U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,289,323 times
Reputation: 1196

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Can you point out specific differences between a NYC accent and a Jersey accent? Also, specific differences between say Brooklyn and Queens? This Australian can identify a New York accent but that's about it.
A NYC accent is the same as the accent you'll hear in the parts of NJ that are very, very close to NYC.

But since most of NJ is the suburbs (of NYC), accents are greatly watered down and most NJ people speak with a general Northeastern cadence. The only suburban region of NYC that really has a noticeable NY accent is Long Island NY, and specifically the south shore of Nassau County.

In Southern New Jersey, people speak VERY differently, and that accent will range from nearly identical to a Philadelphia accent, to an accent that is almost identical to that of North Carolina or Virginia.

As far as accents in Brooklyn, Queens, etc...there may be some very, very minor differences, but it'd be almost impossible to decipher if you are not from the area. I'm from here and really cannot tell much of a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,921,131 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I personally don't think I sound like I'm from Georgia, so I can't say which area people though I sound like I'm from. That's why I put the (?) - because I don't "hear" it. Where's that accent thread?

I was in Memphis a few weeks ago and a guy we were speaking to was flabbergasted I grew up right outside of NYC - he said I sounded nothing like you'd expect from NJ.
Well, we on City-Data will be the judge of that (like everything else on here, take with a grain of salt). Here you are: Official Post Your Accent Thread.

Me personally, you'd probably sound something like a New Orleanian or something (I assume that you drop your R's). I actually went to school with a person from "Central New Jerz" as he put it, sounded Mid-Western to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,289,323 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Well, we on City-Data will be the judge of that (like everything else on here, take with a grain of salt). Here you are: Official Post Your Accent Thread.

Me personally, you'd probably sound something like a New Orleanian or something (I assume that you drop your R's). I actually went to school with a person from "Central New Jerz" as he put it, sounded Mid-Western to me.
I'd say most people from NJ speak like the people from Ohio. Again, aside from the urban portions of NJ that are VERY close to NYC (within 10 mil radius).

One thing is for sure, dropping R's in New Jersey is VERY rare. The vast majority of NJ residents pronounce their R's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,921,131 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I'd say most people from NJ speak like the people from Ohio. Again, aside from the urban portions of NJ that are VERY close to NYC (within 10 mil radius).

One thing is for sure, dropping R's in New Jersey is VERY rare. The vast majority of NJ residents pronounce their R's.
Yeah, I guess I need to shake off that perception. Most of the people that I know who are from NJ are originally from the parts close to NYC. Some of them out NYC some NYer when it comes to the accent thing. Thanks for the facts though.

I noticed that on that video I posted, it had Robert Andrews of NJ. Is that the type of accent that you're getting at (the prevalent accent)?

Last edited by David Alleyne; 11-09-2010 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: just because
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,289,323 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Yeah, I guess I need to shake off that perception. Most of the people that I know who are from NJ are originally from the parts close to NYC. Some of them out NYC some NYer when it comes to the accent thing. Thanks for the facts though.

I noticed that on that video I posted, it had Robert Andrews of NJ. Is that the type of accent that you're getting at (the prevalent accent)?
Yep, re: Robert Andrews - that is what your average white person in NJ sounds like, in Central and Northern NJ.

As you get into South Jersey, the accent becomes more Pennsylvania/Maryland/Virginia-sounding. For example, somebody from South Jersey would say that they are from "Sailth Jursey".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 31,753,990 times
Reputation: 5220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Well, we on City-Data will be the judge of that (like everything else on here, take with a grain of salt). Here you are: Official Post Your Accent Thread.

Me personally, you'd probably sound something like a New Orleanian or something (I assume that you drop your R's). I actually went to school with a person from "Central New Jerz" as he put it, sounded Mid-Western to me.
I don't drop my R's. Growing up, I had a very heavy NJ/NYC accent (I posted a voice clip of me at age 14 here on CD, it was *very* painful to listen to, LOL), but over the years, between college, and work and travel, I somehow (thank God) lost it.

When I have time, I'll post something over in that thread, thanks! Like Tommy, after a few drinks, some accented words will spill out, but it's pretty rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: NE PA
7,936 posts, read 13,858,365 times
Reputation: 4382
Northeast Pennsylvania....hayna er no?
Scranton Dictionary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,163,852 times
Reputation: 970
Based on the great accent thread we had here earlier, I have a General American Accent with a hint of Texan here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 PM
 
Location: MN
3,798 posts, read 8,165,159 times
Reputation: 1809
MinnesOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOtaaaaaaaaaAAAAHHHHH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Reputation: 5632
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yep, re: Robert Andrews - that is what your average white person in NJ sounds like, in Central and Northern NJ.

As you get into South Jersey, the accent becomes more Pennsylvania/Maryland/Virginia-sounding. For example, somebody from South Jersey would say that they are from "Sailth Jursey".
Rob Andrews is from Camden County, and has the accent to back it up.

"Sailth Jursey" is spot-on. They have an accent entirely different from how they talk up "Noorth"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top