Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 PM

24 posts, read 224,063 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm a California girl through and through. Grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and LA and love both cities immensely (maybe love Southern California a little more, but that's because I was fortunate enough to live right by the beach in Santa Monica and also a really nice part of Pasadena).

I live in rural New England now but need to think about relocating once I graduate from school (my profession will require me to live near at least a medium size city).

Here is what I'm looking for (I know it's virtually impossible to find a place that has ALL these qualities, but I just need some ideas):

- affordable housing (a comfortable, nice 2,700+ sq. ft. house for between $300,000 - $400,000)
- good public school system
- diversity (both my husband and I are multiracial, although on the surface it's hard for people to pinpoint what race I am. Also, "diversity" to us means more than just black/white. It includes Asian, Hispanic, etc.)
- community with liberal, educated, progressive and accepting people (think Obama lovers, gay rights, acceptance of interracial relationships, environmental tree huggers, etc.)
- good food culture and restaurants (I hate chains like Applebees, Olive Garden, etc.)
- access to good produce and supermarkets (organic, local farms, community supported agriculture, etc.)
- small businesses (I HATE Wal-Mart and other uber chains like it)
- lots of parks, walking trails, nice scenery
- close access to at least a medium size airport (where airlines like Southwest or JetBlue fly to)

So what do you think???

Honestly, all these qualities definitely sound like California but the West Coast is not an option (too far and too expensive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 AM

27,209 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Your criteria just completely described Chapel Hill/Carrboro, North Carolina

It's part of the Raleigh/Durham metro area with plenty of air service options from RDU. Raleigh-Durham International Airport (http://www.rdu.com/airlineflightinfo/rduairlines.htm - broken link)

Chapel Hill/Carrboro have a wealth of homes in your size/price range criteria ranging from new construction to beautifully restored historic homes.

As a university town (UNC-Chapel Hill), the area has a wide range of ethnicities.Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools are among the best in the nation.Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - CHCCS: Who We are Facts & Figures

The area is a liberal mecca (the current mayor is openly gay) and a high percentage of college educated residents. (77% hold a four year-degree). Obama carried Chapel Hill/Carrboro with a 75% majority.

The food scene in the area is fantastic.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...&sortby=rating

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...show_filters=1

Chapel Hill has a nice Whole Foods Market, as well as a nationally recognized gourmet market (A Southern Season), award-winning source for gourmet gift baskets and fancy foods.,

Carrboro has one of the best farmers markets in the country About Carrboro & Southern Village Farmers' Markets,

and a terrific food coop.
Weaver Street Market - Home

The cultural scene is extensive thanks to UNC, with everything from traveling exhibits at museums and galleries, live music performances, nationally famous local music venues (Local 506 LOCAL 506 Shows!!! and The Cat's Cradle WELCOME TO CAT'S CRADLE!) and much more. Raleigh is 30 minutes away and Durham just 15 minutes away.

Recreational opportunities in the area are extensive as well. Both towns are very bike/pedestrian friendly. There is a vast network of trails also. Check out Duke Forest Duke Forest

Both towns (Chapel Hill and Carrboro ) feature plenty of independent retailers.
Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership ::Shop (http://www.downtownchapelhill.com/sub3.php?s=shop - broken link)
Carr Mill
Downtown Carrboro Map

The list goes on and on and would highly recommend checking it out. Good luck!

Last edited by kyle19125; 11-03-2010 at 07:05 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz88 View Post
Okay, so I'm a California girl through and through. Grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and LA and love both cities immensely (maybe love Southern California a little more, but that's because I was fortunate enough to live right by the beach in Santa Monica and also a really nice part of Pasadena).

I live in rural New England now but need to think about relocating once I graduate from school (my profession will require me to live near at least a medium size city).

Here is what I'm looking for (I know it's virtually impossible to find a place that has ALL these qualities, but I just need some ideas):

- affordable housing (a comfortable, nice 2,700+ sq. ft. house for between $300,000 - $400,000)
- good public school system
- diversity (both my husband and I are multiracial, although on the surface it's hard for people to pinpoint what race I am. Also, "diversity" to us means more than just black/white. It includes Asian, Hispanic, etc.)
- community with liberal, educated, progressive and accepting people (think Obama lovers, gay rights, acceptance of interracial relationships, environmental tree huggers, etc.)
- good food culture and restaurants (I hate chains like Applebees, Olive Garden, etc.)
- access to good produce and supermarkets (organic, local farms, community supported agriculture, etc.)
- small businesses (I HATE Wal-Mart and other uber chains like it)
- lots of parks, walking trails, nice scenery
- close access to at least a medium size airport (where airlines like Southwest or JetBlue fly to)

So what do you think???

