Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
another question to our friends geechie and marmac: do you consider maryland to be northeastern or southern? that state had more slaves than missouri.
I couldn't care less about Maryland.

Their folks aren't the ones claiming their entire state is midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,798 times
I went over the whole Missouri accents thing in one of my classes...I think it was Comparative Politics.
Missouri's history as a swing state or bellwether state reflects the 2 groups that have clashed in Missouri for years...Poor rural whites were sympathetic to the south during the American Civil War, while residents of St. Louis sided with the Union.
The fact that St. Louis city is essentially a city without "a county" also reflects this...St. Louis city voted to secede from the poorer, less efficient, and confederate sympathizing county and they got their way...(Now this is kicking STL in the ass nice and proper)

We make fun of each other...my buddies from far outside of the city say things like Warsh instead of Wash etc...
I always referred to STL and KC cities proper as the midwest and their far outlying suburbs the south...culturally it makes sense.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Go to the last post on page 31 (JimmyWilson's slavery graph/chart) then tell me MO is like every other midwestern state/region.

MO sticks out like a sore thumb compared to other areas/states of the midwest.

Are you colorblind ?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Go to the last post on page 31 (JimmyWilson's slavery graph/chart) then tell me MO is like every other midwestern state/region.

Are you colorblind ?
Try reading the info in the links that are in the post you quoted before you start foaming at the mouth, sweetpea.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 AM

I'll say this much...:P
I'm half black but no one really can tell by looking at me.
As soon as I leave STL city and head to south county, parts of north county, st charles and everything west of it I had never heard people so comfortable using the N word so much in my life...any trouble I've gotten into at home is usually from a situation like this.

I was walking in St. Charles county this summer and a guy screamed from his pickup "go back to Mexico" I thought that was kind of funny afterwards but telling him to go f himself in my standard midwestern american accent gave him a real puzzled look on his face :P

Missouri is very southern. STL is not.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
I'll say this much...:P
I'm half black but no one really can tell by looking at me.
As soon as I leave STL city and head to south county, parts of north county, st charles and everything west of it I had never heard people so comfortable using the N word so much in my life...any trouble I've gotten into at home is usually from a situation like this.

I was walking in St. Charles county this summer and a guy screamed from his pickup "go back to Mexico" I thought that was kind of funny afterwards but telling him to go f himself in my standard midwestern american accent gave him a real puzzled look on his face :P
Your story could happen anywhere in the US.
Sorry it happened to you, but that doesnt mean that Chuckieville is southern, it just means that whoever said that to you is an a**.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Are you colorblind ?
are you?

missouri "sticks out like a sore thumb" compared to southern states as well.

marmac and geechie are probably the same person, or at least they share a common case of selective attention.

i'll state my opinion coming from my philadelphia frame of reference:

missouri has more southern characteristics other midwestern states (although i still believe indiana has many southern traits), but those characteristics do not change the region missouri is a part of. it is more like the midwest than it is like the south. my girlfriend went to vanderbilt (nashville) and there is a stark contrast between culture and attitudes in tennessee vs. those of missouri. conversely, missouri has plenty in common with illinois, especially considering that missouri's largest metropolitan area has suburbs in both states.

ultimately the us government is the authority, and they consider missouri midwestern.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
i'll say this much...
i'm half black but no one really can tell by looking at me.
As soon as i leave stl city and head to south county, parts of north county, st charles and everything west of it i had never heard people so comfortable using the n word so much in my life...any trouble i've gotten into at home is usually from a situation like this.

I was walking in st. Charles county this summer and a guy screamed from his pickup "go back to mexico" i thought that was kind of funny afterwards but telling him to go f himself in my standard midwestern american accent gave him a real puzzled look on his face

missouri is very southern. Stl is not.
bingo !

Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 AM

this is true but having lived all over this country (and other places out of it) I've never encountered this anywhere else. St. Louis is the farthest south I have lived.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
marmac, you obviously didn't read my post. i never denied missouri's status as a slave state. i don't deny rural missouri's commonalities with the south. i do, however, disagree with your assertion that missouri is not a midwestern state. because it is a midwestern state. i'm glad you at least agree that st. louis is not like the rest of missouri. i think that's the point i've been trying to make all along.

and i don't expect you to acknowledge any of the glaring evidence that some of us have posted which demonstrates missouri's contrasts with the south (german, catholic population maps, etc). narrow minded people like you don't like facts that are inconsistent with your preconceptions. you're like a southerner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.