U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:23 PM

199 posts, read 598,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
****Corrected title: Why is DC the only city that doesn't have mainstream gangs?*****

Okay I know this could probably go in the DC forum but this is a national subject too.

Okay, we have MS-13 in the suburbs and a little in certain neighborhoods. Bloods and crips are in a few neighborhoods in DC proper and the suburbs as well. But its not mainstream in this area. DC is mostly a street crew city, meaning you have crews that are from certain neighborhoods, blocks, or apartment complexes. A lot of these crews do beef and there are countless murders and jumpings because of it. Hell because of a certain beef in this city a certain crew is assigned to another high school and middle school all the way across the city just in order to separate them as much as possible, even though these two crews live only 3 blocks apart. Other than that you dont see too many mainstream gangs here like you see in other cities.
DC isn't alone in that. I know the San Francisco bay area(especially Oakland) has gangs based on neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,226,260 times
Quote:
****Corrected title: Why is DC the only city that doesn't have mainstream gangs?*****

Okay I know this could probably go in the DC forum but this is a national subject too.

Okay, we have MS-13 in the suburbs and a little in certain neighborhoods. Bloods and crips are in a few neighborhoods in DC proper and the suburbs as well. But its not mainstream in this area. DC is mostly a street crew city, meaning you have crews that are from certain neighborhoods, blocks, or apartment complexes. A lot of these crews do beef and there are countless murders and jumpings because of it. Hell because of a certain beef in this city a certain crew is assigned to another high school and middle school all the way across the city just in order to separate them as much as possible, even though these two crews live only 3 blocks apart. Other than that you dont see too many mainstream gangs here like you see in other cities.
Oh my god I feel so bad for you man. We need to spread the word fast about DC's gang problem. Gotta keep it hood, ya know.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,319,598 times
Quote:
Why do people always think DC is all about politics 100% of the time.
Growing up could give a damn about it, all I cared about i making it home without being jumped, robbed, or shot, which all have happened to me at one point. I actually wish I wasn't from D.C. sometimes because most people don't know what really goes on here and how bad it used to be. Say you from any other city and people will have their ears open, put D.C. all they think about is the capitol, monument, white house, etc. I honestly wish all of those buildings would just vanish, they destroy D.C. and keep Washington alive. I'll be glad when I finally move from this city though, no one seems to really give a damn about it and gentrification is further destroying its character. So whats left?

In other cities, the media portrays what went on in that city, every city but D.C.

I mean I'll just give small examples:

NYC= New Jack City
LA = Boyz in the hood
Chicago = Hardball
Miami = Scarfce
Atlanta = ATL
Baltimore = The Wire
SF Bay Area = Dangerous Minds

and all the other cities is just word of mouth.

But D.C., man we got it the worse.
So getting robbed, jumped and shot at is what "DC used to be?" And now that you think that it's been lost and you want it to go back to those times because it had "character?"

And then you wish the media would portray more of DC's violence and gangs?
What's wrong with you? If there's one thing we both agree on is that we can't wait for you to leave...Good riddance...

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
In the national eye, D.C. is something of a low-key city when it comes to most things other than politics. It's kind of good in that way. Some things should be kept secret. ;-)

Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,539,933 times
Gangs never really took hold of DC because the city is made up of loosely knit crews. Plus back in the day, the emergence of drugs and go-go music played a major role in DC's crew structures also contributing to some of the violence.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,630,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
the media is full of bs

and most "gang" movies are highly exaggerated
yep, pretty much. Every see that show "gangland" on history channel? A bunch of BS and exaggerations.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Anyone who has been to DC (The real DC) knows that place is infested with violence and ignorance. However, DC doesn't really have gangs. They got those block crews. Like every street has a crew.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Anyone who has been to DC (The real DC) knows that place is infested with violence and ignorance. However, DC doesn't really have gangs. They got those block crews. Like every street has a crew.
No that is not the real DC. There is two DC's. One is the version we see on TV with the shining monuments, tourists and politics. The other side is one large ghetto,run down hood. If people like Roth wanna keep killing themselves and glorifying gang culture and violence then go ahead. As long as they keep innocent bystanders out of their beef, then they will be doing everyone a favor by killing themselves off....

Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 PM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Why would Georgetown, DuPont Circle, upper NW and many other perfectly fine neighborhoods be considered any less "real" than the run-down ghetto areas?

That's like saying Manhattan isn't the real New York City.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,128,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
yep, pretty much. Every see that show "gangland" on history channel? A bunch of BS and exaggerations.
Not at all. The Chicago episodes are pretty accurate and I would say even dummed down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or