U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:18 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times

Advertisements

You're getting some good suggestions, but sooner or later it will boil down to where do you find a job. This thread will give you an idea where to send out resumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Asheville or Chapel Hill sound like good fits.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM

3,593 posts, read 5,840,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauranmc View Post
I'm also considering Chattanooga, TN and investigating SC and even Florida. Any suggestions/input would be deeply, deeply appreciated. Any at all. Please.
Greenville is all I gotta say. You'll love it and there is plenty to do yet you still feel like you're in a smaller metro. Close to Charlotte and close to Atlanta for major amenities. COL is cheaper than NC and a quick drive will have you in those mountains for sure. BTW, why would you hate Atlanta? Even with the "traffic" it's an amazing city!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
hows about the research triangle? ive been looking at Raleigh
I had a friend that years ago moved from Coral Gables (Miami) to Raleigh and has absolutely loved it. It is for her a slower pace but has still offered enough variety in the area of cultural activity. She lives in a condo conversion that was at one time a cotton mill; her neighbors are great and on some Friday nights everyone throws open their front doors to the hallway and indulges in a spontaneous cocktail party. Like she said, try finding a situation like that in Miami!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
I've lived in ATL my entire life -- I'm single, 38, never been married -- and I want to move to someplace that has a slower pace of life (is less hectic and has less traffic), but not so slow that it's dull and boring. It still needs to have moderately decent nightlife and restaurants/arts/culture, and at least a portion/percentage of the population who are non-conservative/open-minded/progressive artist-intellectuals, although I'm able to get along with just about anybody and truly enjoy connecting with different people from all walks of life. I'm a writer/editor(magazine/newspaper/ad agency) and former costume jewelry designer, savor solitude as well as socializing, and like nature, hiking, bluegrass and folk music. Is Charlotte the best choice if I relocate to NC? Or would Asheville be more my speed? I'm also considering Chattanooga, TN and investigating SC and even Florida. Any suggestions/input would be deeply, deeply appreciated. Any at all. Please.
I really think you should consider throwing Nashville into the mix as well.
In particular the neighborhoods of East Nashville, Music Row or 12 South.

East Nashville - Urban Nashville Neighborhoods - CityLiving - It's Your Move. (http://www.nashvillecityliving.com/cms/east-nashville.html - broken link)
12South - Urban Nashville Neighborhoods - CityLiving - It's Your Move. (http://www.nashvillecityliving.com/cms/12south-nashville.html - broken link)
Music Row - Urban Nashville Neighborhoods - CityLiving - It's Your Move. (http://www.nashvillecityliving.com/cms/music-row-nashville.html - broken link)

Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,744,006 times
If you are going with North Carolina then Charlotte is the definite choice. Raleigh is cool but it caters to the younger(college) crowd.Charlotte is the "grown-up" version of Raleigh.It is bigger than Raleigh with big city amenities but not as big as Atlanta yet. Asheville is extremely cool and liberal if you want to be in a metro of less than a million. For its size Asheville definitely packs a punch.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 AM

18 posts, read 84,284 times
I'm confused, what is "COL"? Also, which Greenville are you referring to, the one in NC or the one in SC? (I've reposted your post below for reference).Thank you!!!

p.s. To answer your question, I hate Atlanta because the job market sucks (there's too many people and too much competition; ATL's unemployment rate has remained at 10%, the worst in the entire U.S., for entirely too long); the cost-of-living is ridiculously high; it's overcrowded (there are way too many people--population is a whopping 450,000 compared to, say, Chattanooga's population which is 155k or Jackson, Mississippi which is 185k. Traffic is absolutely horrendous -- the vast majority of people spend anywhere from 1-2 hours driving to and from work EACH WAY, even if their workplace is only a fairly short distance from where they reside. That means an average of 3 whole hours wasted sitting in a car on the road in bumper-to-bumper traffic every single weekday, day in and day out. Doesn't leave ANY time for exercise or relaxation or hobbies or socializing. No time to run errands or do housework during week, so you spend your weekends doing it. The pollution is bad. The weather sucks: July, August and September are hot and humid as hell. The seasons are short--seems like we go straight from summer into winter, with just 3 weeks of fall; we hardly ever get snows in winter--if we do, it melts away within 24 hours, not enough time to even enjoy it. Spring (March/April), ATL pretty much morphs into "pollen city" -- everything is coated with yellow dust for two months and it hardly ever rains during that time period, then May is pure rain. Don't even get me started on the politics...God, this is depressing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauranmc
I'm also considering Chattanooga, TN and investigating SC and even Florida. Any suggestions/input would be deeply, deeply appreciated. Any at all. Please.

"Greenville is all I gotta say. You'll love it and there is plenty to do yet you still feel like you're in a smaller metro. Close to Charlotte and close to Atlanta for major amenities. COL is cheaper than NC and a quick drive will have you in those mountains for sure. BTW, why would you hate Atlanta? Even with the "traffic" it's an amazing city!"

Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM

3,593 posts, read 5,840,331 times
Quote:
I'm confused, what is "COL"? Also, which Greenville are you referring to, the one in NC or the one in SC? (I've reposted your post below for reference).Thank you!!!

p.s. To answer your question, I hate Atlanta because the job market sucks (there's too many people and too much competition; ATL's unemployment rate has remained at 10%, the worst in the entire U.S., for entirely too long); the cost-of-living is ridiculously high; it's overcrowded (there are way too many people--population is a whopping 450,000 compared to, say, Chattanooga's population which is 155k or Jackson, Mississippi which is 185k. Traffic is absolutely horrendous -- the vast majority of people spend anywhere from 1-2 hours driving to and from work EACH WAY, even if their workplace is only a fairly short distance from where they reside. That means an average of 3 whole hours wasted sitting in a car on the road in bumper-to-bumper traffic every single weekday, day in and day out. Doesn't leave ANY time for exercise or relaxation or hobbies or socializing. No time to run errands or do housework during week, so you spend your weekends doing it. The pollution is bad. The weather sucks: July, August and September are hot and humid as hell. The seasons are short--seems like we go straight from summer into winter, with just 3 weeks of fall; we hardly ever get snows in winter--if we do, it melts away within 24 hours, not enough time to even enjoy it. Spring (March/April), ATL pretty much morphs into "pollen city" -- everything is coated with yellow dust for two months and it hardly ever rains during that time period, then May is pure rain. Don't even get me started on the politics...God, this is depressing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauranmc

"Greenville is all I gotta say. You'll love it and there is plenty to do yet you still feel like you're in a smaller metro. Close to Charlotte and close to Atlanta for major amenities. COL is cheaper than NC and a quick drive will have you in those mountains for sure. BTW, why would you hate Atlanta? Even with the "traffic" it's an amazing city!"
COL= Cost of Living. Greeville, SC. Good luck!!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:44 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
The only thing with Greenville is that it's overwhelmingly conservative, so it doesn't really fit the "non-conservative/open-minded/progressive artist-intellectuals" that the OP is looking for. Asheville is a much better fit when it comes to that.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM

276 posts, read 417,831 times
I live in Charlotte. I've lived in Raleigh. I wouldn't recommend either.

A lot of good things are said about Asheville, but I hear it's expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or