U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2010, 12:39 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,506,747 times
Reputation: 941

Advertisements

When I was a kid, house and storeowners used to have to worry about Mischief Night - the night before Halloween when kids would TP trees, break windows with stones, break into cars, and set dumpsters (and in some cases, houses,) on fire.

I haven't seen or heard of this lately - did kids wimp out? What Happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Location: A far, far better place
2,513 posts, read 2,716,791 times
Reputation: 1773
12,000 volunteers in Detroit are going out on patrol for the next three nights to ensure that Devil's Night doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,114 posts, read 27,837,303 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
When I was a kid, house and storeowners used to have to worry about Mischief Night - the night before Halloween when kids would TP trees, break windows with stones, break into cars, and set dumpsters (and in some cases, houses,) on fire.

I haven't seen or heard of this lately - did kids wimp out? What Happened?
It's not that the kids "wimp out" it is the simple fact that the adults grew a pair and stopped the kids from being vandals for a night. Tradition or not, vandalism is vandalism and should NOT have a blind eye turned toward it even for a night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 02:37 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,127 posts, read 26,359,477 times
Reputation: 4922
we have "organized mischief" for the kids in our neighborhood - they get to silly string and TP where they're given permission. not quite like when I was growing up (eggs and nair!) but they like it and it gets it out of their system. they must clean up (within reason) afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,088,876 times
Reputation: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
12,000 volunteers in Detroit are going out on patrol for the next three nights to ensure that Devil's Night doesn't happen.
funny since people haven't participated in Devil's Night since the early 90s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT/NoVA
20 posts, read 21,021 times
Reputation: 23
It happened where I used to live. They'd silly string random people walking down the street and egg anything they feel like. It was mostly just junior high kids. High school kids in my town weren't that lame. A few places got teepeed but it's not too common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
4,278 posts, read 4,776,879 times
Reputation: 7402
Here in the midwest its called devils night, mischeif night is what they call it out east. I remember about 25 years ago when Detroit had huge devils night issues. Even in smaller towns kids went out with toilet paper, eggs etc. Im pretty sure devils night is kind of a thing of the past. No one ever talks about it anymore, you dont hear about fires in Detroit anymore. Like the previous poster said, seems like at least 15-20 years since devils night has been an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2010, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
2,146 posts, read 1,546,128 times
Reputation: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Here in the midwest its called devils night, mischeif night is what they call it out east. I remember about 25 years ago when Detroit had huge devils night issues. Even in smaller towns kids went out with toilet paper, eggs etc. Im pretty sure devils night is kind of a thing of the past. No one ever talks about it anymore, you dont hear about fires in Detroit anymore. Like the previous poster said, seems like at least 15-20 years since devils night has been an issue.
I was going to post "you mean Devil's Night" in the thread jokingly?

Actually, I think that Devil's Night is generally a Michigan term. Mischief Night is mostly in the New Jersey area. Most places in the country don't really have a name for it from what I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2010, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Ohio
383 posts, read 751,588 times
Reputation: 299
Default damage night

In Cincinnati it was called Damage Night. This is the first time I've heard anybody even mention the topic since the mid-70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,137 posts, read 8,770,515 times
Reputation: 9340
I don't think this has happened here since I was in high school in the seventies. Good riddance. It was always stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top