Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 PM

349 posts, read 985,640 times

Advertisements

2010 census: US getting older - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Women still outlive men, but the gender gap among U.S. seniors is narrowing.

Over the past decade, the number of men in the U.S. increased by 9.9 percent, faster than the 9.5 percent growth rate for women. As a result, women outnumbered men by just 5.18 million, compared with 2000, when there were 5.3 million more women than men.

"If current trends continue, men's life expectancy will approach that of women in the next few decades, creating more of a gender balance in the oldest age groups," said Mark Mather, an associate vice president of the Population Reference Bureau. "This has wide implications for family relationships in old age and caretaking, with more potential partners for older women."

New census numbers show:
  • The male-female ratio in the U.S. increased to 96.7 from 96.3 in 2000, reflecting the narrowing of the female advantage in overall population. (A score of 100 signifies equal numbers of men and women; a male-female ratio of 95, for example, would mean there are 95 men for every 100 women in the population.) There hasn't been such a sustained resurgence in the U.S. male population since 1910, when medical advances started to increase women's life expectancies by reducing deaths during pregnancy.
  • Broken down by subgroups, men were more numerous than women among those 34 and younger as more boys than girls tend to be born.
  • The median age rose to 37.2, up from 35.3 in 2000. Among the voting-age population, the 45-plus age group now makes up a majority at 51.9 percent, up from 42 percent in 1990.
Question, does anyone know why the male population has increased over the past decade?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,474,287 times
I'm wondering if immigration could play a role. A good deal of immigrants are women, but I think the majority could be male. Particularly seeing as their common in "male dominated" industries like construction. Although they talk about birth and I'm not sure why that would be. Possibly the infant mortality rate among males went down, I believe it's traditionally higher than for females, or perhaps cultural groups that practice sex-selective abortion have risen in the US.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,079,512 times
A kielbasa fest of epic proportions, do not like.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,271,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
2010 census: US getting older - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Question, does anyone know why the male population has increased over the past decade?
Part of the reason for women outliving men is that men traditionally were employed in high-risk jobs. Working in a railyard, mine, with heavy equipment, etc., resulted in a lot of accidents and early deaths.

Stress is a factor too. Now that women are working they are experiencing the negative effects resulting from the stress of dealing with some of the retard employers out there.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,602,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm wondering if immigration could play a role. A good deal of immigrants are women, but I think the majority could be male. Particularly seeing as their common in "male dominated" industries like construction. Although they talk about birth and I'm not sure why that would be. Possibly the infant mortality rate among males went down, I believe it's traditionally higher than for females, or perhaps cultural groups that practice sex-selective abortion have risen in the US.
from a purely premature birth standpoint, infant mortality is higher in baby boys than girls. premature baby boys are not as strong as their girl counterparts.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,743,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Part of the reason for women outliving men is that men traditionally were employed in high-risk jobs. Working in a railyard, mine, with heavy equipment, etc., resulted in a lot of accidents and early deaths.

Stress is a factor too. Now that women are working they are experiencing the negative effects resulting from the stress of dealing with some of the retard employers out there.
Yes, and also with the development of anti-stress medicines (and heart medicines in general) heart attacks due to stress are probably less frequent. So if this was a big reason men were dying earlier, that reason has been assuaged.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,865,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is exactly what I thought. Many immigrants, especially Mexicans leave their families behind for work in America and send money back to their country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.