Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times

Advertisements

I like being in the middle of country plus living in the middle of the country in a major city. Would not give up this location for any other one. I can go anywhere I want from here although I can have fun without going anywhere as well...so take that everybody else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
I live in a northeastern suburb of Cincinnati. I have to say it's a great place to live, get an education, make a living, raise a family, and buy a home. I have two parks and a nature preserve within walking distance of my home. I can walk alone, even at night, and feel safe. The cost of living isn't outrageous. Medical care is plentiful. People are nice and pretty polite here. There are a lot of things to do for fun and a lot of entertainment venues. We have a fantastic library system. Our water tastes good and there's never a shortage. The only things
I don't like are the weather (too many cold gray days for me) and the city of Cincinnati itself (too much crime and the city leaders don't get much done).

Old 07-07-2007, 11:13 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I like being in the middle of country plus living in the middle of the country in a major city. Would not give up this location for any other one. I can go anywhere I want from here although I can have fun without going anywhere as well...so take that everybody else!
I thought that their was a town in St. Louis County called Town and Country? The total number of different suburb names in the St. Louis metro is unbelievable compared with the KC metro.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,389,691 times
I live in Northern Virginia, an area where I grew up and absolutely hate. I left the area for college and then moved around a bunch for awhile afterwards seeing the country and the world, but a family situation of sorts called me back to the area unfortunately, and after the situation was resolved of sorts, I found myself stuck for financial reasons and have been here way longer than intended (around 1.5 years) and am looking forward to my move to New York in four weeks.

The DC area is a great area for a lot of different things and a lot of different people, but I've been there, done that, and it's just not for me.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
I love it where I am, will never move ever again. Ive seen the whole country many times over, but the Chicagoland area is where the heart is, there are too many wonderful things about the area to ever warrant a move elsewhere.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,353 times
All Chicago suburbs sound the same ... Park Forest, Oak Forest, Oak Lawn, Oak Park ... Oakey Oke ...

Many/most super small suburban incorporations are wealthy enclave areas. Cleveland and St Louis seem to have a lot of these 400-people dots on the map.

Midstate Illinois pleases me more than northeast Ohio, or southeast Michigan outside of Ann Arbor. I wonder if it's possible to stay in grad school and do some corn farming on the side. Selling ethanol would help to cover my gas bills from long driving trips. It's a matter of hundreds of miles to go to any major (more than 200,000 people) metro areas. I got back from Chicago last night about midnight.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:24 AM

195 posts, read 1,079,824 times
Minneapolis, I like it.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,391 times
New Hampshire is the best state by far I've ever lived: and I've lived in alot of them. Proximity to beaches, mountains, all the camping, hiking, skiing you could want, Boston trips on occasion. Even as the state more and more resembles "Maineachusetts", the politics are still far from left field compared to the rest of the nutty northeast. Political perspectives are much more sensible and residents actually hold their government pretty accountable for its actions in this state. Property taxes have skyrocketed, but I've learned there is at best, a double edge sword to any place you choose to reside.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,310,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemadx View Post
I sure don't. Milwaukee, WI is the pits. I can't wait to get the hell out of here. Nothing to do in this boring city, especially for young professionals.
I live in Milwaukee, and I really like it. I can be pretty picky as far as places to live are concerned, but Milwaukee goes beyond providing for my needs and most of my wants. For the things that Milwaukee doesn't cover, that's what summer travel is for.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
One thing I've noticed as I've lived over a good bit of the world is: "Attitude is everything". I've been assigned to USAF bases that are considered "Very Desirable" and there were still people who couldn't wait to leave. And I was actually assigned to two bases that got lots of bad reviews. I LOVED both assignments...go figure. We ended up in the Dayton, OH suburbs by happenstance and I'm glad we did. We love the cost of living, our jobs and the area. Yes, we miss the mountains out West. And we love the hustle & bustle (and abundant entertainment options) of the East Coast. And we enjoyed Texas. And every other place we've been. We can always visit. We don't think we'll ever leave OH (we'll just buy a Tuscan villa as a second home if we win the lottery...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.