U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:44 PM

175 posts, read 223,170 times

Advertisements

****Corrected title: Why is DC the only city that doesn't have mainstream gangs?*****

Okay I know this could probably go in the DC forum but this is a national subject too.

Okay, we have MS-13 in the suburbs and a little in certain neighborhoods. Bloods and crips are in a few neighborhoods in DC proper and the suburbs as well. But its not mainstream in this area. DC is mostly a street crew city, meaning you have crews that are from certain neighborhoods, blocks, or apartment complexes. A lot of these crews do beef and there are countless murders and jumpings because of it. Hell because of a certain beef in this city a certain crew is assigned to another high school and middle school all the way across the city just in order to separate them as much as possible, even though these two crews live only 3 blocks apart. Other than that you dont see too many mainstream gangs here like you see in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 06:51 PM

442 posts, read 704,721 times
Lol, sounds like you have a noticeable amount based on what you said. What cities are you comparing too, LA or Chicago? The worst gangs I've heard about in ATL are Asian ones in the suburbs and MS-13. Waka Flaka Flame, who is a blood even shot his " hard in da paint" video in LA instead ATL and anyone who has seen it knows why in the first minute(red all over).

Last edited by sk8t; 11-06-2010 at 07:25 PM..

Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Lol, sounds like you have a noticeable amount bases on what you said. What cities are you comparing too, LA or Chicago? The worst gangs I've heard about in ATL are Asian ones in the suburbs and MS-13. Waka Flaka Flame, who is a blood even shot his " hard in da paint" video in LA instead ATL and anyone who has seen it knows why in the first minute(red all over).
NYC
LA
Chicago
ATL
Baltimore
Philly
Miami
and every other big city

Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,374,754 times
I don't know why , maybe other cities could look into that. Diversity? Education ? Cleaner Transit system with enforced rules might play into that.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:30 PM

442 posts, read 704,721 times
I would say "diversity" and "transportation" would only hurt the problem. Homogenous populations are less likely to have multiple gangs pop up. They may have one or two dominate but not multiple ones waring with each other since a lot of gangs are started by a racial or ethnic minority that wanted protection. Transportation would just make it easier to get around the city.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,128,007 times
The only two "real gangster" cities in terms of street gangs are Chicago and LA. Chicago metro has about 140,000 gang members in over 100 different street gangs. LA has 120,000 gang members in about 80 street gangs. Of the ten largest street gangs in the US, 5 call Chicago home and 5 call LA home.

After Chicago and LA is NYC metro with about 65,000, then Phoenix/Maricopa County around 35,000.

Chicago's gang population has exploded due to relocation from the city to suburbs. Same with LA. Suburban gang sets don't hold blocks or neighborhoods, but rather subdivisions or apartment complexes. This has allowed them to easily spread because the turf lines don't exist.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,192,563 times
Most cities have homegrown gangs. Even the Bloods of NYC aren't related to LA Bloods. Most Bloods and Crips around the country outside of Southern California aren't related to the original LA gangs. But a gang is a gang. Even where I'm from in San Francisco there are no Black Bloods or Crips although there are sets of Asian and Pacific Islander gangs that call themselves Bloods and Crips. During the 80's, Black Bloods and Crips from LA tried to establish themselves in San Francisco and Oakland ghettos but ended up getting killed or ran out of these cities. Gang warfare is just like any other warfare. The LA Bloods & Crips attempting to migrate to the Bay were like U.S. soldiers trying to take over an unfamiliar town in Vietnam and ended up getting slaughtered by the natives.

San Francisco Bay Guardian News

The gangs in SF are based on the neighborhoods very much like DC and other cities. For example, I was born in a hood called Lakeview which often feuded with the crews from the Sunnydale Projects from across town. It was purely territorial, no colors or bandannas really involved. However, this is just how Black gangs operate in San Francisco.

Certain Latino gangs have large presences in places where there are large populations of a specific Hispanic Nationality. Langley Park, Maryland, immediately north of DC, has the highest concentration of Salvadorans in the country, therefore it is the second national headquarters for MS-13 other than LA. Similarly, The Mission District in San Francisco is a stronghold for Nortenos which are mostly young Americanized first generation Mexicans residing in Northern California. To add more, Latin Kings are prominent in Chicago and the NYC metro area where there are large Puerto Rican populations.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 11-06-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,883,976 times
D. C. has two major gangs. One is called Democrat and the other is Republican. LOL

That is about all the trouble one city can handle at a time.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
D. C. has two major gangs. One is called Democrat and the other is Republican. LOL

That is about all the trouble one city can handle at a time.
Why do people always think DC is all about politics 100% of the time.
Growing up could give a damn about it, all I cared about i making it home without being jumped, robbed, or shot, which all have happened to me at one point. I actually wish I wasn't from D.C. sometimes because most people don't know what really goes on here and how bad it used to be. Say you from any other city and people will have their ears open, put D.C. all they think about is the capitol, monument, white house, etc. I honestly wish all of those buildings would just vanish, they destroy D.C. and keep Washington alive. I'll be glad when I finally move from this city though, no one seems to really give a damn about it and gentrification is further destroying its character. So whats left?

In other cities, the media portrays what went on in that city, every city but D.C.

I mean I'll just give small examples:

NYC= New Jack City
LA = Boyz in the hood
Chicago = Hardball
Miami = Scarfce
Atlanta = ATL
Baltimore = The Wire
SF Bay Area = Dangerous Minds

and all the other cities is just word of mouth.

But D.C., man we got it the worse.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,809,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
Why do people always think DC is all about politics 100% of the time.
Growing up could give a damn about it, all I cared about i making it home without being jumped, robbed, or shot, which all have happened to me at one point. I actually wish I wasn't from D.C. sometimes because most people don't know what really goes on here and how bad it used to be. Say you from any other city and people will have their ears open, put D.C. all they think about is the capitol, monument, white house, etc. I honestly wish all of those buildings would just vanish, they destroy D.C. and keep Washington alive. I'll be glad when I finally move from this city though, no one seems to really give a damn about it and gentrification is further destroying its character. So whats left?

In other cities, the media portrays what went on in that city, every city but D.C.

I mean I'll just give small examples:

NYC= New Jack City
LA = Boyz in the hood
Chicago = Hardball
Miami = Scarfce
Atlanta = ATL
Baltimore = The Wire
SF Bay Area = Dangerous Minds

and all the other cities is just word of mouth.

But D.C., man we got it the worse.
the media is full of bs

and most "gang" movies are highly exaggerated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or