Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 06:06 PM

976 posts, read 2,232,372 times

Advertisements

i actually agree with geechie. missouri is a purely southern state. there are zero influences from any other region. it's 100% southern. all the maps that show otherwise are wrong. the us government and census bureau are really stupid. missouri has absolutely nothing in common with its neighboring states (except arkansas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Okay, so you're saying that EVERYONE in that specific area of Missouri- which must by definition- include at least 51% of the total state population uses that (and other) German recipes on a regular basis.

And that somehow makes the area 'Non-Southern', as there are NO significant German communities in the South.

I gotta see the data which proves this.

Please post same.
Thats right, there are no significant German communities in the South.
Since Missouri isnt in the South, here is the population breakdown.

The five largest ancestry groups in Missouri are: German (23.5 percent), Irish (12.7 percent), American (10.5 percent), English (9.5 percent) and French (3.5 percent). "American" includes some of those reported as Native American or African American, but also European Americans whose ancestors have lived in the United States for a considerable time.
German Americans are an ancestry group present throughout Missouri. African Americans are a substantial part of the population in St. Louis, Kansas City, and in the southeastern Bootheel and some parts of the Missouri River Valley, where plantation agriculture was once important. Missouri Creoles of French ancestry are concentrated in the Mississippi River Valley south of St. Louis (see Missouri French). Approximately 40,000–50,000 recent Bosniak immigrants live mostly in the St. Louis area.[citation needed] Kansas City is home to large and growing immigrant communities from Mexico, Sudan, Somalia, and Southeast Asia.
The Mississippi Hills region and the Little Rhine region have the highest concentration of German-Americans in the state.
Their influence on the culture of the state is everywhere.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,970,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i actually agree with geechie. missouri is a purely southern state. there are zero influences from any other region. it's 100% southern. all the maps that show otherwise are wrong. the us government and census bureau are really stupid. missouri has absolutely nothing in common with its neighboring states (except arkansas).
Now you're going into ya-ya land.

I've always said that, based on the preponderence of evidence, Missouri is a transition state, with elements of both Midwest and South.

IF you want to correctly decribe my thoughts on thia all-consuming subject. (I gotta see if the papers in Sydney, Londoa. and Buenos Aires have latched onto it.) I would say that Missouri in a group od states that are their own little region.

And you can call that region...........hell, how about 'Tony'??

Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
No Germans there, either.
Nope, not a one.
Hmmmmmm.....then where did my name come from?
Gotta remember to ask my mama........

Old 10-28-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Now you're going into ya-ya land.

I've always said that, based on the preponderence of evidence, Missouri is a transition state, with elements of both Midwest and South.

IF you want to correctly decribe my thoughts on thia all-consuming subject. (I gotta see if the papers in Sydney, Londoa. and Buenos Aires have latched onto it.) I would say that Missouri in a group od states that are their own little region.

And you can call that region...........hell, how about 'Tony'??
Alphonseland gets my vote.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thats right, there are no significant German communities in the South.
Since Missouri isnt in the South, here is the population breakdown.

The five largest ancestry groups in Missouri are: German (23.5 percent), Irish (12.7 percent), American (10.5 percent), English (9.5 percent) and French (3.5 percent). "American" includes some of those reported as Native American or African American, but also European Americans whose ancestors have lived in the United States for a considerable time.
German Americans are an ancestry group present throughout Missouri. African Americans are a substantial part of the population in St. Louis, Kansas City, and in the southeastern Bootheel and some parts of the Missouri River Valley, where plantation agriculture was once important. Missouri Creoles of French ancestry are concentrated in the Mississippi River Valley south of St. Louis (see Missouri French). Approximately 40,000–50,000 recent Bosniak immigrants live mostly in the St. Louis area.[citation needed] Kansas City is home to large and growing immigrant communities from Mexico, Sudan, Somalia, and Southeast Asia.
The Mississippi Hills region and the Little Rhine region have the highest concentration of German-Americans in the state.
Their influence on the culture of the state is everywhere.
Texas German - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.palmettoroots.org/Auswanderer.html (broken link)

Old 10-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Where do you think those Texans got the recipe for chicken fried steak?

German Food Guide - Schnitzel

Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Where do you think those Texans got the recipe for chicken fried steak?

German Food Guide - Schnitzel
Your source says Vienna.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Camp Jackson Affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Union Captain Nathaniel Lyon hastily raised a militia, gained control of the arsenal (which was under the command of Peter V. Hagner), and started sending all but 10,000 rifles and muskets to Illinois. Lyon's militia had been recruited from German immigrants and members of the Wide Awakes political organization. The Germans in particular were unpopular with many native-born Missourians with Southern backgrounds, who deeply resented their anti-slavery views."

Fun fact to know and tell............................

Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Your source says Vienna.
Try the Byzantine Empire, if you are going to split hairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.