U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,704,081 times

Advertisements

I agree, I agree, I agree! Everything here is highways, drive-thrus, parking lots, car this, car that. There aren't even any sidewalks here. There's only one road with sidewalks for about 2 miles and the rest of this area is all highway and tall grass. And dangerous overpasses and underpasses. It's so unsafe for pedestrians here and people are encouraged to drive even if it's 5 feet down the road. And the bus only comes every 90 minutes. Basically, if you don't have a car, you're SOL! I think they need to give people the option to walk by placing sidewalks and pedestrian areas and allowing public transportation in all areas, not just big cities like NYC and Washington D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,704,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I feel I have as much individualism riding my bicycle to and from places as I did before my Bronco burned up in '06.

As far as the suburbs go, you just got to condition yourself to ride the distance, worked for me.

Only annoyance I have now are either inattentive drivers, or those PMS'ing about a bicycle taking up 2-3 feet of the far-right side of a three lane road!!
Or PMS'ing about pedestrians crossing the street! Yes, people have yelled at me before because I was trying to cross the street, on my light, blind cane in hand, and they still tried to yell at me and practically run me over.

When places are so car-oriented, drivers become really obnoxious towards pedestrians.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM

3,235 posts, read 5,152,178 times
I'm a huge advocate of walkable neighborhoods and am extremely anti-sprawl but some people get pretty pompous when it comes to those who choose to drive. I like to travel to the Adirondacks around 20 times per year for weekend trips. No public transportation to the middle of the woods. My job consists of me traveling around to different appointments every day. If I had to rely on public transportation, I would miss most meetings and get nothing done. I like the outdoors. If you like the outdoors and the trips associated with the outdoors, you can't rely on public transportation.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM

4,333 posts, read 6,593,380 times
To keep us a slave to the auto makers and oil companies.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 AM

4,815 posts, read 5,687,530 times
I hate Public transportation. It sucks, you have to rely on their times, weird stinky people talking to you, they break down from time to time and only go to limited areas. The areas they do go to, it takes 25-30 minutes to get there when in a car it would only take 5-10 minutes! Ridiculous!

I love to drive because I can go at my own convenience and I am not limited to only where the transportation goes. I can stop whereever I want with a car. Go as fast or slow as I can, listen to whatever station I want, roll down my windows. I much prefer driving.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:55 PM

3,310 posts, read 4,224,724 times
This has been a touchy issue for me lately. I know it's not the same thing, but our governor-elect is trying to give back $400 million that is intended to re-establish passenger rail service between Ohio's 3 biggest cities, connecting 6 million people.

One of the reasons our country has become so car-centric is because the goverment began to subsidize roads and highways. Trains and trolleys were run by private businesses, but couldn't compete, when government started building roads and highways.

Today, some people say mass-transit systems (like the 3C start up in Ohio) are a bad idea because "they lose money." But, they fail to reallize that roads and highways are also money losers.

Now, having said all that, I'm not suggesting that we ban all cars or anything like that. We've "painted ourselves into a corner" and some people don't have a choice but to drive. But, IMO, drivers should pay the real, full price of driving, either through increased fuel taxes, and/or privatized roads. If people had to pay the real cost of driving, they might reconsider other forms of transportation.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM

745 posts, read 990,383 times
I have crunched the numbers on the whole car sharing/renting situation...And the price to sign up for the monthly dues, and to use the vehicle 2 days a month, is more than the cost to buy a 3-4,000 beater car with minimal insurance, keep for yourself to use in emergencies and not have to worry about sharing. If you are a person who rarely needs a car then it doesn't need to be an expensive machine, and you might rebuttle with a reliability issue, but there are PLENTY of very reliable cars that are that affordable. This is beneficial for those with children that don't want to deal with the hassle of car sharing or renting to simply make a day trip to the mountains, or to go pick up a new washer/dryer/tv from an appliance store.

I'm so tired of hearing this topic!!! It is simply not feasible or even sensible to compare our lifestyles to that of say England, where the population per mile is much higher the whole country is more dense as is many european countries. We are large and spread out. On another note, you should be happy to know that China now uses more personal vehicles than the United states. So we are not the only ones driving out of control.

