U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:09 AM

126 posts, read 271,995 times

Advertisements

I am a Southerner and I try to get along with people who are different from me. I am from Alabama and currently live in Virginia. I would like to move back to Alabama soon, even though I have enjoyed my time in Virginia. It has been nice meeting new people and experiencing different cultures. But I am getting ready to settle down, and I would like to go back home to find a husband instead of up here in Virginia.

Having said that, I have been spending a lot of time on this website. As I said before, I try hard to like people, even if they are different from me. However, after reading most of the comments on this website, and after interacting with many Northern transplants who live in Virginia and North Carolina, it is really hard for me to like Northerners.

It seems like most of you choose, for whatever reason, to move South, and then once you are down here, all you do is bash the South and complain about how we are different. I find this very hateful.

The world is full of many diverse and beautiful cultures, and the South happens to be one of those cultures. Yet, many Northerners act as if it is their mission to wipe Southern culture off the face of the planet by moving down here in droves and colonizing us. This is not likely to ever happen, so don't get your hopes up (the South is here to stay); but having said that, I still find most of the attitudes very hateful.

While living in Virginia, I have run into many Northern transplants who either live here or North Carolina. All they do is talk about how backwards the South is. I ask them when they plan on going back to New York then. Their answer is always "never".

These sorts of exchanges make me very angry. It is hateful for you to choose to move to another area that has a different culture, and expect the locals of the area to conform to YOUR standards.

I would really like to try to have a more positive attitude of Northerners, but it is becoming more and more difficult for me. I look forward to the day when I am back in Alabama (in the next couple of months). I hope and pray that most of you don't follow me down there and destroy that state the same way you have destroyed North Carolina.

I would like to ask the Northerners on here a few questions:

1) If you live in the South and don't like it, then when do you plan on leaving? I want an exact date specified; not this mumbo jumbo I have been reading on most of this website along the lines of "I hate it down here and I miss the North, but I don't know when I can leave".

2) What percentage of Northerners plan on moving down here?

Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,956,143 times
This is the United States of America-. Northerners don't consider themselves "Northern"- No one says that around here anyway, and no one considers them a Yankee either (and it's stupid to be called one)- Salaries and earnings are a big reason why many North Easterners have a wide range of options in terms of moving (among other reasons)- So you'll get mixed feelings whether they actually like where they chose to live (since the decision is solely based off the low COL)

I wouldn't play the victim acting like the northerns are "wiping southern culture off the face of the planet"
My city (Newark) is over 50% black.... How do you think that happened? They wiped the original Italian/Jewish culture that once dominated the city.
~

If there's people complaining about the south (who moved from up north) then they moved there because it's more affordable (or weather related reasons). The more a place grows the higher the COL goes, the North East had its time- Your turn

Last edited by BPerone201; 11-05-2010 at 01:37 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 01:30 AM

126 posts, read 271,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
This is the United States of America- And northerners don't consider themselves "Northern"- No one says that around here anyway, and no one considers them a Yankee either- People aren't as loyal to where they live, and seemed to be more open minded and honest about the situation.
I wouldn't play the victim acting like the northerns are "wiping southern Culture off the face of the planet"

My city (Newark) is over 50% black.... How do you think that happened? They wiped the Italian/Jewish culture out of that city.
~

If there's people complaining about the south (who moved from up north) then they moved there because it's more affordable. The more a place grows the higher the COL goes, the North East had its time- Your turn
You miss my point. There are Northerners all over the South who constantly complain about the South. The idea of Southerners moving North and complaining seems nonexistant to me.

And your part about the blacks taking over Newark is a nice touch. I thought Northerners didn't care about race, and that it was your mission to lecture the South on the topic.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,956,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
You miss my point. There are Northerners all over the South who constantly complain about the South. The idea of Southerners moving North and complaining seems nonexistant to me.

And your part about the blacks taking over Newark is a nice touch. I thought Northerners didn't care about race, and that it was your mission to lecture the South on the topic.

Newark is over 50% Black because of Southern to Northern migration- You seemed to miss the point, not me. (the once North Eastern cultured city vastly turned culturally southern in a blink of an eye)-- There's still some southern qualities in Newark today (believe it or not)- Even in NYC (Harlem), Philadelphia, and Baltimore.

Since you seem to generalize, why do I see southerners complaining about us "Yankees" and how we're destroying your precious culture?- But then, at a different moment boost the southern region when it comes to population growth, job growth, and the quality of education improving?

