Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,369 times

Advertisements

What body of water runs through your city?Is it a pretty or ugly body of water? Is it very polluted or would it be safe to swim in? If it isn't safe,what caused it to become polluted? Pictures of your river would be appreciated,thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
The Susquehanna River, which flows from Upstate NY to the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, is very polluted. The sad thing is that the water is pristine upstream and doesn't become heavily-polluted until it hits the Wyoming Valley of Northeastern Pennsylvania, where acid mine waste and raw sewage both enter the body of water. There's a foul odor near parts of the river on warm summer days that keeps people away from Pittston's newer Riverfront Park. There's efforts underway in Pittston to capture mine waste as it enters the river via the Butler Mine Tunnel Shaft, but that's only a drop in the bucket. Most people avoid the river at all costs, even though wildlife is gradually returning to the Susquehanna, indicating a small step in the right direction as far as reclamation efforts are concerned.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times
lol...St. Louis has MULTIPLE bodies of water running through it. I generally tend to have a very keen admiration for the Mississippi River north of where the Missouri River flows into it. The water is much cleaner and bluer....on a sunny day it looks absolutely gorgeous. The Missouri River tends to have a lot of silt in it, so when it merges with the Mississippi, the Mississippi becomes more bluish-brown with the silt of the Missouri River added into it and generally becomes more noticeably brown the further south you go as the silt has more time to become a homogenous mixture in the Mississippi. I'd say as far as bodies of water go they are ok in general. The Mississippi is much prettier than the Missouri and generally much cleaner. The Missouri River is muddy and much dirtier, and also not quite as wide as the Mississippi. However the water from both rivers regardless of their location is NOT safe to drink I'd say under any circumstances no matter where you are. pollution is probably due to the typical gases and CO2 emitted by the city. In terms of swimming, ABSOLUTELY not. You try swimming in either the Missouri or the Mississippi the currents will easily overpower you and you most likely will end up drowning. They are not called The Great Rivers for nothing. The river near Downtown St. Louis is pretty polluted I'd say due to the landfill across the river from downtown that is East St. Louis, and also just mainly due to the fact that cities in general will pollute.

Last edited by ajf131; 07-17-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.