U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 PM

306 posts, read 1,123,912 times

Advertisements

We are beginning our research into moving out of the blasted heat box they call Phoenix AZ. We have been looking at Boise, ID for awhile, but lately I've been thinking about southern Oregon.

Can anyone draw a comparision?

We have two young children and my husband is a Park Ranger?
We seek a city with some culture (not too small) and natural beauty close by.
Weather is very important. I don't want to be soaking wet most of the year ... but I'm also tired of the frying pan all summer,

Boise's weather seems ideal:
11 inch of rain - 21 in of snow.

Phoenix:
7 in of rain - no snow

What is the driest but, largest city in Oregon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,836,725 times
Medford and Boise are quite different.

Since you brought up weather, that is where they might be most similar. Both have hot and dry summers and low humidity. (hot, of course, being a relative term coming from Phoenix). Hot for the Northwest, though, with upper 80's being a typical high in July. Boise is colder and gets more snow in the winter, but neither are dumped on. Medford is much drier than points north like Eugene and Portland.

Beyond the weather, the differences are huge. Boise is the cultural and governmental center of Idaho. Medford is a definite 2nd tier city in Oregon. In Boise you will find trendy clubs and eateries, a thriving college scene, and a growth rate off the charts. Medford is trying hard, but has little of this.

Both are relatively inexpensive, with Boise's growth increasing real estate values probably a little faster.

Not trying to be negative about Med-town. It's a nice place to raise a family, just not quite in the same league with Boise.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 AM

51 posts, read 159,721 times
Hi Alley TD, I'm also looking at Idaho and Oregon as a new home. I spent 38 years in Phoenix and totally agree with you about "the box!" You didn't mention this city, but thought I'd bring it up to you, just in case. Fort Collins, CO seems to have a lot of what you mentioned you're looking for. Low humidity, not too small. Sunshine and snow (very often the same day!) It's about an hour north of Denver (1 1/2 hours from DIA) and about 20 minutes south of Cheyenne. You might check it out on both city-data.com and Google Earth, and see if it might fit your needs. I've been here for 9 years and it is lovely, but I can't afford it. (Who knows if there exists a place that I like that I can also afford!)

Old 07-09-2007, 12:27 PM

16 posts, read 74,885 times
If you are looking for a little culture, Medford is probably a better choice since it is so close to Ashland. Ashland has a lot available in way of the arts. The Annual Shakesperean Festival happens there.

If it were me making the choice, I would choose Medford over Boise any day. Boise (Idaho in general) seems so isolated and cold.

Here are the weather averages for Medford. Medford Weather Forecasts on Yahoo! Weather

Medford is lower in elevation, so it doesn't get as much snow as higher elevations do. Here's a helpful link too: Medford, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2007, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,015 times
I am from Idaho and california and have never looked back! Medford is one of the greatest towns in Oregon. If you love the out doors and rivers,lakes parks etc.. this is the place for you. If you want to look at homes in the area go to my web site [urlModerator cut[/url]. There are also good links for the area.

Last edited by Waterlily; 07-11-2007 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: No realtor ads

Old 07-19-2007, 10:59 PM

35 posts, read 177,399 times
You are dreaming.

Yes, Boise gets 11 inches of rain a year.

No Boise does not get 21 inches of snow, more like max 5 inches.

Also, summers can match AZ with >100F for days at a time.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 PM

Lived in Boise for 30 years :-)

Old 07-19-2007, 11:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,267,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziera View Post
You are dreaming.

Yes, Boise gets 11 inches of rain a year.

No Boise does not get 21 inches of snow, more like max 5 inches.

Also, summers can match AZ with >100F for days at a time.
I thought they confused it with another Boise, which gets over 20 inches of snow per year.

Either way - I just looked up the "Climate Summary" for Boise, IDAHO, and found a yearly average of 19.5 inches of snow per year.

Myself, I've lived in Boise for a while, and next to Medford. Personally, I'd take Medford over Boise, not so much for city culture, but because there is more stuff closer, like Crater Lake east, the ocean a couple of hours west, and a lot of mountains.

But I'd also take Grants Pass over Medford, for a southern Oregon city.

For rural, I like Applegate Valley where we are at, with a Jacksonville, Oregon, address. We are 15 minutes from Medford.

As a 19 year old, I liked Boise for a while, as a city. But it was too cold in winter for me, and I felt isolated like being in the middle of nowhere.

Do a search for Grants Pass Climate Summary. Or, look up Applegate Valley, which is between Medford and Grants Pass. Applegate Valley and Grants Pass have nice climates, and are surrounded with mountains.

If you search for .... Applegate Valley Video .... without quote marks, you will encounter a few video clips, photos, and local website links.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM

That must be 19 inches of snow in the mountains.

Like I said I lived there for 30 years and occasionally a couple of inches would fall but it would melted by late afternoon.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,267,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziera View Post
That must be 19 inches of snow in the mountains.

Like I said I lived there for 30 years and occasionally a couple of inches would fall but it would melted by late afternoon.
Looks more like the National Weather Service stats for Boise Airport - is that in the mountains?

There seems to be some discrepency, because the snowfall totals exceed the yearly precipitation levels.

Unless they mean "rain" by precipitation. To me, its rain and snow.

Is snow's value in precipitation, it's melted amount?

Check out their stats page and see if it looks like the flat land, or high land.

The snow depths showed max depth at 11" on some years in the past few decades, and that would be a single event.

Has anyone seen a foot on the ground at one time, in Boise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or