U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times

Advertisements

Coordinate Geographic Twin (relative locations to one another)

Georgia/Florida
North Carolina/South Carolina
Tennessee/Kentucky
Alabama/Mississippi
Virginia/West Virginia
Louisiana/Arkansas
Texas/Oklahoma
Maryland/Delaware

Topographic Geographic Twin (layout of landscape)

Florida/Louisiana
Arkansas/Missouri
Mississippi (closest is Louisiana, but no true twin)
Georgia (closest is North Carolina, but no true twin)
Alabama (closest is Tennessee, but no true twin)
West Virginia (unique in its own right. Vermont is probably the closest, however).
North Carolina (no true twin, but Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia show similarities)
South Carolina (no true twin, but Alabama is probably the closest, and maybe Georgia, if only a much smaller scale for the mountains).
Kentucky (not a true twin, but Ohio is probably closest, followed by Tennessee).

Cultural Twins

Georgia/North Carolina
South Carolina/Alabama
Mississippi/Louisiana
Tennessee/Kentucky
Virginia (north)/Maryland
Virginia (south)/North Carolina
Florida (no twin)
Arkansas/Missouri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I perceive a lot of differences between AL and GA. I think the average Georgian feels more of an affinity with South Carolina, since they share regional similarities in the Piedmont and Low Country. NC, on the other hand, seems to have a lot in common with VA.
I agree with the Piedmont thing. The Piedmont stretch throughout Georgia and the Carolinas does wield a similar geographic and cultural vibe. The only area of Alabama that seems to fit this mold is the I-85 corridor, of which part of the Piedmont sits. The only area of northern Georgia that doesn't have the Piedmont vibe is far northwest Georgia, on locations that are ridge and valley. It has more of a vibe with east Tennessee and northeastern/north central Alabama.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM

13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

Georgia/Florida
Tennessee/Kentucky
Alabama/Mississippi
Virginia/West Virginia
Louisiana/Arkansas
Texas/Oklahoma
Maryland/Delaware

Florida/Louisiana
Arkansas/Missouri
West Virginia (unique in its own right. Vermont is probably the closest, however).
North Carolina (no true twin, but Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia show similarities)
South Carolina (no true twin, but Alabama is probably the closest, and maybe Georgia, if only a much smaller scale for the mountains).
Kentucky (not a true twin, but Ohio is probably closest, followed by Tennessee).

Cultural Twins

Georgia/North Carolina
South Carolina/Alabama
Mississippi/Louisiana
Tennessee/Kentucky
Florida (no twin)
Arkansas/Missouri

This is good.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 PM

13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Quote:
I agree with the Piedmont thing. The Piedmont stretch throughout Georgia and the Carolinas does wield a similar geographic and cultural vibe. The only area of Alabama that seems to fit this mold is the I-85 corridor, of which part of the Piedmont sits. The only area of northern Georgia that doesn't have the Piedmont vibe is far northwest Georgia, on locations that are ridge and valley. It has more of a vibe with east Tennessee and northeastern/north central Alabama.
True dis.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Anyone who knows the histories of North Carolina vs South Carolina, knows they are not even related, or at least very distantly so.

As distant as Virginia and South Carolina. Which is distant.
I'm confused. NC and SC have their differences for sure, but they also have several similarities. Same with SC and VA. I know people tend to look at the largest urban areas and do comparisons only or mostly on that basis, but it goes beyond that.

