U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM

22 posts, read 68,032 times

Advertisements

Greetings City-data members!

My name is Steve and I am 28 years old. I am single with no kids, a web developer by day and a DJ by night. I have lived in Dayton, Ohio for 12 years now, having moved here with my family while in high school.

The social scene here in Dayton is pretty much played out for me. I see the same 100 people every night when I go out. I have also done just about every activity Dayton has to offer to the point of exhaustion. I have even started driving to Cincinnati and Columbus on the weekends in the last year or so for the more favorable nightlife. I believe Dayton has just become too small for my tastes. As a result, I have recently started considering a move to a larger metro area. I would love some input and suggestions for consideration.

Things that are important to me in a city (in order of importance):

Low cost of living

Excellent Nightlife (with reasonable prices, I prefer to avoid $20 cover charges)

Favorable IT Industry/Job Market

Generally friendly people in my age demographic (18-32)

Character (this is somewhat objective, but typically I would describe this as a city that people are proud to live in. If you talk to a Dayton person about Dayton, all they do is complain. This is the absence of character.)

Accessibility to entertainment districts (In Dayton, it takes me 12 minutes to get from my suburban condo to the Oregon district. This would be awesome if the Oregon district was worth going to.)

Being close enough to drive home and visit the family once or twice a year.

Food

Beauty (I like cities with nice views/skylines)

Light Rail system (Not *that* important, but I've always wanted to live in a city with a 'train.')

Here are the cities I have been considering:

Pittsburgh
Kansas City
St. Louis
Louisville
Cincinnati

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 PM

351 posts, read 975,291 times
I highly suggest Raleigh,NC.

America's best jobs in the hottest markets | 3 | Business 2.0

Accolades (http://www.raleigh-wake.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&filename=accolades.html - broken link)

America's smartest cities - Aug. 31, 2006

Richest and Poorest Cities in America - DCJobSource.com

Old 07-06-2007, 03:49 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
Check out Mpls/St Paul--meets all of your criteria (cost of living? Probably higher here in MSP, but I'll bet IT jobs pay better here, more than offsetting the difference). And you can take the train to our entertainment district. It's a pretty happy crowd on those trains after midnight on Fridays and Saturdays!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
Pick St. Louis I like where you are going...DO NOT leave the lower Midwest. KC, Cincy, and St. Louis would all be EXCELLENT choices in my opinion. You would still have about the same climate as Dayton. As for the Twin Cities, I have never been there so I couldn't help you out, but if you do not like winter, I can say DO NOT move to the Twin Cities. The advantage with St. Louis and KC is that in case you ever need to come back to Dayton, you need only hop on I-70. With Minneapolis you would have to go through Chicago. Cincy you'd barely even leave your own back yard..just like what? 60 or 80 miles south on I-75? You're basically not even really going anywhere

Old 07-06-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Pick St. Louis I like where you are going...DO NOT leave the lower Midwest. KC, Cincy, and St. Louis would all be EXCELLENT choices in my opinion. You would still have about the same climate as Dayton. As for the Twin Cities, I have never been there so I couldn't help you out, but if you do not like winter, I can say DO NOT move to the Twin Cities. The advantage with St. Louis and KC is that in case you ever need to come back to Dayton, you need only hop on I-70. With Minneapolis you would have to go through Chicago. Cincy you'd barely even leave your own back yard..just like what? 60 or 80 miles south on I-75? You're basically not even really going anywhere
Downtown Cincinnati is 47 miles from my driveway. This is why its low on the list. I'd prefer to move somewhere with an equal or warmer climate. Dayton, Ohio definately gets as cold as I'd care to be.

Also it should be noted, I spent my ages 2-8 in Kansas City and 8-16 in St. Louis so neither area is completely foreign to me (although I'm obviously more familiar with St. Louis).

Last edited by djphrenzy; 07-06-2007 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM

351 posts, read 975,291 times
Raleigh, NC Nightlife

Raleigh Nightlife & Entertainment Guide

Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Raleigh looks awesome and it's about the same distance as Kansas City... might have to add it to the list, although it's not much bigger than dayton, in terms of metro population. What's the age demographics of the population there? What about taxes and cost of living? Public transportation?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,035,185 times
Default wanting out of dayton

do not choose cincinnati or louisville as they are way too similar to dayton.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
With Minneapolis you would have to go through Chicago.
No you don't. Take I-94 to Madison, then I-39 to Bloomimgton, then I-70 to Dayton.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No you don't. Take I-94 to Madison, then I-39 to Bloomimgton, then I-70 to Dayton.
Correction...you'd have to get on I-74E from Bloomington to Indianapolis, then take I-465 south to get on I-70 to go to Dayton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or