U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,158,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah how is NJ like CT? One is the Sopranos and rustic pine barrens, the other is Ivy league and old money.
Wow....................... Stereotypes seem to dominate your thinking. Sad for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,355,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Feel free to disagree/agree...most of these are kinda obvious, but I thought it'd be fun to pair the states up with their geographical/cultural twin. Yes, maybe too much time on my hands, lol...

California/Arizona
Oregon/Washington
Utah/Colorado
Idaho/Montana
Wyoming/Nebraska
New Mexico/Texas
Oklahoma/Arkansas
Louisiana/Mississippi
Alabana/Georgia
Florida/Puerto Rico (I know the latter is not a state!)
The Carolinas, obviously
The Dakotas
Missouri/Illinois
Iowa/Nebraska
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Michigan/Ohio
Virginia/West Virginia
Tennessee/Kentucky
Pennsylvania/New York
Maryland/District of Columbia
New Jersey/Delaware
Connecticut/Rhode Island
Massachusetts/Rhode Island
New Hampshire/Vermont
Maine/Vermont
Hawaii/Alaska

Yes there are a few double-ups because of the odd numbers, but I think this is more or less accurate.
Ehh...not really. I've lived in Arizona (Phoenix) and all over California (both LA and around SF), and I can safely say that Arizona is only really like Southern California. There's not much in Arizona that's analogous to Northern California aside from the militant liberalism around Flagstaff (then again, its not as liberal as the Bay Area), nor is there an answer to the dense redwood tree cover (Ponderosa Trees are cool in their own right though, so don't get me wrong).

Nevada would be more of California's match, as other people have pointed out. There are two population centers (Reno and LV) with the larger one being in the south, and the capital city being in the north. However, I would venture to say that more than 65% of current Nevada residents moved there from California in the past 30 years, so its more like an extension of California than anything else. I mean, more often than not, tourbooks, guidebooks would have California and Nevada together than California and Arizona.

If there could be an absolute twin to California, just imagine combining the rest of the Western United States into one area. Northern California is more like OR and WA, Southern California is more like AZ/NM, the Sierra regions are more like the Rocky Regions of CO/UT. Then again, it would all be speaking in grave generalities (coincidentally, if the rest of the Western CONUS were one state, it would roughly equal the population of California DESPITE being many times the size).

Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,198,097 times
Florida and Puerto Rico? Hardly.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:43 PM

57 posts, read 55,860 times
I think the strongest ones are:
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Washington/Oregon
New Hampshire/Vermont

Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 PM

686 posts, read 1,515,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
First off, NY/PA is super accurate.

Secondly, the only people who think NY and NJ are twins are not thinking outside of NYC. Again.

well said.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:53 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
well said.
Thank you.

And poor NJ, everybody assumes it's all the north Jersey shore.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,453,015 times
I think it's natural for states that border one another to have common traits. That's why Missouri, for example, has been paired with Iowa, Illinois and Arkansas in this thread. Since there are 8 states that border MO, you could rightfully choose any of them.
But similar states don't necessarily need to be "Siamese" twins. More interesting are pairs of states that are located in different parts of the country. These have already been mentioned: WV-ME, AK-HI, LA-AK, SC-AL. (Not that I agree with them all.)

Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I think it's natural for states that border one another to have common traits. That's why Missouri, for example, has been paired with Iowa, Illinois and Arkansas in this thread. Since there are 8 states that border MO, you could rightfully choose any of them.
But similar states don't necessarily need to be "Siamese" twins. More interesting are pairs of states that are located in different parts of the country. These have already been mentioned: WV-ME, AK-HI, LA-AK, SC-AL. (Not that I agree with them all.)

Missouri is even harder to truly pair with another because of it's location. Its Southern, its Northern (Midwestern), its hills and its prairies.

Missouri is such a unique creature.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:31 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,320,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
LA-AK and SC-AL are in the same part of the country.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
LA-AK and SC-AL are in the same part of the country.
AK is Alaska.

... On that note. How are Alaska and Louisiana anything alike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or