U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 07:17 PM

355 posts, read 2,226,056 times

Advertisements

Hey, guys, I really didn't know where to put this, so I'll try here as well. I also posted this to the "Other Topics" forum....

I moved away from home (Minnesota) when I was 21--moved to TX, lived there for 5 years & moved to CO in September of 06. A couple of weeks ago, my family came to visit me here & ever since they left, I’ve been very sad. When I was young, I was determined to live somewhere new & be on my own. I’m the youngest & the next youngest is 10 years older than me, so I’ve always felt like the outcast in my family. I’m very independent & moving away back then seemed like the right thing to do.

Now it’s 6 years later & I’ve grown up A LOT. I’m no longer the same person I was when I was 21. Man, how things change! I love being on my own & Colorado is great, but here‘s my dilemna………………

I currently live about 45 miles from Denver. My apt lease is up at the end of October--and I have to give a 60-day notice (end of August.) I am planning on going back to school as well in the fall. I have made no friends here (they’ve basically come & gone) & hate my job. Should I……

Move to Denver?
Pros: experience city life, may be able to get a better job (bigger city, more options?) more things to do possibly, probably meet a lot more people…finish school in downtown Denver

Cons: higher cost of living, never lived in the actual city, no guarantees I’d make friends..(then again, there's no guarantees in life, I know)

Move back home?
Pros: family is there, have a couple friends, may be able to transfer with 1 of my jobs to Mpls

Cons: I’ve never lived there as an adult--moved out of my parent’s house when I left, so would be a huge adjustment….smaller city, may not be much to do, may get bored again, don’t know what schools are like there, no guarantee I’d make friends again there as an adult…

This has been tearing me apart for weeks. Has anyone else moved away from home when they were younger?? Is this just homesickness? Or been thru anything similiar that can give me some advice? Anyone else live away from their family and/or moved to a new state without knowing anyone there?

Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to respond

Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 PM

150 posts, read 480,863 times
I left home the day after I graduated high school. Took me 9 years to figure out that is were I wanted to live. Had a lot of good experiences and adventures, coverd a lot of country. Every one should do that and then settle where you are happyest life is short be happy.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
You have two different variables there: choice of metro area (Denver or Minneapolis) as well as city vs. suburbs within each metro area. You say you live 45 miles from Denver-- where are you talking about? Castle Rock? Greeley? Loveland? Fort Collins? Also, where in Denver would you actually be living? One thing is going to school at CU Denver (which I'm thinking about doing too!) or Metro State, another thing is living right downtown. Currently very few people actually live downtown; Denver is not really a "big city"-- at least not yet. There are some very urban neighborhoods surrounding downtown, like Capitol Hill-- is that what you have in mind? From what I've seen, apartments in urban neighborhoods in central Denver will either be gentrified, high priced luxury condos or will be total dumps/ slummy conditions. And do you have to live with your family if you go back to Mpls? In any case, you should be able to find any type of urban or suburban living in either case. I would decide first which city and state you like better. If it was me, I'd go with Denver.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,454,095 times
Stay! Or move somewhere else. Visit home, don't go back there to live. This homesickness you're feeling is only temporary. If you move back home, it may be harder to leave again. Do what the previous poster said, move closer in (I lived in Lakewood for part of my time there, so I feel your pain) and enroll in college. To reduce costs, find a roommate. You'll make friends and feel better instantly!

Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 PM

355 posts, read 2,226,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Stay! Or move somewhere else. Visit home, don't go back there to live. This homesickness you're feeling is only temporary. If you move back home, it may be harder to leave again. Do what the previous poster said, move closer in (I lived in Lakewood for part of my time there, so I feel your pain) and enroll in college. To reduce costs, find a roommate. You'll make friends and feel better instantly!
Yeah, but friends come & go---family is always there. And I wish this was just homesickness, but it's not. It's just called growing up. Thanks, though

Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
One thing, just reading over your post again: If I'm adding up the numbers correctly, you are now 27 years old right? You have to establish your own place in the world, all on your own, eventually, right? Being 27, that's as good of an age as you'll ever be to do that! You have the whole country (the whole world really, but we'll narrow it down to the US for now) at your footsteps. There are many, many great places to live in the USA! I can tell you for a fact, Denver is one of them. Everybody I know from Minneapolis is always telling me it's a great city too (other than how cold it gets in the winter). Both cities have significant hometown spirit. I'd say though, both cities are for the most part fairly suburban. Many people from small towns think that big metro areas are the scary, big, city, when they really aren't. You don't have to scout out every square inch of a metro area like Denver or the Twin Cities; you find a decent place to live, get to know that general vicinity, you find a place to work, you learn how to commute between the two, and that's really all it takes! Other than old, dense cities like NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco, which are a whole other ball game, most American cities, even big ones, are very repetitive, and low dense. It's basically the same formula of single family homes, suburban garden apartments here and there, some strip malls, repeated mile after mile. Many people absolutely hate this, but if anything it's not scary; instead it makes life very, very easy and convenient. If you say you are only 45 miles from Denver, take a trip down there and explore it for yourself! Check out downtown, Cherry Creek, Washington Park-- but while you're at it, check out the suburban areas too. If you're looking for a place that has affordable apartments and close in to the city, look into central to south Aurora, south Denver (along Hampden especially), Littleton, Englewood, Westminster. Just stay away from North Aurora (anything north of Alameda), Lakewood/ west Denver (anything along Colfax or Federal), and Commerce City and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or