U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 PM

3,598 posts, read 5,843,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The only thing with Greenville is that it's overwhelmingly conservative, so it doesn't really fit the "non-conservative/open-minded/progressive artist-intellectuals" that the OP is looking for. Asheville is a much better fit when it comes to that.
Yeah I reread the OP and as much as I liked Greenville, it does lean right (but it didn't fel that bad to me). Afterall, Palin held a rally back in 2008 in Asheville, not Greenville. What the OP wants is in abundance in Asheville so therefore it would be the most logical situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,983,276 times
lauramc, all Atlanta can say is get out of here..................

Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 AM

23,076 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauranmc View Post
I'm confused, what is "COL"? Also, which Greenville are you referring to, the one in NC or the one in SC? (I've reposted your post below for reference).Thank you!!!

p.s. To answer your question, I hate Atlanta because the job market sucks (there's too many people and too much competition; ATL's unemployment rate has remained at 10%, the worst in the entire U.S., for entirely too long); the cost-of-living is ridiculously high; it's overcrowded (there are way too many people--population is a whopping 450,000 compared to, say, Chattanooga's population which is 155k or Jackson, Mississippi which is 185k. Traffic is absolutely horrendous -- the vast majority of people spend anywhere from 1-2 hours driving to and from work EACH WAY, even if their workplace is only a fairly short distance from where they reside. That means an average of 3 whole hours wasted sitting in a car on the road in bumper-to-bumper traffic every single weekday, day in and day out. Doesn't leave ANY time for exercise or relaxation or hobbies or socializing. No time to run errands or do housework during week, so you spend your weekends doing it. The pollution is bad. The weather sucks: July, August and September are hot and humid as hell. The seasons are short--seems like we go straight from summer into winter, with just 3 weeks of fall; we hardly ever get snows in winter--if we do, it melts away within 24 hours, not enough time to even enjoy it. Spring (March/April), ATL pretty much morphs into "pollen city" -- everything is coated with yellow dust for two months and it hardly ever rains during that time period, then May is pure rain. Don't even get me started on the politics...God, this is depressing!!!
OK, as far as the commute comment, that might be true if you're doing it from, say, downtown to Suwanee, Dacula, Villa Rica or Covington, but to say that that is the scenario here for even a short distance is a downright falsehood.
Pollution? No more than any other major metro in the US. I'm not particularly bothered by it. My windows are open right now, the skies are azure and I feel fine.
As far as your complaints about Atlanta weather go, I really don't see how a move to Charlotte, Raleigh, Greenville or even Nashville would remedy that. Most are also Piedmont cities with virtually the same kind of weather as Atlanta. Ditto on the state politics.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:23 AM

442 posts, read 704,816 times
Quote:

p.s. To answer your question, I hate Atlanta because the job market sucks (there's too many people and too much competition; ATL's unemployment rate has remained at 10%, the worst in the entire U.S., for entirely too long);
That is not near the worse. It also depends on your field.

Quote:
the cost-of-living is ridiculously high;
Compared to where? South Dakota?

Quote:
it's overcrowded (there are way too many people--population is a whopping 450,000 compared to, say, Chattanooga's population which is 155k or Jackson, Mississippi which is 185k.
What?!?! Have you lived in any other large city? Where are all the density nuts here? Many people complain about the sprawl on this site and think it is overcrowded?!?!

Quote:
Traffic is absolutely horrendous -- the vast majority of people spend anywhere from 1-2 hours driving to and from work EACH WAY, even if their workplace is only a fairly short distance from where they reside. That means an average of 3 whole hours wasted sitting in a car on the road in bumper-to-bumper traffic every single weekday, day in and day out. Doesn't leave ANY time for exercise or relaxation or hobbies or socializing. No time to run errands or do housework during week, so you spend your weekends doing it.
Bull$hit. Unless you are commuting from the far reaches of Gwinnett county to downtown it will not take anywhere near that long and that is if you are going WITH traffic. If you have to sit in your car for 3 hours a day you need to find a place closer to work. The whole errands thing is just silly and fabricated, unless you are just doing something terribly wrong, like going out at rush hour

Quote:
The pollution is bad.
I ride with my windows down when I can. I have allergies and have never had a problem in Atlanta.

