Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 06:23 AM

23 posts, read 58,322 times

Advertisements

I am a 33 year old single male that is considering a move. My Company is flexible in where I work and has allowed me to basically go where I would like. I have no children to consider, so it's basically me.

I currently reside in NE Ohio and am looking for a place in the South East -- Carolinas, Georgia, VA., etc. I need to be close to metro areas for work - Charlotte, Greensboro, Atlanta, etc. Something like that, but not necessarily those cites. I just can't live in the sticks.

I enjoy working out, being outdoors, golf, cars, socializing, etc. I'm looking for a place that has reasonable living expenses - I was in Chicago at one point, so I am familar with how expensive it can be. NE Ohio is certainly less. The cost of living is important to me as I'm living on one income and need to make that go as far as I can. My job is stable and I earn a salary that includes a Company car, benefits, etc.

With that, what States/cities would you suggest that would meet my needs?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 04:46 PM

26,859 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Any of the cities you mentioned would work well for you. Others to consider would be Raleigh, Richmond and Charleston. I personally think Greensboro/Winston Salem is too often overlooked by those looking into NC. It's very affordable and as a larger metro area (30th largest metro in the US) it offers plenty to do and a centralized location convenient to the mountains and not too far from the beach. Given your criteria mentioned would give it a thumbs up from my end. Good luck!

Greensboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Winston-Salem, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,172,830 times
I've never been there, but I've read a lot of positive things about Augusta, Ga. Sounds like a nice area if it's not too small for you.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,496,870 times
Really, it looks like a lot of the SE would work for you - might need to narrow it down. Mountains vs ocean? Do you like Nascar? Will you be doing much air travel?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 AM

I would be doing much air travel, no. I'm not really into Nascar, but that's really only b/c I haven't had much exposure to it. What about the best cost of living options - low housing/bang for the buck options as well as low property tax and/or no income/sales tax?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:07 AM

26,859 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timesrchangin View Post
I would be doing much air travel, no. I'm not really into Nascar, but that's really only b/c I haven't had much exposure to it. What about the best cost of living options - low housing/bang for the buck options as well as low property tax and/or no income/sales tax?
All in all for cost-of-living bang for the buck you might consider Jacksonville, FL. Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jacksonville is a growing metro area with very nice newer single family home (3 or 4 bedroom) options right around the 200K mark with taxes averaging around $2750 per year.

Check out the southside of the city around BayMeadows or the St Johns Town Center area. St. Johns Town Center

Also very importantly, there is no state income tax.

Jacksonville International Airport has pretty decent non-stop access to many cities. JIA (http://www.jia.aero/Airportinfo.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,628,810 times
I like Greenville, North Carolina, Knoxville, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Florida, Tampa, Florida, and Atlanta, Georgia. The one big plus about Florida's cities is that you won't have an income tax.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Thanks for all of the useful information here, folks! I'm trying to figure out where I would really like to be. That's hard based on only scouring the net. I've spent a decent amount of time in the South, but I've never lived there. Just vactioned there, which is obviously very different. I appreciate the input, thanks again!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,054,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I like Greenville, North Carolina, Knoxville, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Florida, Tampa, Florida, and Atlanta, Georgia. The one big plus about Florida's cities is that you won't have an income tax.
You won't in Knoxville, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.