Honestly, all these qualities definitely sound like California but the West Coast is not an option (too far and too expensive).
What about Syracuse NY and specifically most of the East Side neighborhoods and into DeWitt, an Eastern suburb. It's not far from Syracuse University and LeMoyne College. It's an area known for having a good sized Black middle class, Jews, Arabs, Asians(Eastern and Southern) and other groups including Gay folks. You see quite a few IR couples in that part of town, as well as other parts of the area. You are close to plenty of parks in that part of the city and in DeWitt. JetBlue flies out of Hancock International regularly. There's organic and health food stores in that area. You get chains in terms of restaurants, but you also get some good locally owned restaurants from Spanish Caribbean, Indian, East Asian, Arab, Mexican and so on. Home prices are affordable, even with taxes factored in. Here's some good websites for you:

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Jamesville Dewitt School District (for the very good schools)

cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Syracuse University

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

Westcott East Neighborhood Association

Westcott

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott Street Cultural Fair

Westcott Community Center

Southeast University Neighborhood Association

http://www.unpa.net/

Thornden Park Association - Syracuse NY

City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Manlius Pebble Hill School: A Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 Private School near Syracuse, New York (a good private school in DeWitt that would be a good option if you want to live on Syracuse's East Side. It is relatively diverse too.)

Welcome to University Hill!

Syracuse Neighborhood Information + Homes For Sale | cnyrealtor.com

welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Syracuse Hancock International Airport

Natur-Tyme - Your Shop in Syracuse for Discount Vitamins,* Nutritional Supplements, Sports Nutrition, & Books on Health Issues

Syracuse Real Food Co-op | NCGA

Shopping for Organics*| Wegmans

Onondaga County Parks :: Syracuse, NY

Chuck Hafner's Farmers Market & Garden Center

It's Farmers Market Season in Syracuse and Central New York (with video) | syracuse.com

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Onondaga (broken link)

and much more......

Ithaca NY is another place in this part of NY that would definitely fit the description as well: Ithaca City School District - Home

Home > Downtown Ithaca Alliance

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

http://ithaca.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=NONE&SEC={A32743F9-A812-49AA-8CC6-5BAA46CFF96C (broken link)}

Cornell University

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Home in Fly Ithaca : Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport, New York

RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate |= (make sure it says Ithaca for SD, as some might be in the Lansing SD, which is also a very good SD).

Old 11-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Also, look into the Rochester NY area and specifically the SE quarter of the city and into suburbs like Brighton and Henrietta(Rush-Henrietta SD). In the Buffalo area, look at North Buffalo, Elmwood Village and Amherst(Amherst and Williamsville SD's, maybe Sweet Home SD too). In the Albany area, look at Niskayuna, South Colonie and North Colonie SD's. All are close to either Albany, Schenectady and Troy. Maybe even the Binghamton area, you can check Vestal or the nicer parts of Johnson City, which is a good and relatively diverse suburban SD in many ways(ethnically, economically, urban and suburban types of neighborhoods, blue collar and white collar, etc.).

Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM

24 posts, read 224,063 times
wow, thanks you guys! BTW, Kyle19125, the Raleigh triangle area is on the top of our list so far. Glad you confirmed it's as nice as it sounded when we read about it. Thanks ckhthankgod.... I don't know much about upstate NY. Will definitely check it out!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz88 View Post
wow, thanks you guys! BTW, Kyle19125, the Raleigh triangle area is on the top of our list so far. Glad you confirmed it's as nice as it sounded when we read about it. Thanks ckhthankgod.... I don't know much about upstate NY. Will definitely check it out!
Also, is there anything else you are looking for in terms of sprawl vs. density or city size limits? I would think that Ithaca would be perfect due to having an Ivy League school in Cornell and Ithaca College, which is also a good private college. Ithaca has some very walkable areas and the school district is very diverse due to being a college town. It's Asian population makes up about 16% of the city's population and you also have noticeable Black and Hispanic populations.

With Syracuse, you would be in an area that has the 5 general groups in terms of race/ethnicity including Native Americans. For instance, the LaFayette SD is about 33% Native American due to the Onondaga Indian nation being just south of the city. some other school districts have their share as well. There are plenty of cultural festivals as well in Downtown Syracuse too. As for schools, I mentioned J-D(as we call it here), but some give the Syracuse city East Side schools a shot, specifically on the Ed Smith K-8 and Nottingham High track. Many of the professors and staff at Syracuse University live in that part of the city and like I mentioned before into DeWitt and even the Fayetteville-Manlius area of the Eastern suburbs. There are many private school options in that part of the area as well.

