Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
This MO debate is similar to the Maryland debate. Even though MD is below the Mason-Dixon line many parts of it(Baltimore for instance)are much more Northeastern in culture.
Central Maryland has a Northern Culture...
Eastern Shore and Western Maryland in my opinion has a more southern culture feel.

In my opinion of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Central Maryland has a Northern Culture...
Eastern Shore and Western Maryland in my opinion has a more southern culture feel.

In my opinion of course.
I agree with eastern shore, but not western. Western Maryland and northern West Virginia are very much like Pennsylvania.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 PM

141 posts, read 381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Atlantic County and Cape May County, NJ are below the Mason Dixon Line, so I guess those counties are part of the South to.
Just Atlantic County northwest of the Garden State Parkway JK...but Cumberland County and most of Salem County are also below the Mason-Dixon line. Not that any of that matters. lol

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Why do people think so highly of the Mason-Dixon line? It's not even the slave vs free state divide!

It is only what divided PA from Maryland, add in WV and Delaware then thats it.

the only current location it has is where it was first put on the map.

The modern day North/South Divide is the VA/NC and KY/TN line

Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Why do people think so highly of the Mason-Dixon line? It's not even the slave vs free state divide!

It is only what divided PA from Maryland, add in WV and Delaware then thats it.

the only current location it has is where it was first put on the map.

The modern day North/South Divide is the VA/NC and KY/TN line
I agree with the VA/NC divide, though even cities like Raleigh have transplants that make that city feel less southern. The KY/TN divide? Nahh, I would still consider Kentucky to have lots of southern influence to determine it is below the line. More like OH/KY. The real debate is where the northern/midwestern culture starts on that end. I'd say somewhere in Ohio despite the fact that it is somehow included as a midwestern state.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Atlantic County and Cape May County, NJ are below the Mason Dixon Line, so I guess those counties are part of the South to.
Let me guess; your from one of them states south of Virginia, north of Orlando, and east of Houston............

Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM

141 posts, read 381,719 times
Or maybe he's fromphilly (see what i did there?) lol

Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
And let's not forget a large chunk of the lower Midwest would be southern as well if we were to use the M-D line exclusively.

Never mind $mk8795. He's a stubborn idiot. Nothing you say will leave any mark on him. That's why I just make fun of him now.
Deep rooted Maryland hatred is what spews the discrimination against Maryland being a southern state.......

They won't admit it but it could very well be having something to do with old confederate bitter feuds with some of the Maryland soldiers assisting the Union to defeat the South during the civil war.........

Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Deep rooted Maryland hatred is what spews the discrimination against Maryland being a southern state.......

They won't admit it but it could very well be having something to do with old confederate bitter feuds with some of the Maryland soldiers assisting the Union to defeat the South during the civil war.........

Sounds like the north to me!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBpa View Post
Or maybe he's fromphilly (see what i did there?) lol
Apparently the name and location in the upper right is not enough for Mr. $mk. XD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.