U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-07-2011, 01:01 AM
 
3,544 posts, read 4,813,440 times
Reputation: 1537

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
There really is no need to argue about this. If you look at maps on Ancestry (US Census), southern speech (red line across Ancestry map from Telsur Project, Univ. PA) and the map of religion in the US, the stereotypical Mason-Dixon line is fairly intact.


here's a better one for the religion map



so this map ^

this one... (accent)


and this one...


can be used to define the North-South boundary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM
 
2,333 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
here's a better one for the religion map



so this map ^

this one... (accent)


and this one...


can be used to define the North-South boundary.
It could be but what it looks like is that the information above is more opinion based and not on solid facts........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,594,867 times
Reputation: 1864
Current location of the Mason-Dixon line-blank-map-united-states.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Walker, Louisiana (I miss the mountains)
1,839 posts, read 1,843,587 times
Reputation: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
It could be but what it looks like is that the information above is more opinion based and not on solid facts........
Why? Because you can't accept the truth about Maryland? You know, about how it has much more in common with the north?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Walker, Louisiana (I miss the mountains)
1,839 posts, read 1,843,587 times
Reputation: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Aw c'mon. I'd at least put some of Kentucky and Virginia on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
 
2,333 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Why? Because you can't accept the truth about Maryland? You know, about how it has much more in common with the north?
Baltimore, DC, NOVA, and Richmond maybe.....

But if you talking about Southern Maryland(South of DC) and Maryland Eastern Shore, I can definitely detect that you have not ever step foot in Maryland outside of Baltimore and DC.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
 
2,333 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Aw c'mon. I'd at least put some of Kentucky and Virginia on there.
Maryland and Delaware too......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Walker, Louisiana (I miss the mountains)
1,839 posts, read 1,843,587 times
Reputation: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Baltimore, DC, NOVA, and Richmond maybe.....

But if you talking about Southern Maryland(South of DC) and Maryland Eastern Shore, I can definitely detect that you have not ever step foot in Maryland outside of Baltimore and DC.......
Been out to west Maryland too. But I admit, I have never been to MD south of DC.

But no part of Delaware is southern. You know your little Mason Dixon line? Yeah, it excludes Delaware. Look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 PM
 
2,333 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Been out to west Maryland too. But I admit, I have never been to MD south of DC.

But no part of Delaware is southern. You know your little Mason Dixon line? Yeah, it excludes Delaware. Look it up.
All I gotta say is take a trip to Dover(they have a nice casino), Delaware from the DC/Baltimore area, you will find that parts of Delaware resembles rural Virgina and rural North Carolina.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM
 
Location: The City
19,196 posts, read 16,283,461 times
Reputation: 5658
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
All I gotta say is take a trip to Dover(they have a nice casino), Delaware from the DC/Baltimore area, you will find that parts of Delaware resembles rural Virgina and rural North Carolina.....

The Delmarva Peninsula is a world all to its own; especially south of Salisbury MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top