U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,329,638 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
How so? Just curious not sayin I disagree. The only roblem I see with that is some VA folks who don't claim being Southern while NCians will claim New South at the very least.
VA and NC are laid out very similarly geographically in a west-east orientation with mountains in the west, Piedmont in the middle, and the coast in the east.

Both state capitals (Richmond, Raleigh) are similar in size, both city and MSA-wise (of course, Raleigh has a larger CSA). Columbia, while not tiny, is noticeably smaller.

Both have high-tech metros of 1 million+ centered around capital cities (NoVA, the Triangle). SC does not.

Both have cities highly reliant on the military (Norfolk, Fayetteville). The closest SC has is Columbia with Ft. Jackson but it's not reliant on it to the extent that Norfolk and Fayetteville are with their installations.

Both have three 1 million+ metro regions, with one primarily centered around one city (Richmond, Charlotte) and the other two being multinodal (Hampton Roads, NoVA; Triad, Triangle). SC only has one 1 million+ metro region.

Both have highly-ranked flagship universities in quintessential college towns. SC's flagship is not as highly ranked and isn't located in a typical college town.

In terms of college sports, both are influenced more by the ACC than SC is (which has its allegiance split with the SEC. NC nor VA have SEC schools). Both are also home to CIAA schools, while SC is home to none.

Both states are home to multiple F500 companies (VA: 20, NC: 14). SC is only home to three.

Both are politically moderate, having turned a solid shade of purple in the 2008 elections. SC is solid red.

Both are known as "New South" states and sometimes have their "Southernness" questioned due to the large influx of transplants. There's no question as to SC's Southernness whatsoever, LOL.

Both have fixed-rail mass transit systems (LYNX in Charlotte, METRO in NoVA and the TIDE in Hampton Roads). SC does not.

Both are known for tobacco historically as their staple crops. SC grows tobacco but is more known for cotton and rice.

For sure, SC has its commonalities with NC (and VA for that matter), but VA and NC are much closer to being "twins." All of these facts I just cited are just off the top of my head. I'm sure I could find more if I thought even harder about it, LOL.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 11-12-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
 
Location: South St Louis
3,794 posts, read 3,454,772 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
AK is Alaska.

... On that note. How are Alaska and Louisiana anything alike?
Oil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 07:42 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,329,638 times
Reputation: 2698
And oil spills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM
 
Location: South St Louis
3,794 posts, read 3,454,772 times
Reputation: 1957
In my opinion, Louisiana is one of the most unique states, and it really doesn't have a twin. Maybe a "sister state", but not a twin. And it wouldn't be Arkansas or Alaska. It would probably be Mississippi.

Other states that don't really have a twin include Alaska, Hawaii and California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,049,655 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
VA and NC are laid out very similarly geographically in a west-east orientation with mountains in the west, Piedmont in the middle, and the coast in the east.

Both state capitals (Richmond, Raleigh) are similar in size, both city and MSA-wise (of course, Raleigh has a larger CSA). Columbia, while not tiny, is noticeably smaller.

Both have high-tech metros of 1 million+ centered around capital cities (NoVA, the Triangle). SC does not.

Both have cities highly reliant on the military (Norfolk, Fayetteville). The closest SC has is Columbia with Ft. Jackson but it's not reliant on it to the extent that Norfolk and Fayetteville are with their installations.

Both have three 1 million+ metro regions, with one primarily centered around one city (Richmond, Charlotte) and the other two being multinodal (Hampton Roads, NoVA; Triad, Triangle). SC only has one 1 million+ metro region.

Both have highly-ranked flagship universities in quintessential college towns. SC's flagship is not as highly ranked and isn't located in a typical college town.

In terms of college sports, both are influenced more by the ACC than SC is (which has its allegiance split with the SEC. NC nor VA have SEC schools). Both are also home to CIAA schools, while SC is home to none.

Both states are home to multiple F500 companies (VA: 20, NC: 14). SC is only home to three.

Both are politically moderate, having turned a solid shade of purple in the 2008 elections. SC is solid red.

Both are known as "New South" states and sometimes have their "Southernness" questioned due to the large influx of transplants. There's no question as to SC's Southernness whatsoever, LOL.

Both have fixed-rail mass transit systems (LYNX in Charlotte, METRO in NoVA and the TIDE in Hampton Roads). SC does not.

Both are known for tobacco historically as their staple crops. SC grows tobacco but is more known for cotton and rice.

For sure, SC has its commonalities with NC (and VA for that matter), but VA and NC are much closer to being "twins." All of these facts I just cited are just off the top of my head. I'm sure I could find more if I thought even harder about it, LOL.
I see your point. And I must agree. One thing, SC has at least one school CIAA and that is SC State in Orangeburg,SC. Which has Claflin College right next door. Literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,734,481 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
In my opinion, Louisiana is one of the most unique states, and it really doesn't have a twin. Maybe a "sister state", but not a twin. And it wouldn't be Arkansas or Alaska. It would probably be Mississippi.

Other states that don't really have a twin include Alaska, Hawaii and California.
Agreed.

I'd say Missouri, Florida and Texas are also too unique for twins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 12:48 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,134,235 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
AK is Alaska.

... On that note. How are Alaska and Louisiana anything alike?
Oil, large coastline, isolated culture, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,734,481 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Oil, large coastline, isolated culture, etc.

I can dig it.

But... Mountains/swamp, Arctic/Sub-tropical, Canadian/Southern ;P, Moose poop/deadly snakes and of course the whole continental US thing.

I was quite surprised with the comparison as twins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,329,638 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I see your point. And I must agree. One thing, SC has at least one school CIAA and that is SC State in Orangeburg,SC. Which has Claflin College right next door. Literally.
State is in the MEAC conference of the NCAA, not CIAA. And yep, Claflin University is indeed right next to it; it's actually the first university I ever attended. You know I'm originally from Orangeburg County, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,075 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Reputation: 15246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
In my opinion, Louisiana is one of the most unique states, and it really doesn't have a twin. Maybe a "sister state", but not a twin. And it wouldn't be Arkansas or Alaska. It would probably be Mississippi.
Louisiana is hard to match in it's entirety because the northern and southern parts are so different. I do think northern LA has a similar feel to southern AR, and southern LA to extreme east TX (bayou region).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top