U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM

1,173 posts, read 5,513,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbsUP View Post
OK, this is a bit confusing.
Only for now.

Quote:
But I know one thing for sure - I will take the 4-year course.
Good call.

Quote:
So, that 4-year course gives you a bachelor's degree?
And after that I can try to get an advanced degree?
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Is it worth it to get an advanced degree?
Wage is going to be slightly higher? Or what...
Depends on your field but the answer is nearly always, 'yes,' and the wage will generally be substantially higher throughout your lifetime. If you get into a top tier graduate program for an MBA, you'll be on the fast-track to upper management and can usually expect high five figure to middle six figure jobs right out of school depending on what industry you go into and where you live.

My advice though is not to worry about that. A lot will change over the next four or five years and you may change plans completely. Focus on the task at hand. Worry about grad school a year after you start college.

Quote:
Thanks again!
Most welcome again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 6,458 times
One last question!
What's the difference between Two-Year MBA, Morning MBA, Three-Year MBA, One-Year MBA for Executives and Omnium Global Executive MBA? Or you don't know?
Thanks.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 5,513,917 times
Quote:
Basic types of MBA programs:

Full-time MBA programs are the most common, normally lasting two years. Students enter with a reasonable amount of prior real-world work experience and take classes during weekdays like other university students.

Accelerated MBA programs are a variation of full time programs, lasting 18 months or less, involving a higher course load.

Part-time MBA programs normally hold classes on weekday evenings, after normal working hours. Part-time programs normally last three years or more. The students in these programs typically consist of working professionals, who take a light course load for a longer period of time until the graduation requirements are met.

Executive MBA (EMBA) programs developed to meet the educational needs of managers and executives, allowing students to earn an MBA or another business-related graduate degree in two years or less while working full time. Participants come from every type and size of organization – profit, nonprofit, government — representing a variety of industries. EMBA students typically have a higher level of work experience, often 10 years or more, compared to other MBA students. In response to the increasing number of EMBA programs offered, The Executive MBA Council[4] was formed in 1981 to advance executive education.

Distance learning MBA programs hold classes off-campus. These programs can be offered in a number of different formats: correspondence courses by postal mail or email, non-interactive broadcast video, pre-recorded video, live teleconference or videoconference, offline or online computer courses. Many respectable schools offer these programs; however, so do many diploma mills. Potential students should check the school's accreditation before undertaking distance learning coursework. -Wikipedia
Most Master Degree programs are two years in length. The programs you're describing are just different labels for the programs described above. The one year/Executive MBA programs are designed for those with at least 10 years of management experience because they will receive credit for their life experience. Acceptance into these programs requires a Bachelor's Degree and a solid work history. The pompously-named Omnium is geared to those executives involved in international business. A morning MBA is just another way of saying part-time.

All these terms are just different types of the same thing. As you rise in education, so does your specialization so there are different programs for different needs. They're all MBAs, but they're tailored to people in different businesses. Some, like, "The Morning," are just a way of saying that they hold their classes part-time in the morning.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM

But in the end you will get the same education? Like, there are jobs which require MBA. If I'll finish one of those MBA's (which will suit me the best) - I will be able to get that job? If they'll like me, of course.
You described all those MBA titles, except for Three-Year MBA.
What's that? Another part-time?
Thanks.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,732,526 times
First off, you need to decide which country better suits your needs and will offer a high quality life. Coming from Latvia would be an improvement either way, but in my opinion Canada is BY FAR a better country than the U.S.
(I'm an American BTW) and wish I would have moved to Canada at your age.
You are very young but considered legally an adult.

Do you have any friends or family in either Canada or the states? If not, and you feel confident going by yourself, check in to your country's school system for how to go about stydying abroad. You can get a Student Visa but will have to have somewhere around $25k before you cross the border. This is to ensure that you don't become a "public expense"

If I were you, I wouldn't even look towards the U.S.
Start researching Canada, save your money, learn about procedures and follow them to a tee. Becoming a citizen shouldn't be difficult but then again everything is political in life, so as a result difficulty rears its head.

As long as you follow proper protocol, have patience, and know what you want you'll be fine. Start as an International Student and take it from there.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:16 AM

Thanks for the answer.
But why don't you move to Canada, if you like it?
Are you sure you're not just telling me to stay away from the U.S. only because you don't want new immigrants?
Anyways, I haven't decided what to do, yet.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 AM

147 posts, read 633,884 times
come to the united states!
in case of war your guarenteed safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or