U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,597,539 times

Advertisements

I have the NYC-New Jersey Accent. But. since I moved to North Carolina, it's been deteriorating at a very fast rate.

In 2008-09, when I first moved here, no one understood a word I said, I talked fast, annoying, and sounded like the Godfather.

In 2009-10, I still had a strong accent, but It started to lose it's accentness. I also started to say traditionally southern speak, like "y'all" (Imagine how bad that plus my NYC Accent sounds together! : "I'm gonna take a wawk down the street in Bawston, any of y'all wanna join?")

Now, since the summer, my accent is still there, but only when I get really mad, or start yelling. And when I say Bawston or Dawg (this might be because of me traveling down the Carolinas all summer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I have the NYC-New Jersey Accent. But. since I moved to North Carolina, it's been deteriorating at a very fast rate.

In 2008-09, when I first moved here, no one understood a word I said, I talked fast, annoying, and sounded like the Godfather.

In 2009-10, I still had a strong accent, but It started to lose it's accentness. I also started to say traditionally southern speak, like "y'all" (Imagine how bad that plus my NYC Accent sounds together! : "I'm gonna take a wawk down the street in Bawston, any of y'all wanna join?")

Now, since the summer, my accent is still there, but only when I get really mad, or start yelling. And when I say Bawston or Dawg (this might be because of me traveling down the Carolinas all summer)

What's my accent? Southern. Texas variety!

Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,135,109 times
New Orleanian...

Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,098,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post

That's pretty similar to how I talk, my NY/NJ accent is a bit on the mild side though. Not so much "aw" but a more toned down "au". I don't tauk fast either. And I say y'all all the time.

Not your stereotypical New Yawk accent, half of the time it flies below the radar, I've even been asked where I'm from from NYers and I'm a NYer myself lol.

Last edited by Infamous92; 11-07-2010 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,520,311 times
Nprtheastern/Boston accent

Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,713,668 times
I have a pretty clear standard accent.

Midwestern or California-ish.

I do say "ya'll" and "Fix'in" though, those are my Texanisms. My ear is used to the Texan accent though so I don't think twice if I hear it.
I have some friends who are from the Northeast. One from Connecticut can't take me seriously when I say those. One from Boston says that he knows a good handful of Bostonians who say "ya'll"... which I have observed (through travel across the nation) to be not-so-southern (i.e. I hear "ya'll" all over the nation: Michigan, California, Florida, and the Northeast). I find the slang from here and the northeast to be quite similar actually. More similar than that of California, which has "hella" different slang.
No one ever stares at me funny wherever I go. Granted I was born and raised here in the City.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,336,918 times
Northwest Georgia Mountain. Very rhotic.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 AM

35 posts, read 116,674 times
Appalachian.......yup

Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 AM

25 posts, read 31,640 times
New York accent. Everytime I go out of the state, people could tell I'm from NYC just by the way I talk lol.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:34 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,922,956 times
I would say that I have a middle of the road Southern accent, ATL version (whatever that is). It's not too overpowering though. Some people, who aren't from the region, know that I could be from the South but they don't know exactly where. Some within the region aren't sure though. I'm a rhotic speaker too, not really twangy, and I'm sort of light with the drawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or