Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 PM

116 posts, read 215,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'd have to disagree concerning state politics as far as NC is concerned. While far from perfect, state politics are noticeably more moderate in NC than GA and NC doesn't treat its largest city with contempt.
NC is definitely more moderate but I don't know about not treating areas west of Greensboro with contempt. In some ways this is true but I don't understand why they spend so much money on highways in rural eastern NC that could be used on say 485 or the I-85 widening in Cabarrus County. I understand these might be hurricane evacuation routes if I remember right and serve some other purposes, but seeing as the population is not that dense, why would the existing highways not support the traffic? I heard on the news, don't know how true it is but Charlotte is larger than Raleigh but gets half the transporation money. I could believe that as 485 has taken over 20 years to finish, Independence and 85 desperately need widening and the remaining transit lines are either dead or on hold for a while. I haven't spent a lot of time in Raleigh, but every time I took a trip there and during the time I lived there for about 6 months, it seemed like they were always building something new, even last year when I went they were widening 40. And Western NC is even worse off and more neglected imo. But if North Carolina is that much more balanced than GA, people from ATL must be thinking we don't know what rough is...lol poor guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 10:02 PM

116 posts, read 215,583 times
Charlotte's GDP is listed as 118,350 million while Raleigh-Durham is close to 100,000 million i believe so Charlotte is contributing more and receiving less imo.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 PM

63 posts, read 93,349 times
In terms of politics, North Carolina just took a huge leap conservative on Nov. 2. The fine folks of NC voted to give the Republicans big majorities in the state legislature for the first time since 1898!!! No doubt this is partly due to the HUGE backlash of Obama in the state of North Carolina. Now legislation is being drafted to amend the NC state constitution affirming that marriage is ONLY between one man and one woman. And it will pass. Lower taxes are on the way and a cut in govt is also coming. I am pleased

Old 11-27-2010, 01:56 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,381,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I don't understand your logic. What's wrong with mimicking either of those cities and how does that make it overrated?
Atlanta doesn't have its own Identity and they act like Atlanta is the end all of the south as if Miami, DC, Baltimore, Charlotte, Richmond, Memphis, New Orleans, and Norfolk don't exist........

And if Atlanta is such a Major City then why they don't embrace Foreign Ethnic Multiculturalism, they don't have a Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Little Havana, Little Italy, Little Haiti, Greektown, etc.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 AM

442 posts, read 822,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Atlanta doesn't have its own Identity and they act like Atlanta is the end all of the south as if Miami, DC, Baltimore, Charlotte, Richmond, Memphis, New Orleans, and Norfolk don't exist........
Who is saying this? How is this being protrayed by the people considering most are transplants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And if Atlanta is such a Major City then why they don't embrace Foreign Ethnic Multiculturalism, they don't have a Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Little Havana, Little Italy, Little Haiti, Greektown, etc.
So becuase Atlanta does not have segregated enclaves so it is not multicultural? That is dumbest thing I've ever heard and what does that make Buford Highway?

White: 41.4% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 39%)
Black or African American: 51.4%
Native American: 0.1%
Asian: 3.1%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: <0.1%
Some other race: 2.2%
Two or more races: 1.8%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 5.4%

Last edited by sk8t; 11-27-2010 at 02:51 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Why do people get so offended when someone does not like their city?

really...

perspectives.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:20 AM

133 posts, read 409,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm83 View Post
NC is definitely more moderate but I don't know about not treating areas west of Greensboro with contempt. In some ways this is true but I don't understand why they spend so much money on highways in rural eastern NC that could be used on say 485 or the I-85 widening in Cabarrus County. I understand these might be hurricane evacuation routes if I remember right and serve some other purposes, but seeing as the population is not that dense, why would the existing highways not support the traffic? I heard on the news, don't know how true it is but Charlotte is larger than Raleigh but gets half the transporation money. I could believe that as 485 has taken over 20 years to finish, Independence and 85 desperately need widening and the remaining transit lines are either dead or on hold for a while.
I think the state leaders & N.C DOT is playing favoritism when it comes to funding for highway projects in Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and Fayetteville areas. It always been this way for years.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Who is saying this? How is this being protrayed by the people considering most are transplants?

So becuase Atlanta does not have segregated enclaves so it is not multicultural? That is dumbest thing I've ever heard and what does that make Buford Highway?

And these are just City proper numbers. The metro is much more multicultural.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! It's called life in a big city. Everyplace can't be like Boone & Blowing Rock.
I love boone, but there are alot of these people's kids/urban outdoorsman who go up there because its trendy and hip.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,381,702 times
Quote:
Transplants from what other parts of Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama.........

Quote:

The dumbest thing I have ever read is you deep southerners try to twist Multi-Culturalism into a segregationist definition.....

Atlanta is not Multi-Cultural and it is very retarded for people to try to act like Atlanta is on the same track as New York, LA, and Chicago because all three cities is very Mix with multi-Ethnic Foreign Immigrants while Atlanta is still mostly Black and White Americans.....

This why I believe Miami, DC, Baltimore, and NOVA is Far Better than Atlanta and Charlotte when it comes to true multi-Culturalism in the South.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.