U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 AM

2,650 posts, read 5,167,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
What else would Jersey be similar to? NY? touching the midwest, great lakes, Adirondacks, Canada? Don't think so.
The obvious answer would be Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 07:44 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,025,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm confused. NC and SC have their differences for sure, but they also have several similarities. Same with SC and VA. I know people tend to look at the largest urban areas and do comparisons only or mostly on that basis, but it goes beyond that.

But anyway, I'd probably pair up NC/VA and SC/AL. And LovinDecatur has a point, SC and GA share similarities as well. I grew up with an affinity for Georgia and received Augusta TV stations where I lived.
South Carolina has a far different history than N.C. does.

Although both (per Koppen Scale) are classified as Humid Subtropical in climate (so is S. Jersey by that model), there is a major difference in flora associated with the isotherm which corresponds to the maximum average of 48F for the coldest month.
That line runs through the eastern 2/3 of S.C., but barely touches the coast in extreme SE N.C.

The Piedmonts of both states are similiar, but there is so much more of N.C. which is Piedmont vs S.C.

N.C. also has a good deal of mtn land- S.C. has but a single ridge (Chatooga).

N.C. is also more advanced than is S.C., as far as education and social conditions- though that ain't sayin' much.

If I had to choose a 'Twin' for S.C., it'd be Georgia.

Minus the ATL, of course.

Although New Providence Island in the Bahamas is THE twin of S.C.'s Lowcountry.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,025,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I lived in the UP for years so I know all about the 51rst state thing. By the way you talk I am going to guess you live in the western UP. I lived in the Soo, and that part of the UP ALWAYS belonged to Michigan. THe eastern third of the UP was part of Michigan territitory long before the statehood issue came to a head. You are correct though that the western UP was given to Michigan in order to compensate the new state for the loss of Toledo. The real looser of the Toledo dispute was Wisconsin, who would have gotten the territory. The Michigan/Wisconsin border would be out west of Newberry somewhere if it was not for the Toledo dispute. There is a historical marker out on US 2 that marks the place where the old border was. I am not sure that all the people in the western UP would have liked being part of Wisconsin any more than being part of Michigan. When I lived up there it was just as common to hear complaints about the Cheeseheads as it was the trolls. They are kind of seen as the same breed of cat. I loved living in that part of the state, (only living where I do now because of my wife) and I can see the draw of seperating from Michigan, however Im not sure the economic base is there to do it. I dont see the UP seperating any time in the forseeable future.
I'm on the Wisconsin side of the line, a line that (around here) was not firmly established until the 1920's. And yes, we're adjacent to the Central, or Western U.P.

There is a story about an old Finnish farmer in this county who was told back then that his land had been resurveyed and he now was in Wisconsin.

'Thank God!', he shouted, 'No more brutal Michigan winters.'

I don't think the U.P is going anywhere, with the mine at White Pine long silenced, K.I. Sawyer mothballed, and low incomes going even lower.

There is talk of a major mining op near Marquette (same Zinc seam as was wanted to be exploited by Exon in Wisconsin, before the people and the Tribe shut 'em down, thankfully.). But that is a cultural diference between the U.P. and Wisconsin:

U.P. is mining country, a legacy of the copper days. Wisconsin, not so much.

It even shows in state laws regarding mineral rights.

For me, the highest and best use for the U.P. would be to make it a national park, but that ain't happening either.

Been to the Soo a number of times, both by land and water.

Nice place.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
South Carolina has a far different history than N.C. does.
I'm certainly aware of that.

Quote:
Although both (per Koppen Scale) are classified as Humid Subtropical in climate (so is S. Jersey by that model), there is a major difference in flora associated with the isotherm which corresponds to the maximum average of 48F for the coldest month.
That line runs through the eastern 2/3 of S.C., but barely touches the coast in extreme SE N.C.
Wasn't really thinking that in depth in terms of flora and fauna, but ok.

Quote:
The Piedmonts of both states are similiar, but there is so much more of N.C. which is Piedmont vs S.C.
This is true. But eastern NC is kind of like the SC Lowcountry, particularly when it comes to demographics. The Pee Dee and the Sandhills region of NC are quite similar. As I've said on another thread discussing the same subject ("twin" states), Fayetteville is basically Florence with a large military installation.

Quote:
N.C. also has a good deal of mtn land- S.C. has but a single ridge (Chatooga).
That would definitely be the biggest geographical difference.

Quote:
N.C. is also more advanced than is S.C., as far as education and social conditions- though that ain't sayin' much.
I think it's definitely a noticeable difference, but of course, this essentially boils down to two areas in NC (Charlotte and the Triangle). They are large and influential enough to tilt the entire state, whereas SC's three largest metros are not.

Quote:
If I had to choose a 'Twin' for S.C., it'd be Georgia.

Minus the ATL, of course.
I'm more prone to make Alabama SC's "twin," but Georgia does come close also--sans Atlanta, as you stated.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,004,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
The obvious answer would be Connecticut.
New Jersey... New England... makes sense I guess... not.

New Jersey actually has way more in common with Maryland than any other state. Too much in common actually. My guess is that you're from North Jersey.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,473,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
New Jersey... New England... makes sense I guess... not.

New Jersey actually has way more in common with Maryland than any other state. Too much in common actually. My guess is that you're from North Jersey.
Yeah how is NJ like CT? One is the Sopranos and rustic pine barrens, the other is Ivy league and old money.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,180,630 times
Minnesota is more Scandanavian in culture, Wisconsin is more German
Minnesota is more flat, Wisconsin is hillier
Minnesota have the awesome Vikings and the Sconni's have the Packers

I agree with the Minnesota-Wisconsin

Many similarities, cultural similarities, geographic, etc.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 PM

2,188 posts, read 4,206,123 times
These twins work better for me, though they don't work out logically (there's always a Wyoming or Minnesota or Missouri to throw things off!):

California/Nevada
Arizona/New Mexico
Texas/Oklahoma
Missouri/Iowa or Minnesota/Iowa
Illinois/Indiana
Wisconsin/Michigan or Wisconsin/Minnesota
Maryland/Delaware
Ohio/Pennsylvania
Alabama/Mississippi
Florida/Georgia
New York/New Jersey

DC and Puerto Rico stay out of the game....

New England is tricky, but CT and RI should be together, and VT and NH should be together, so Massachusetts and Maine have to be "long distance twins." Sort of.

Ideally, Oklahoma would pair with Texas, Louisiana with Arkansas

Old 11-10-2010, 11:03 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,991,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
These twins work better for me, though they don't work out logically (there's always a Wyoming or Minnesota or Missouri to throw things off!):

California/Nevada
Arizona/New Mexico
Texas/Oklahoma
Missouri/Iowa or Minnesota/Iowa
Illinois/Indiana
Wisconsin/Michigan or Wisconsin/Minnesota
Maryland/Delaware
Ohio/Pennsylvania
Alabama/Mississippi
Florida/Georgia
New York/New Jersey

DC and Puerto Rico stay out of the game....

New England is tricky, but CT and RI should be together, and VT and NH should be together, so Massachusetts and Maine have to be "long distance twins." Sort of.

Ideally, Oklahoma would pair with Texas, Louisiana with Arkansas
Pennsylvania has more in common with New York than Ohio.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:29 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,750,500 times
First off, NY/PA is super accurate.

Secondly, the only people who think NY and NJ are twins are not thinking outside of NYC. Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or