Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM

27,537 posts, read 28,625,446 times

Advertisements

The D.C. area is actually notable for the large number of fine dining restaurants that attract politicians, lobbyists, high-ranking officials, etc. The variety of ethnic foods is very good too. You just have to know where the best ones are. However, I think D.C. still has a ways to go for good "street" food since the blue-collar element isn't as significant as in other northeast cities.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-07-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
So because the food is bad it is not northern? I bet the southerners on here will love that one.

There are people in DC from all over the country. All of the southern Congressional/Senatorial representation employs southerners from their respective districts/states. They in turn have lobbyists, administrators, non profit workers from these states. You will hear more southern accents than in NYC.

DC has a confusing road network.

DC is a polite city, it has to be due to the political nature of it.

Go to St. Louis, another northern city with little snow that shuts down. DC is on the cusp of the south, but still northern.
How interesting that your extremely biased opinions trump someone that actually LIVES there and is telling you their experiences as a day in-day out resident.

Could you possibly be more divisive?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,110 times
No.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 AM

35 posts, read 129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Ask anyone out of city-data and they won't tell you that Delaware and Maryland are Southern states. Next time you're in Georgia or Mississippi, refer to Baltimore, New Castle, Annapolis, and D.C. as "the South". The reaction will be as if you said Iran was a U.S. state.
First response from my South Carolinian friend "You must be stoned?"
Down here in dirty Delaware , the very bottom of the map! Deep south!
http://www.livinginshade.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Delaware-dont-mess.gif (broken link)

Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,153 times
Nothin more southern than Wilmington, Delaware I tell ya. Mint Juleps, plantations, southern accents... and that view of New Jersey is just dee-vine.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:18 PM

35 posts, read 129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Nothin more southern than Wilmington, Delaware I tell ya. Mint Juleps, plantations, southern accents... and that view of New Jersey is just dee-vine.
That's what im saying They don't call Dover "little Memphis" for nothing!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Looking it up DC has a fairly average percent of Southern Baptists, but average is apparently high for a "Northern city." Although Kansas City has a noticeably higher percent than DC so maybe I've wasted your time. Still it allows me to link to a kind of a neat map to play around with. (On the Baptist thing set it to over 6% and you'll see what I meant.)

Electoral Explorer - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,539 times
Quote:
It also counts Delaware as part of the South....DELAWARE!!

The U.S. Census Bureau is simply outdated and backward on this issue, as if the Mason-Dixon line has any relevance today. It has none.

Ask anyone out of city-data and they won't tell you that Delaware and Maryland are Southern states. Next time you're in Georgia or Mississippi, refer to Baltimore, New Castle, Annapolis, and D.C. as "the South".

The reaction will be as if you said Iran was a U.S. state.
And you people in the south wonder why non-Southerners look at southern people as being Geographically, Historically, and Socially Ignorant.......

As long as people in the South Deny Maryland, DC, and Delaware as being part of the South(but continue to Claim Texas as a Southern State when in reality it is part of the Southwest) they will continue to remain in the shadows as being looked upon as people of ignorance and not to be taken seriously by non-Southerners.........

Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
The U.S. is a democratic republic, no?

How about an actual polling of the actual people who live in those states, rather than lazily relying on some backwards, outdated information?

The federal government has been wrong on one million and one things in the past half century. They certainly aren't going to tell me or any logical person that Delaware, Maryland, and DC are the South!
And people from the south for no logic reason at all continues to deny Maryland, DC, and Delaware as being part of the south and continues to rgue against reality need to be checked into a Mental Hospital..........

Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
There are two problems with this discussion:

Some people are comparing white culture and lingual accents

Some people are comparing African American culture and AAVE

There are plenty of areas in the US where the white population does not speak with southernisms, but the AAVE in the area has a strong southern influence. The blacks in D.C. may very well be southern, but the whites are not (any more.)

As an example, there are soul food restaurants (black cooks,) in Philadelphia which offer greens, grits, ox tail, etc... Whereas your typical white diner would not carry these.

It is important to understand that, unfortunately, white and blacks are still very well isolated from each other, and it is extremely plausible that D.C.'s black community is southern, and its white community is without southern culture (grits, greens, y'all, etc.) They may work and play together, but when they go home, they speak differently, eat different things, and practice different religions.

One thing I can tell you, is that Baltimore is an old industrial, Catholic, high-crime brick rowhome city. It is most certainly northern.

Another MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR fault of these discussions is the people who matter when considering this. The people in D.C. most certainly are correct. If they say they are southern, they are. If they say they are northern, they are.

Is somebody from Boston going to be accurate? No. Somebody from Louisiana? no. If anything, I would get somebody from St. Louis, Missouri, and ask them what they considered the area. Obviously, New England is very far north and might consider it southern. Again, obviously, Louisiana would consider it northern. What matters is people who are of neutral location, and the how the people feel who actually live there.

But, again, you may find that the blacks from D.C. consider themselves southern, and that the whites consider themselves northern, which is normal, as many blacks came from farther south, and many whites came from farther north.
Just because you Hate Baltimore does not dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern state and there is nothing that you or any other Maryland Hating Southerner can do to change that Fact.........

Sorry but thats reality.....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.