But anyway, I'd probably pair up NC/VA and SC/AL. And LovinDecatur has a point, SC and GA share similarities as well. I grew up with an affinity for Georgia and received Augusta TV stations where I lived.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Quote:

Georgia/Florida
Tennessee/Kentucky
Alabama/Mississippi
Virginia/West Virginia
Louisiana/Arkansas
Texas/Oklahoma
Maryland/Delaware

Florida/Louisiana
Arkansas/Missouri

Cultural Twins

Georgia/North Carolina
South Carolina/Alabama
Mississippi/Louisiana
Tennessee/Kentucky
Florida (no twin)
Arkansas/Missouri
I do like this breakdown and agree for the most part, but I'm not sure I'd say that NC and GA are cultural "twins" even though I can see the basis for such a pairing. I base this assessment mainly on state politics, as NC is noticeably more moderate than GA here. NC's urban areas, particularly Charlotte and the Triangle, seem to affect the political landscape statewide more than in GA, where Atlanta seems to do little to influence the state's political tilt. With that in mind, I'd probably pair NC/VA (as you did, except I'd include the entire states) and GA/SC as cultural twins. That includes other factors than political leanings, but I thought that was important to mention.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Funny thing that because of the 'Toledo War' (fought by words in Congress), Michigan got the U.P. as a consolation prize.

And the Yoopers have never been happy about this:

First, there is the remote physical proximity of the 'trolls' (LPers who live 'Under the bridge.') vs Wisconsin (the capital of the U.P. is Green Bay).

Secondly, there is the cultural thing: A guy who has to drive 20 miles to buy a case of beer just can't relate to someone living in the congestion of the Detroit metro. It's much worse than even Wisconsin/Milwaukee or Minnesota/Twin Cities.

Which is why you'll see 70's-vintage autos ( a high percentage of which are still on the road today) in the U.P. with bumper stickers proclaiming:

'Superior, the 51st state'

And guess what Superior is?

I lived in the UP for years so I know all about the 51rst state thing. By the way you talk I am going to guess you live in the western UP. I lived in the Soo, and that part of the UP ALWAYS belonged to Michigan. THe eastern third of the UP was part of Michigan territitory long before the statehood issue came to a head. You are correct though that the western UP was given to Michigan in order to compensate the new state for the loss of Toledo. The real looser of the Toledo dispute was Wisconsin, who would have gotten the territory. The Michigan/Wisconsin border would be out west of Newberry somewhere if it was not for the Toledo dispute. There is a historical marker out on US 2 that marks the place where the old border was. I am not sure that all the people in the western UP would have liked being part of Wisconsin any more than being part of Michigan. When I lived up there it was just as common to hear complaints about the Cheeseheads as it was the trolls. They are kind of seen as the same breed of cat. I loved living in that part of the state, (only living where I do now because of my wife) and I can see the draw of seperating from Michigan, however Im not sure the economic base is there to do it. I dont see the UP seperating any time in the forseeable future.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
I think Pennsylvania has more in common with New York than it does with Ohio. Eastern Pennsylvania is like downstate New York, and western Pennsylvania is like upstate New York. The only thing Pennsylvania really has in common with Ohio is a history of heavy industry, but even then, the types of industries Pennsylvania had were more similar to New York than Ohio. Pennsylvania and New York were never big players in the automotive industry like Ohio was (and still is), and both states lost their industries much sooner, much faster, and much more completely than Ohio did. These days, Ohio has more in common with Michigan and Indiana than it does with Pennsylvania.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 AM

821 posts, read 1,253,531 times
Pennsylvania certainly does orient more toward the east than the west.

Even those eastern counties in Ohio bordering on Wheeling and Weirton (West VA) have closer ties to the east (Pittsburgh). I have relatives in eastern Ohio in communities along the Ohio River and those little towns remind me of small PA and WV towns.

Although the distance between Pittsburgh and Cleveland isn't great (150 or so miles), Cleveland and Ohio (except the eastern regions bordering on WV & PA) in general feels different from Pennsylvania.

Last edited by tallydude02; 11-10-2010 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 AM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
As an NC native, I completely agree. I knew when I saw the OP's intro that this would be on the list:

"The Carolinas, obviously"

It's not as obvious as one might think.
I agree; I perceive the two Carolinas as having very different vibes.
For a state its' size, NC has a remarkable level of regional variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or