Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,237 times

Advertisements

Hi. Advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm planning to emigrate to the States in 3 or 4 months. I am an American Citizen so there is no issue with permits etc. However my parents left the States when I was a few months old so I'm not familiar with the more general local info. I live in Dublin, Ireland and have wanted to move to the states for years!

I'll be moving alone and I'm looking to move to somewhere with decent employment opportunities for those looking to work hard. I'll probably rent a room via craigslist initially. I have property & motor sales experience, an Business & IT Diploma and I also have experience managing a Fast Food outlet.

I love running and boats and places with lots of trees and lakes or the sea (Sounds Cheesy!). I don't drink or smoke and love health foods etc. I'm ambitious, outgoing and hard working.

I've been considering San Francisco as I have some friends there but employment prospects look bad there? I love New York but wouldn't fancy living in NYC, I lived in Montauk, Long Island for 3 months & loved it though.. I was born in Springfield MA but know nothing about the place!

Can anyone suggest places for me to consider? I know this is very vague but I'll be doing my research!

Thank you!

Daniel.

Last edited by Danny29; 11-02-2010 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Boston would be your best choice.

Visitors | City of Boston

Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Boston would be your best choice.

Visitors | City of Boston
Great choice...If you don't mind a smaller city, the Syracuse and Albany areas of NY might work. Behind Boston, both metros are tied for second in terms of the percentage of people of Irish descent in the US. Both have the lakes and rivers close by. There are health foods stores in both and the unemployment rates for both are below state and national averages. Both are affordable, with Syracuse being more so. Here's a good website for jobs: Central New York Jobs

Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 AM

66 posts, read 184,909 times
Dublin, Ohio.
But really- you should check it out, because there is a lot of opportunity in the Columbus, Ohio area.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 4,237 times
Thanks for the replys!

ckhthankgod: Syracuse looks promising! I'll be looking into that one further. Thanks for the link too. I'm not specifically looking for areas with a lot of American-Irish though that could be a plus I'd imagine.

NJPhilliesPhan: Thanks, Boston is in my top 5 even though I'm still not sure why... maybe it's the cool accent!

jus10dk: Thanks!

Anymore Advice & Suggestions would be Great.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:25 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
I would say Boston, Chicago, and Philly. All these cities have strong Irish-American roots and you will probably be looked upon in a good light by people since you are from Ireland. Boston is more expensive than the other two if that is a factor.

San Diego may also be good since you like outdoor activities and the weather is pleasant year round. Finding work might be tough out there though.

Seattle is another nice city on water that has beautiful surroundings.

I would add Milwaukee and Cleveland as dark horses. Not as flashy as the others, but seem to meet your requirements and are very cheap cities to live in.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
What about Minnesota? The state has a great economy and lots of trees and lakes. The Twin Cities (St. Paul and Minneapolis) are the major cities in the state, and Duluth, Rochester and Mankato are smaller cities in Minnesota. Would you prefer a big city or smaller town?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Minneapolis and Denver come to mind for me here.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Chicago area or Boston area.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny29 View Post
Hi. Advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm planning to emigrate to the States in 3 or 4 months. I am an American Citizen so there is no issue with permits etc. However my parents left the States when I was a few months old so I'm not familiar with the more general local info. I live in Dublin, Ireland and have wanted to move to the states for years!

I'll be moving alone and I'm looking to move to somewhere with decent employment opportunities for those looking to work hard. I'll probably rent a room via craigslist initially. I have property & motor sales experience, an Business & IT Diploma and I also have experience managing a Fast Food outlet.

I love running and boats and places with lots of trees and lakes or the sea (Sounds Cheesy!). I don't drink or smoke and love health foods etc. I'm ambitious, outgoing and hard working.

I've been considering San Francisco as I have some friends there but employment prospects look bad there? I love New York but wouldn't fancy living in NYC, I lived in Montauk, Long Island for 3 months & loved it though.. I was born in Springfield MA but know nothing about the place!

Can anyone suggest places for me to consider? I know this is very vague but I'll be doing my research!

Thank you!

Daniel.

Is there a certain climate your looking for? cause if you don't mind the heat in the summer you might check out the Texas cities like Austin,Houston,Dallas and San Antonio

Austin

Austin, TX | Austin Events, Hotels, Attractions and More | AustinTexas.org

GACC | The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce :: Austin, Texas

Houston

Visit Houston Texas - Houston Tourism, Houston Events, Special Offers, Info & More! - Greater Houston CVB

Greater Houston Partnership | Advocacy for Houston's Business Community | GHP

Dallas

Dallas Events, Hotels, Meetings, Shopping, Dining, and More! - VisitDallas.com

Home - Dallas Regional Chamber

San Antonio

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.