All as if southern to northern migration never impacted the north east in the past.
We work together as a country, get over it.
~

There is no "Northern" culture. The bulk of the North East is the Bos-Wash corridor. DC/Bmore was once culturally southern but leans north eastern nowadays (and still has its many southern qualities), Philadelphia had a huge south to north migration during WWII, Much of NJ/CT industrial cities were replaced by southern blacks during WWII, The NYC Metropolitan area is an international area where people around the globe have migrated to, and Boston is the education capital of the nation and attracts people from everywhere (and it had a decent southern migration boom during WWII as well)- So, who's complaining that "We were robbed of out northern culture"? Most of the complainers are long dead now...

Much of New England is untouched just like much of the deep south is untouched. (by outsiders)

Last edited by BPerone201; 11-05-2010 at 02:30 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 AM

175 posts, read 222,971 times
Quote:
This is not likely to ever happen,
Just look at Maryland, its southern of the mason-Dixon line and most of the state whether native or transplant won't call themselves southerners..
I think Maryland has broken the record for having the most northern transplants.

Northern Virginia is the same way, but it'll always be southern just because of its name...

Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
This is the United States of America-. Northerners don't consider themselves "Northern"- No one says that around here anyway, and no one considers them a Yankee either (and it's stupid to be called one)- Salaries and earnings are a big reason why many North Easterners have a wide range of options in terms of moving (among other reasons)- So you'll get mixed feelings whether they actually like where they chose to live (since the decision is solely based off the low COL)

I wouldn't play the victim acting like the northerns are "wiping southern culture off the face of the planet"
My city (Newark) is over 50% black.... How do you think that happened? They wiped the original Italian/Jewish culture that once dominated the city.
I imagine those Italian/Jewish people back then were probably not too happy about that either. Change can be difficult and people have their prejudices.

Still it seems like ideally the immigrants and the natives should adapt to each other more than one totally overwhelming the other. If blacks in Newark would never eat Italian food or refuse to ever watch Jewish comedies or whatever I guess that's kind of sad in a way. If the Italians or Jews all left, or refuse to listen to even R&B because "it's too black", that's also pretty unfortunate. (I'm going to trust/assume it's not that extreme) Ideally Northerners moving South would learn to appreciate some things of that region and Southerners would learn to appreciate what new things they bring to the table. I would guess that does happen at least some of the time.

Nevertheless I imagine "ideally" is not how things work in many cases. It's apparently common for the newcomers to have some homesickness, maybe even want to recreate home, and the natives having simmering resentment at even minor change from "foreigners." (And what I remember of Northwest Arkansas there are places in this country where people from the Northeast or Midwest would be deemed "foreigners.") I know it's not exactly the same because Southerners and Northerners are all "Americans" but patriotic efforts aside the US is a nation that's not precisely a nationality in the European sense. Culturally Maine or Connecticut is, generally speaking, different than Alabama or Louisiana.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-05-2010 at 04:47 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,651,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bperone201 View Post
since you seem to generalize, why do i see southerners complaining about us "yankees" and how we're destroying your precious culture?- but then, at a different moment boost the southern region when it comes to population growth, job growth, and the quality of education improving?

All as if southern to northern migration never impacted the north east in the past.
We work together as a country, get over it.
~
amen.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:23 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,334,714 times
You dad-blamed yankees is trampin all over are crops and sech. Git on outta hear forin I hafte call up ole scooter from out yonder under the porch. Enteruptin me and the missus with a possum on the kettle too.

The regional bashing will never stop on forums such as these. I too sometimes pay special attention to the south bashing as a Georgian, but I see it go both ways. There does, however, seem to be an antiquated view of the south that highlights some of our less pleasant history. It will fade in time.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:32 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,308,406 times
Quote:

I would like to ask the Northerners on here a few questions:

1) If you live in the South and don't like it, then when do you plan on leaving? I want an exact date specified; not this mumbo jumbo I have been reading on most of this website along the lines of "I hate it down here and I miss the North, but I don't know when I can leave".

why do people move back up north after moving down south?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 AM

159 posts, read 237,866 times
Why can't we all jus git along together ???

I think everyone here is going off the deep end for no good reason. Both sides should be able to take some good natured kidding. After all we are all AMERICANS and we should be able to kid each other without discomfort. If it is a mean comment, then by all means step up to the plate and defend your region. Tell the hill billy to go back where he/she came from. I do and I am a Newark NJ transplant from 9 years ago. The people are just so much friendlier here. I just love it down here in Northern Virginia and can't wait to travel the southern states when I get back from this sandbox they call Afghanistan.

Now lighten up all of you !!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.