Quote:
The weather sucks: July, August and September are hot and humid as hell. The seasons are short--seems like we go straight from summer into winter, with just 3 weeks of fall; we hardly ever get snows in winter--if we do, it melts away within 24 hours, not enough time to even enjoy it. Spring (March/April), ATL pretty much morphs into "pollen city" -- everything is coated with yellow dust for two months and it hardly ever rains during that time period, then May is pure rain. Don't even get me
"
Get out of the South then. You won't be happy anywhere down here if ATL's weather bothers you for those reasons aside from snow.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 AM

18 posts, read 84,349 times
I just did some online research and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently reported that ""metro Atlantans, (on average), spend more than 77 minutes daily just driving to and from work." I had based my "3 hours" comment on my personal experience. I lived in Stone Mountain just outside Decatur (still considered metro Atlanta) and it took me an average of an hour and a half each way, a total of 3 hours, to drive to and from a job located near Georgia State University in downtown Atlanta each day. I then lived in Dunwoody and my job was only 3.5 miles away but it still took me 30 minutes to drive each way, which is absolutely insane. In both of these situations, my commute time was of course during morning and late-afternon/early evening rush hours, with extremely heavy, usually bumper-to-bumper traffic, and at least once every week or two it ended up taking 30 minutes to an hour MORE than that amount of time due to some major accident stalling traffic even further. I'm looking for to live somewhere where I spend no more than 30-45 minutes total on the road driving to and from work -- I think even 77 minutes is crazy.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 AM

Incidentally, everyone's experience and opinions are relative and subjective. There's no need to adopt a hostile tone or take a defensive stance. I do not like living in Atlanta and I wish to move. Someone specifically asked me why I do not like living in Atlanta, and I answered their question based on my personal experiences (which is relative) and my personal opinions (which are subjective).

Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Regarding the unemployment rate in Georgia, facts are facts. The 10% unemployment rate hasn't changed in an entire year, and Georgia ranks the 10th highest unemployment rate in the entire nation. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reported this month:

"Georgia’s unemployment was flat at 10 percent in September, but the number of jobless grew and the number of jobs available dropped, the Georgia Department of Labor reported.
The state agency also noted the unemployment rate was 10.1 percent in September 2009.
September also marked the 36th consecutive month the Peach State had a higher unemployment rate than the nation (9.6 percent)."

Read more: Georgia unemployment rate unchanged - 10% | Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 AM

"Bull****"? "Silly"? "Fabricated"? I think not.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Regarding the unemployment rate in Georgia, facts are facts. The 10% unemployment rate hasn't changed in an entire year, and Georgia ranks the 10th highest unemployment rate in the entire nation. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reported this month:

"Georgia’s unemployment was flat at 10 percent in September, but the number of jobless grew and the number of jobs available dropped, the Georgia Department of Labor reported.
The state agency also noted the unemployment rate was 10.1 percent in September 2009.
September also marked the 36th consecutive month the Peach State had a higher unemployment rate than the nation (9.6 percent)."

Read more: Georgia unemployment rate unchanged - 10% | Atlanta Business Chronicle
You said it was the worst in the nation. So don't bring up strawmen.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I just did some online research and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently reported that ""metro Atlantans, (on average), spend more than 77 minutes daily just driving to and from work." I had based my "3 hours" comment on my personal experience. I lived in Stone Mountain just outside Decatur (still considered metro Atlanta) and it took me an average of an hour and a half each way, a total of 3 hours, to drive to and from a job located near Georgia State University in downtown Atlanta each day. I then lived in Dunwoody and my job was only 3.5 miles away but it still took me 30 minutes to drive each way, which is absolutely insane. In both of these situations, my commute time was of course during morning and late-afternon/early evening rush hours, with extremely heavy, usually bumper-to-bumper traffic, and at least once every week or two it ended up taking 30 minutes to an hour MORE than that amount of time due to some major accident stalling traffic even further. I'm looking for to live somewhere where I spend no more than 30-45 minutes total on the road driving to and from work -- I think even 77 minutes is crazy.
Dunwoody is about 15 miles from Downtown and it takes less then 30 min to get to mid town from there in the morn. I know someone who does it everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or