U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:42 PM

21,634 posts, read 30,238,989 times

Advertisements

I do not like Houston or Texas. I look forward to moving to Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 06:42 PM

30,178 posts, read 67,320,481 times
I love living just outside of Scranton, PA. We're two hours from Manhattan or Philadelphia for spur-of-the-moment fashion shopping trips or a Broadway performance of RENT, yet we have a fraction of the cost-of-living and crime rates. I'd assume that both will change for the worse though as NYC's metro area now abuts our own and is continuing to push westward into Northeastern Pennsylvania. There's just so much to do here---3 major malls, 1 major outlet mall, 1 lifestyle center, several ski resorts, golf courses, museums, the NY Yankees AAA affilliate, the Pittsburgh Penguins AAA affilliate, several semi-professional football teams, a great Philharmonic, off-Broadway shows, great state parks, whitewater rafting, major concert venues, art galleries, coffee houses, ethnic/cultural festivals, home of NBC's "The Office," historic architecture, etc.

Nevertheless, I've often pondered relocation to Duluth, MN, Ithaca, NY, Amherst, MA, and Burlington, VT, but something inside of me keeps me from going through with it. I think I'm seriously just afraid that I might find someplace better than Scranton and will never return. As such, I'm staying put!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 07-07-2007 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 PM

362 posts, read 1,631,588 times
I like St. Louis, but I have good days and bad days. Given the choice, I would move just because I'm from the west originally, and it's hard to make the transition from west to midwest - the west always calls you back...

Old 07-07-2007, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 16,805 times
Well??? I have lived in four different states, they all have had good and bad points. I am planning on moving to a fifth state next yaer. So I guess I would have to say no for now.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:12 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,541,027 times
I dearly LOVE where I live! NOLA area.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
I dearly LOVE where I live! NOLA area.
I've always wanted to visit New Orleans. I might be visiting family in Shreveport next year, at which point we'd head down to NOLA for a few days. How have you been recovering after Katrina? I continually hear horror stories about violent crime, poverty, entire neighborhoods that have yet to be reclaimed post-flood, etc. Is there any merit to that, or is it all hysteria tossed at us by the liberal television media? I'd love to come down for a visit, but I wouldn't dare consider it if I'm going to be mugged as soon as I stepped into the French Quarter! We actually had a few students from Tulane University come to colleges right here near Scranton, PA to take their courses, so we had a slight "connection" to the tragedy. Those who know me best from this forum know that I LOVE urban photography, and I'd be tempted to just saunter around taking hundreds of images of NOLA's architecture to showcase on City-Data. Would I be safe in doing so? I'm sorry to sound like a "Chicken Little," but all we've been seeing on the news around here is how much of a hellish war zone NOLA is now.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,541,027 times
Shreveport is a long drive away from NOLA, but if you're going to spend a few days it would be worth it. Recovery here is relative, it depends on where you are in the area. Some neighborhoods are doing better than others. For example the now famous 9th Ward, it was totally destroyed and a few residents are back, many homes are not gutted and yards are full of 4ft tall weeds. Then you can go to Broadmoor, where many residents have returned and are rebuilding. Half of the population in NOLA is gone. Despite the media leaving the impression that people are waiting for a free ticket to come home, that is not true. Some are just not interested in returning, some are waiting until the area economically recovers, and others are taking a wait and see stance on the levees.
The crime problem here is not exaggerated. Since K there are sometimes multiple murders in one twenty-four hour period. What isn't said by the media is that the murders are drug related, mostly dealers fighting over lost territory due to K. I'm a little 4'9" tall woman and I feel perfectly safe walking in the Quarter day and night. I've never been mugged, and the 2 people who I knew that were mugged were in the CBD (central business district).
My advice would be to come on down, we love our tourists. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here stopped you on the street and thanked you for visiting (something that has developed since K). Just like any other city you visit, don't wander off by yourself, if you drink, have a reliable buddy, and be aware of your surroundings. I can confidently say you would be safe sauntering around uptown (Garden District), and in the Quarter. City Park is a nice place to photograph as well and there is the NOMA (N.O. Museum of Art).
Sorry this is so long, you should go to the Louisiana forum for other opinions as well as nola.com and check out the visitors section for others' opinions. I hope ya'll come, but with all the bad press the city is getting I can certainly understand why people are put off. Best wishes...

Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I love living just outside of Scranton, PA.
SWB, I'll hand it to you, you are definitely passionate about living in between Scranton and Wilkes Barre, PA! You've turned it into a personal project, going on a photo tour of practically every town within a 100 mile radius. I know you are very idealistic about what you think Scranton can turn into. But are you sure that Scranton is the right city for you? It seems like after reading what the other people on the NEPA forum have to say, Scranton isn't exactly what you make it out to be. Perhaps you really belong IN New York City or Philadelphia, instead of two hours away?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:42 PM

100 posts, read 425,427 times
It's not easy being a Republican in the bluest state in the US, but I must say that I love Warwick, Rhode Island. Close to everything, very little crime and almost no blight in a city of 85,000, great food, 25 minutes from the best beaches in the Northeast, great airport, good schools, great entertainment, less than ten minutes from Providence, less than an hour from Boston, three hours from great skiing. I know, I know the politicians are corrupt, the locals are provincial, the taxes are high but I still love the place.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
SWB, I'll hand it to you, you are definitely passionate about living in between Scranton and Wilkes Barre, PA! You've turned it into a personal project, going on a photo tour of practically every town within a 100 mile radius. I know you are very idealistic about what you think Scranton can turn into. But are you sure that Scranton is the right city for you? It seems like after reading what the other people on the NEPA forum have to say, Scranton isn't exactly what you make it out to be. Perhaps you really belong IN New York City or Philadelphia, instead of two hours away?

I've often wondered this myself, especially now as a large slew of my friends left after high school for college (never to return), and those who stayed will be high-tailing it out of here after graduation, contributing further to our "Brain Drain" epidemic. We actually have what is known as a "Revolving Door" phenomenon in NEPA---young college graduates are running out of here faster than bats out of hell to NJ and NY to "chase the big bucks" while empty-nesters and retirees are flooding back into our area for the "lower cost-of-living" and "outdoor recreation." I believe we're right up there with Florida and Arizona as far as the concentration of senior citizens is concerned, and this trend is only helping to reinforce that.

The only thing that attracts me to NYC and Philly themselves is the prospect of finally finding a soul mate. I'm becoming rather lonely being the rare "gay hip twenty-something" in an area of Conservacrats (socially-conservative Democrats), and I feel like a fish out of water. Then again, I'm willing to drive the two hours to Manhattan or Philly to go on a date perhaps twice a week, and hopefully I can spend that time trying to "woo" my catch back to NEPA with me. All of my ex-boyfriends/dates have been NJ/NY transplants in the Poconos---the local dating scene is abysmal due to that aforementioned "Brain Drain" phenomenon, in which most of my peers who remain are of a less-than-desirable caliber.

I quite honestly don't know what keeps me here at a time when everyone I know is saying "You're too good for Scranton. Get out of this festering hole before it eats you alive!" Even some of our teachers in high school would tell us to leave, and many parents encourage their children to relocate for college so that they'll have an empty nest to sell in order to relocate to the "promised land" of the South. I suppose this is just my rebellious side showing through again: "Why should I listen to everyone else. I'll show them!" LOL!

I suppose a certain part of me also feels like I have a civic responsibility to step up to the plate in the future to help save our city and rectify its ills, as I seem to be the ONLY one on the NEPA sub-forum who can stop whining and crying long enough in order to try to come up with some decent ideas as I ponder a future run for political office here to make things better for everyone. If I were to simply abandon NEPA, then how would I have made anything any better for future generations?

I'm still a firm believer that our area is poised for a growth spurt once the NY/NJ crowd realizes we exist. At the very worst, I can buy a home cheap in a few years and then reap the benefits of an appreciated price in 10 years, cut my losses on trying to "save" the area, and follow my classmates away to NJ/NY. What's so good about Jersey, anyways, if they're all moving HERE while we're moving there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or