Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:35 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Interesting about St Charles. Is the old captiol builing still standing?

RE: St Paul, we are actually not all that centrally located in the state. St Paul city proper lies just 20 miles from the Wisconsin border. The western border of the state is a good 250 miles from St. Paul. The geographic center of the state is near Brainerd, which everyone here considers "Northern" Minnesota.
Not that I know of, but there are signs indicating it was the first capitol of Missouri if you drive west on I-70 from downtown St. Louis...you see it right after crossing the Missouri River on the Blanchette Bridge west of the airport. St. Charles stopped being the capitol of Missouri I'm pretty sure in the first half of the 19th century. There is a street called First Capitol Drive or something and I believe it is part of a section of Missouri State Route 94. It runs over I-70 in St. Charles near the Missouri River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 11:31 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Not that I know of, but there are signs indicating it was the first capitol of Missouri if you drive west on I-70 from downtown St. Louis...you see it right after crossing the Missouri River on the Blanchette Bridge west of the airport. St. Charles stopped being the capitol of Missouri I'm pretty sure in the first half of the 19th century. There is a street called First Capitol Drive or something and I believe it is part of a section of Missouri State Route 94. It runs over I-70 in St. Charles near the Missouri River.
Not surprising I guess, if it's that long ago. We were in St Charles several years ago for a wedding and I remember First Captiol Dr. now that you mention it. The church was in a 50s type suburban area, but I've been to the old downtown area (hope it is still there) and I know it is ancient.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Not surprising I guess, if it's that long ago. We were in St Charles several years ago for a wedding and I remember First Captiol Dr. now that you mention it. The church was in a 50s type suburban area, but I've been to the old downtown area (hope it is still there) and I know it is ancient.
Yep, you just described St. Charles at least from the rumors I've heard...I really don't have any need to go there that often. I've never actually been to the old downtown area myself (I think)...I know I drove up first Capitol Drive and yes it seemed like I'd just driven back in time 50 years....it completely changed its look just about a mile north of I-70. I'm assuming Downtown St. Charles is probably located north of I-70...because along and south of I-70 St. Charles seems to me at least like a booming suburbian area that continues to develop. 10 years ago you never would have recognized it. I actually also felt the need to mention that the very first section of interstate highway in the whole United States was built in St. Charles near First Capitol Drive. You see a sign along I-70 that reads "The interstate is 50..first interstate started here in (some date), 1956." The stretch of I-70 in St. Charles is the first ever built I believe or at the least the first to begin construction.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Such an ironic name for a 21st century suburb! The name conjurs up a country crossroads with nothing but a dilapidated gas station with a couple old geezers sitting out front, whittlin'.
Well, as a former resident of Northern VA, I know that many of the names of places in VA were just that...small crossroads...but that was WAY before gas stations. They were crossroads circa Civil War and prior.

Tysons is very nice actually but, sadly, they built it up too fast before they had adequate public transportation. No one walks there and everyone drives which makes the roads a mess. I think they are extending the Metro out there right now but when I used to live in Arlington I hated going to Tysons because of the traffic.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You as a Clevelander should know that assuming that is indeed where you are from
Nope, Detroit area. Manmade hills and manmade "snow." Only Dr Evil would call icy ball bearings "snow" though. The best skiing in Michigan is in NW lower Michigan and the western Upper Peninsula. Petoskey and Marquette might not have tall buildings, but I wouldn't mind living on top of a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan or Lake Superior.

Note to self: get rich, buy downtown condo, buy vacation home near lakeshore. Done.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Nope, Detroit area. Manmade hills and manmade "snow." Only Dr Evil would call icy ball bearings "snow" though. The best skiing in Michigan is in NW lower Michigan and the western Upper Peninsula. Petoskey and Marquette might not have tall buildings, but I wouldn't mind living on top of a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan or Lake Superior.

Note to self: get rich, buy downtown condo, buy vacation home near lakeshore. Done.
I've never been to Michigan, only to the Detroit airport, which obviously doesn't count, and it was as a little kid so I remember nothing about it. Thanks for the info on Michigan...I'll definitely try and make it up there to ski at some point. That's the only Midwestern state I've never been to. Been to all the other ones many times, including the one i live in, obviously I'm there now how is Detroit? I've heard it's like a much bigger version of Cleveland.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post

Lol, so you're from Detroit...that explains your hostility towards Cleveland...hehehe....just like St. Louisans and Milwaukeeans and most of Illinois south of I-80 that expresses hostility towards Chicago Why is the Midwest full of so much hostility

Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Quote:
"The cities of Jersey City and Newark have decent skylines but I'm not sure if they're considered by many people to be suburbs since they seem to be vibrant and sustainable cities in their own rights, albeit ones within a few miles of New York"

That's right, Jersey City and Newark are no more suburbs of NYC than Minneapolis is a suburb of St. Paul.
Ohh, I thought that New York suburbs included all of coastal New Jersey and even the eastern so-called suburbs of Philly. They can't be vibrant anything, because they're part of the New York collective. It's useless to resist, you must assimilate,.. Lammius?

Old 07-14-2007, 01:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Default Bellevue Washington

Right across Lake Washington from Seattle.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:47 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Washington Dc and it's surburbs have a lot of high rises. Arlington and Alexandria on the VA side espeically. I live in one in Alexandria and i see at least 10 high-rises out my 10th floor window.

This is b/c DC has height limitations on its proper city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.