Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 AM

268 posts, read 1,614,114 times

Advertisements

Right now I live in China and I've been taking advantage of its High-Speed (200 km/h+) trains. Heck, even its low-speed trains are faster than Amtrak and your average field worker can afford a ticket.

Here's what the Yankee federal government has envisioned:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/au..._map_sized.jpg

Here's what I wanna know my fellow city-dataheads: Where does America need high-speed rail?

I want one from Winnipeg (Yah, I know, it's Canada. I'm sure they'd work on it with us somehow) to McAllen, Texas via Fargo-Omaha-Kansas City, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
California is currently working on the largest public works project in America; a bullet train that will go from San Diego to San Francisco. Funding and taxes have been allocated to this huge effort and California will have trains traveling over 200 mph within the next 10 years; well ahead of any other state.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Florida will have the first high speed rail line open in the country. From tampa to orlando within less than four years. Then from orlando to miami in less than 10 years.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Florida will have the first high speed rail line open in the country. From tampa to orlando within less than four years. Then from orlando to miami in less than 10 years.
Really? Can you cite evidence for this claim? Thanks.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Really? Can you cite evidence for this claim? Thanks.
"Florida is on track to open America’s first HSR express service between Tampa and Orlando in 2015. Trains are projected to reach speeds of at least 168 mph. Florida plans to eventually extend this service to Miami."

Home - Florida High Speed Rail

ConnectUs: Supporting High Speed Rail in Florida

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/oct...igh-speed-rai/

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story...7356&catid=250

Thats the reason why Obama made the announcement of the high speed rail funding in Tampa because the Tampa-Orlando route is the most shovel ready in the US. I-4 b/w Tampa and Orlando was designed to have rail in the median.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:08 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
The high speed rail being built in Florida first may cause the collapse of all other highspeed rail projects in America. This rail is mainly being built for Disney to transport its tourists to Tampa area beaches and will not benefit the commuting public in Florida. This project will have limited ridership and will fail and doom the rest of the projects nationwide. The Bos-Wash corridor or other highly commuter driven market should be first to guarantee the success of these projects. Obama is trying to help the drowning Florida with these jobs but it will done other projects if allowed to proceed.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
The high speed rail being built in Florida first may cause the collapse of all other highspeed rail projects in America. This rail is mainly being built for Disney to transport its tourists to Tampa area beaches and will not benefit the commuting public in Florida. This project will have limited ridership and will fail and doom the rest of the projects nationwide. The Bos-Wash corridor or other highly commuter driven market should be first to guarantee the success of these projects. Obama is trying to help the drowning Florida with these jobs but it will done other projects if allowed to proceed.

Do us all a favor and give up DailyJournalist.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
The Texas Triangle has their plans ready also for HSR, they initially unveiled the plans back in the 1980's but the French Company was a shallow and borderline in debt, along with Southwest Airlines negating it out, this time around its Japan thats taken its interest and the current plans are Houston to Dallas-Fort Worth but will include Austin & San Antonio in Phase II. The Japanese cant afford to not do this otherwise they will borderline extinction due to Chinese competitors in regional markets. So thanks Japan!

You can watch the Slideshow presentation from last month: http://www.scribd.com/doc/37874165/H...l-Presentation
Emmet says it will become a part of Texas Traingle effective 2025.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,114 times
I was reading up on the demise on the Texas Triangle I in the '90s last night. It convinced me to never fly Southwest ever again.

A lot of the Chinese high-speed trains were imported from Germany of all places. There were some Chinese-designed and -built prototypes, but they never put them to use. The Japanese built Taiwan's high-speed line. You can go from Taipei all the way to the south of the island in 90 minutes, which is roughly the same distance of going to Wichita to Kansas City or Fargo to Minneapolis, both of which takes about three hours and some change to get to.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
I just read an article in the Charlotte news stattion about the Charlotte-Atlanta HSR getting a grant to complete its high speed rail. Check it out folks. As you see, the Southeast is not totally uneducated and backwards.
$4.1M To Be Awarded For Charlotte-To-Atlanta High-Speed Rail - Sponsors News Story - WSOC Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.