Here's some other Upstate NY areas you might want to look into:
The Elmwood Village Association
Elmwood Village - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau
Hertel Has It!
North Buffalo, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.parksidebuffalo.org/
Snyder, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants
Welcome To Monroe Avenue
Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA
Welcome to Swillburg!
Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki
Brighton, NY - Official Website
Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki (Check out the Brighton neighborhoods, as there are some walkable neighborhoods and the schools are very good and diverse)

Center Square Association : HomePage
Delaware Area Neighborhood - Albany NY
Pine Hills Neighborhood Association, Albany, NY - Home
HNA Helderberg Neighborhood Association Albany NY
H/PNA ALBANY NY: News
Town of Colonie - New York - Homepage
Eagle Hill Neighbors United

Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District (very close to the old Niskayuna area. Niskayuna is arguably the "best" SD in the Capital Region)
Niskayuna, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and some school districts you might like in Upstate NY:
Test Scores for North Colonie Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for South Colonie Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Guilderland Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Brighton Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Rush-Henrietta Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for West Irondequoit Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Gates-Chili Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Ithaca City School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Sweet Home Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Amherst Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Williamsville Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Jamesville-Dewitt Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Liverpool Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Johnson City Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Vestal Central School District | GreatSchools

Also, check schools in the urban school districts, as there are some good schools in those districts and there are some good charter schools in Upstate NY cities too. Some of the smaller major cities in the state might have good schools/programs in the HS too. If you notice a change in test scores, NY decided to change the standards of the tests during the year. So, that is why the scores are lower than the years before.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, is there anything else you are looking for in terms of sprawl vs. density or city size limits? I would think that Ithaca would be perfect due to having an Ivy League school in Cornell and Ithaca College, which is also a good private college. Ithaca has some very walkable areas and the school district is very diverse due to being a college town. It's Asian population makes up about 16% of the city's population and you also have noticeable Black and Hispanic populations.

With Syracuse, you would be in an area that has the 5 general groups in terms of race/ethnicity including Native Americans. For instance, the LaFayette SD is about 33% Native American due to the Onondaga Indian nation being just south of the city. some other school districts have their share as well. There are plenty of cultural festivals as well in Downtown Syracuse too. As for schools, I mentioned J-D(as we call it here), but some give the Syracuse city East Side schools a shot, specifically on the Ed Smith K-8 and Nottingham High track. Many of the professors and staff at Syracuse University live in that part of the city and like I mentioned before into DeWitt and even the Fayetteville-Manlius area of the Eastern suburbs. There are many private school options in that part of the area as well.

Here's some other Upstate NY areas you might want to look into:
The Elmwood Village Association
Elmwood Village - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau
Hertel Has It!
North Buffalo, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parkside Community Association |
Snyder, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants
Welcome To Monroe Avenue
Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA
Welcome to Swillburg!
Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki
Brighton, NY - Official Website
Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki (Check out the Brighton neighborhoods, as there are some walkable neighborhoods and the schools are very good and diverse)

Center Square Association : HomePage
Delaware Area Neighborhood - Albany NY
Pine Hills Neighborhood Association, Albany, NY - Home
HNA Helderberg Neighborhood Association Albany NY
H/PNA ALBANY NY: News
Town of Colonie - New York - Homepage
Eagle Hill Neighbors United

Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District (very close to the old Niskayuna area. Niskayuna is arguably the "best" SD in the Capital Region)
Niskayuna, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and some school districts you might like in Upstate NY:
Test Scores for North Colonie Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for South Colonie Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Guilderland Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Brighton Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Rush-Henrietta Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for West Irondequoit Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Gates-Chili Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Ithaca City School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Sweet Home Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Amherst Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Williamsville Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Jamesville-Dewitt Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Liverpool Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Johnson City Central School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Vestal Central School District | GreatSchools

Also, check schools in the urban school districts, as there are some good schools in those districts and there are some good charter schools in Upstate NY cities too. Some of the smaller major cities in the state might have good schools/programs in the HS too. If you notice a change in test scores, NY decided to change the standards of the tests during the year. So, that is why the scores are lower than the years before.
Another city I forgot to mention is Troy. It's city school district had a 80% grad. rate and is diverse as well. Lansingburgh SD is also in Troy and could be a good fit too. It also has some good colleges and private schools too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.