Yes there weren't many cars before WW2, but they were a novelty thing for the rich and the famous...Its like saying that right now not too many people have personal aircraft. Does that mean we should revert and make it so NOBODY has personal aircraft, in fear that the future may clog the skies with JETS!!!! LOL. the transportation advancements we have made have been out of convenience and comfort.

Our country is based off of freedom and that people should be able to do what it is that they would like to. Why would you or anyone else try to prohibit if they can drive a car or not??? This just baffles me, our freedoms are constantly being taken away beacuse someone yahoo thinks it may be a great idea, or it might save something.
I agree, our air quality, emissions, and planet are something that is not to joke about. But go ahead and look at some figures...tanker ships/oil ships and aircraft cause a TON more pollution that personal vehicles...Maybe you should call the government and tell them to ban importing goods from other countries and to become more self sufficient thus eliminating as many ships and aircraft transporting items to our country on a daily basis.

I believe that if people want to drive a car and they have the means to do so and can afford it...let them...If others want to ride a bike or walk...let them. If cities would like to build more public transit. I SAY DO IT!!! but not with the mentality that they want to burn every car in there city, but to create an alternative for people to take advantage of. Don't shove it down their throat and cause resistance in them...simply introduce it and SHOW them how great it can be.

And why can children not walk to school? Why can't i walk to the store??? Just choose where you want to live based off of things you need in your daily life. Find a place closer to work, closer to the store and closer to schools. I know locally for me, children that go to public school don't travel more than probably 2 miles at most. And many elementry school are incorporated into subdivisions.
I ride my bike to the store all the time.

Trust me i hear both sides of the story...people can save money without a car, people can go "green" since thats the latest and greatest trend, people can be more urban, you can still have individuality as a person without a car etc etc etc....but that isn't for everyone
Maybe i should start a topic titled "why do we allow fast food chains to exist" or "why do we allow our kids to watch tv" why do we allow americans to form their own opinions and vote" why can't we be like North Korea or Cuba?"

Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
This is not the solution. Too many people would have no way to get to their jobs without cars, as there is no rail or public transit infrastructure to support everyone getting to where they work. Everything has been spread out so much that a vehicle is necessary to get most places. Until this is fixed, and locations of employment are put into central areas accessible by public transit, the system is broken. Once the system is fixed, then we can worry about getting people to give up their cars. As it stands, most are absolutely dependent on cars to serve everyday transportation needs.
That lifestyle is subsidized, all I'm saying is cut the subsidy. We don't need to go cold turkey, I'm amenable to phasing it in, but it is economically deceptive to price it the way we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Definitely one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen on this forum. Clearly you are selfish to yourself and your provincial outlook on how the rest of the country should be
Talk about ignorance! You can start by learning to read. I don't care if people drive instead of walk/bike/train/bus. I just want them to pay the real cost. You are the ignorant one if you cannot recognize the subsidy to car-centric living. Get rid of the subsidy, and people will then make a choice based upon economic reality. Right now, the selfish stance is the one that artificially lowers the cost of car dependence. It's essentially a massive welfare program for people who live in the suburbs.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM

745 posts, read 990,383 times
and what exactly is paying the real cost, please explain how you put a price tag on this....

Before you know it your wish will come true, and people will have to pay extraordinary prices to ride public transit, and bicycle riders will have to register and insure their bike at the DMV.

i think that paying for monthly fuel, insurance, annual registration, maintenance, and cost of said vehicle is expensive as it is...owning a vehicle is one of the largest burdens/purchases that an individual makes

Old 11-10-2010, 03:21 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,738,760 times
I hate driving. You know that saying for when you are late somewhere "You should have left early." Well I decided to leave early once and still arrived late because of the amount traffic volume in the area.

With everything so spread out, you're in your vehicle longer and on NBC nightly news they stated that a lot of people are now driving when they are drowsy which is equivalent to drinking six beers and getting in the car to drive.

PT is needed after a long day of work where you can sit back and relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.