Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 PM

129 posts, read 488,851 times

Advertisements

I really want to move, and about the only thing I'm sure of is I want a city that's not too big,in fact, as long as I'm within about an hour of atleast a few stores and restaurants, I'll be happy.( I'd like to be in a town that atleast has the necessities) But I also need to be within about thirty minutes of a University. I LOVE snow and really want all four seasons. And of course good schools for the kids and a job for hubby. Low crime and taxes I guess goes without saying. Is this place really out there? I have about two years before I need to move, so I have time to check some places out and make sure it's right for us.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 02:07 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,800,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
I really want to move, and about the only thing I'm sure of is I want a city that's not too big,in fact, as long as I'm within about an hour of atleast a few stores and restaurants, I'll be happy.( I'd like to be in a town that atleast has the necessities) But I also need to be within about thirty minutes of a University. I LOVE snow and really want all four seasons. And of course good schools for the kids and a job for hubby. Low crime and taxes I guess goes without saying. Is this place really out there? I have about two years before I need to move, so I have time to check some places out and make sure it's right for us.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!
Based on you criteria, Madison, Wisconsin is first place that came to mind. The New England area as well. Lots of places could fit your criteria.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Depending on the $$$ you have, Id suggest Wayne or Wasco, IL. Close to the burbs, yet very quiet and beautiful.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:16 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,458 times
Saratoga Springs, NY. Famous for its natural minerals springs, mineral baths, and horse racing. Saratoga is also where the movies "Sea Biscuit", "Horse Whisperer", "Billy Bathgate", "The Way We Were", and "My Old Man" were shot. It's within an hour of Albany, mountains, a geizer, nice downtown, shopping, restaurants.

Saratoga Springs and area...
Copyright Phillip M. Kancianic

Photos by jchrvrd of PBase...
Natural spring water fountain...

Another one...

Last edited by Futcha; 07-05-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 PM

286 posts, read 1,586,694 times
Default Eastern half of Ohio

Scenic, rural, slow paced life ... Reasonable commute to Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh areas. Lots of small college towns and universities. You don't have to go that far from civilization before it is open land, fresh air, and country way of living. And, all 4 seasons.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:27 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,572,574 times
Look into Iowa City.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 PM

150 posts, read 519,590 times
Billings ,Mt

Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Northeastern Pennsylvania. We're only two hours from either New York City or Philadelphia without all of the high crime, traffic congestion, exorbitant property taxes and housing prices, etc. You can live in some very tranquil rural areas and still be within 15 minutes of big-box stores, museums, nightlife, etc. in Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. We have four very distinct seasons, all of which are wonderful! There are well over a dozen universities in our area, as well as other cultural offerings. We're truly an area on the rebound as of late, and I'm proud I'll be an integral part of its future in the upcoming years!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 PM

102 posts, read 454,794 times
You should look into some places in Minnesota. I suppose Minneapolis or St. Paul would be too big. There are some nice suburbs surrounding the Twin Cities but the suburbs aren't for everyone. I would also look at St. Cloud and Duluth. They both have universities and seem to be very nice places. I would also agree with the person who brought up Madison, Wisconsin as well.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,159 times
Iowa City, Ann Arbor, Northfield, Minn., Madison, Columbia, Mo., Duluth, Lawrence, Kan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.