Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times

Advertisements

You can't tell me that Jeffersonville, Indiana or Cairo, Illinois is the Midwest. Those areas may be in Midwest states but they're very Southern.

As far as Kansas: Galena, KS is certainly southern -- it's right next to Joplin, MO and Arkansas and has the rural poverty typical of the south. Much of Kansas is similar to Oklahoma -- maybe not "The South," but certainly more southern than northern (similar to parts of Ohio, Indiana, etc.). You wouldn't confuse Wichita with Duluth, MN or Green Bay, WI, or even Bismarck, ND or Des Moines. Wichita is more like Oklahoma City or even Amarillo, Texas.

The Blues: I said Chicago (where the art form was popularized/mainstreamed, if not developed) not Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I disagree with the I-70 comment. Traditionally the border between the south and the midwestern states is the Ohio River. West of that point Missouri admittadly becomes really iffy on what region it belongs in, as it is kinda both. Anywhere north of the Ohio river is NOT the south. Southern Indiana, Illinois and Ohio may have been influenced by the south but they are still much more midwestern than southern. Heck the Detroit area is heavily influenced by the south too, does that mean that area should be considered southern as well??? No where north of KY, period.
i refuse to consider cairo, illinois part of the same region as minneapolis..

Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 AM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
the rural poverty typical of the south.
That is bullsh*t. There is not any more "rural poverty" in the south then there is anywhere else. Kansas has rural poverty so its "southern" despite its location. Get out of here with that ignorant crap.

Last edited by sk8t; 11-05-2010 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
i refuse to consider cairo, illinois part of the same region as minneapolis..
Cairo falls into the category of "below US 60" even though the highway actually splits to the south of Cairo to the scary double bridge crossing at the confluence.
Read back in the thread for the discussion about US 60.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
You can't tell me that Jeffersonville, Indiana or Cairo, Illinois is the Midwest. Those areas may be in Midwest states but they're very Southern.

As far as Kansas: Galena, KS is certainly southern -- it's right next to Joplin, MO and Arkansas and has the rural poverty typical of the south. Much of Kansas is similar to Oklahoma -- maybe not "The South," but certainly more southern than northern (similar to parts of Ohio, Indiana, etc.). You wouldn't confuse Wichita with Duluth, MN or Green Bay, WI, or even Bismarck, ND or Des Moines. Wichita is more like Oklahoma City or even Amarillo, Texas.

The Blues: I said Chicago (where the art form was popularized/mainstreamed, if not developed) not Detroit.
Kazoo, c'mon, some your assertions are just getting outlandish. If we go by some of your criteria, then "the South" -- in some form or fashion -- is going to end up being any state east of the Rockies and south of the Great Lakes!

Good Lord, there is enough controvery over which peripheral states (i.e. those immediately surrounding the generally considered Deep South) are "truly Southern" in the minds of the "Deep South purists"

But seriously, at least all of those (Texas, Kentucky, Virginia, Arkansas, etc) have the cultural and historic credentials to be Southern. More importantly though, the majority of those within see themselves as Southern and living in the South. This is just not true of the examples you give.

I would honestly be willing to bet that (and I KNOW I can back it up with survey data) that -- in aggregate -- residents of the the "least Southern" part of Texas (or Kentucky, Oklahoma, Virginia) will STILL have a decidedly more self-identification with the South -- far and away -- than will anyone of the Midwestern areas you call Southern. Really, it is not even in the ballpark.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
So Cairo, IL is not the south? Jefferson City, MO is not the south? Galena, KS is at the extreme SE part of Kansas, bordering southern Missouri. How is it not southern? I never said all of Kansas is southern, but Galena certainly has southern overtones.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 PM

423 posts, read 823,850 times
Quote:
As far as Kansas: Galena, KS is certainly southern -- it's right next to Joplin, MO and Arkansas and has the rural poverty typical of the south.
Actually rural poverty is more typical for the West rather than South.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
So Cairo, IL is not the south? Jefferson City, MO is not the south? Galena, KS is at the extreme SE part of Kansas, bordering southern Missouri. How is it not southern? I never said all of Kansas is southern, but Galena certainly has southern overtones.
No, sweetpea, Jeff City is NOT the South.
Solidly Midwestern.
Why cant you accept this?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:00 AM

126 posts, read 322,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
The point he's making is Maryland isn't no damn southern state, Maryland is too superior to be labeled as such.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Oh my goodness! Superior is definately a relative term considering that most Southerners consider themselves superior to the North.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:05 AM

126 posts, read 322,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
That is bullsh*t. There is not any more "rural poverty" in the south then there is anywhere else. Kansas has rural poverty so its "southern" despite its location. Get out of here with that ignorant crap.
I agree. It cracks me up,...well, actually it disgusts me, how Northern white liberals claim to be the people who care about the poor. They enjoy kissing up to Third World immigrants all the time, but they don't seem to mind picking on poor white people in the South. In fact, they are pretty hateful towards us, which kind of tells me there is an element of jealousy as opposed to pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.