U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does attitude play a role in whether you'll like a city or not?
Yes, absolutely. 15 46.88%
To a certain extent. 16 50.00%
Not at all. 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:18 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,284,268 times

Advertisements

Do you think attitude plays a role in whether you'll like a city or not? What I mean is that if your mind is set that you WILL NOT like a certain city that no matter what the city is like, you won't like it. As is true with the opposite that if you are intent to like a city, no matter how bad that city is, you still like it.

Or do you believe that attitude doesn't play a role in determining whether you like a city or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,718,689 times
Attitude ABSOLUTELY plays a role. That is a significant problem you can see on certain message boards on this forum... Phoenix.. [cough].... for example. People move to Phoenix who clearly do not belong there to begin with, but then make the situation worse by having such a bad attitude. Then they use the city-data forums to vent their frustration. I'm not 100% satisfied with Phoenix either, but I try to have a good attitude. Like right now-- it's still hot outside, and I'm sure it will be extremely hot tomorrow, but the monsoon season has officially begun! I just went outside, and it's actually raining-- just a couple of drops, but liquid water is falling from the sky. The air outside smells beautiful right now. Even a place that resembles hell, temperature wise, can still have it's moments! Attitude can make or break one's residence in a city.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:02 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,572,027 times
More than anything, really.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Id say to a certain extent. If you go having a mindset of "oh, this is gonna suck", more than likely it will. However, most people go with an open and positive mind, then come a few years realize what a huge mistake it was. It goes both ways...

Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,517 times
Ohio sucked before I came, it sucked when I was there, and it's still sucking. Whenever I open up the Wall Street Journal and see those dumb regional business promotional ads ... well, they are worse than the crap Ontario puts out in the media.

Indiana is less crappy than Ohio, if only because Hoosiers have nothing to present. The Buckeye state is home to the finest area of decayed cities and high taxes in the country.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:36 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,731,454 times
Good thread Speedy! Yes, Attitude is important with all things in life but there's more. Attitude resembles our outlook and there's only so much that we as humans will choose to bare. If we're talking in the context of cities, then to a degree if you bring a positive outlook it will not make the situation feel "as bad." Nonetheless, Attitude goes only so far, unless you're willing to change everything about you in order to adapt to any given situation. Most people can't do that and really I see no reason to do it. If you go through this process over and over you'll find yourself lacking identity and focus and eventually become a chamellion.

My suggestion: Know yourself and know what kind of environment/people you want to be around. If you hate 100 degree temperatures it would be stupid to move to Texas or Arizona NO MATTER how good the job prospects or cost of living may be. In the end it's propably more of a question surrounding how much are you willing to sacrifice and is it really necessary.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:50 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Yes definitely....when I run into someone really nice and gracious anywhere north of Baltimore I assume they moved from the South and the Midwest. When I run into an ******* down South or in the Midwest, I assume they're a northern transplant and not a local.

No matter what I just will not like PHiladelphia, Boston, or New York, period. But if its a city that I don't have preconceptions of, it's all based on my experiences.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,433 times
Yes definately, you can tell several of the posters on these forums moved to Texas with bad attitudes and now they constantly bash the state on these forums. Same goes for other states too!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:16 PM

30,203 posts, read 67,344,690 times
Great thread idea, Speedy! I'd have to overwhelmingly say yes to your inquiry. It just seems like far too many people in my own city like to dwell upon the negatives in life as opposed to celebrating its positive attributes. It is perfectly possible to be quite content living in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre if you put a smile onto your face and look for a silver lining. Of course we have potholes, taxes, political cronyism, homophobia, etc. in our MSA, but if you instead focus on our off-Broadway shows, ski resorts, state parks, Victorian architecture, great independent restaurants, mountain scenery, etc., then those "cons" are more than negated.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:29 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,985,972 times
I am an optimist. I believe that positive attitude will bring positive results (or the best of). Negative attitude will provide failure. This is true in everything: life, business, etc.

Sadly, not many people that I know have this attitude. I am glad that I did not listen to them. Had I listened to them, I would not be where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or