U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM

12 posts, read 18,617 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm a frequent creeper on the city-data website, and I have posted a similar thread before about the same thing I am about to ask, but now it's in more specific detail.

Here's the thing.....my three friends and I currently reside in a small Iowa farm town, born and raised. We are looking to move out of here to somewhere a little warmer, more active, and just as or close to as cheap as here. We're all 25 and have pretty good resumes so the job thing is not a big concern and we'll be all rooming together to save money. What we're looking for is a place with a very live and active music scene, since we plan to play gigs and tour on a regular basis (we play alt. rock). Outdoor activities are also a plus since Iowa doesn't offer much. Lakes, bars, hiking, etc etc.

The top 3 places we have come up with thus far is Tennessee (no idea what city), Austin, TX, and Raleigh/Durham, NC. Granted we have never been to any of these places, this is what looks and sounds the best via the internet. We plan to take a road trip to TN in December since it's only a 14 hour drive from here. Our goal is to rent a house out in the boonies of a major/decent sized city. We have no idea what to look up or what to look for anymore. Two of us have lived out west before (Seattle and Vegas), but the cost of living is not reasonable for what we want.

So our wants/needs......good active music scene, cheap/decent cost of living, and somewhere young and fun. What would you guys recommend? Please help and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,340,860 times
If I were you, I'd concentrate my search to Austin and Nashville. They definitely have very active live music scenes, much more so than Raleigh.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 PM

That's what I was thinkin'. The only thing that concerns me about TN is, and this is just an assumption, but wouldn't TN be predominately a country music scene? I have no idea, I'm just assuming. Playing gigs and people enjoying it would be nice, don't think we'd fit in very well with the country scene haha. Austin is my #1 pick so far but their music scene is so big that there's a lot of little fish swimming in a very big pond. What about Memphis?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,340,860 times
Nashville is known for country music, but a lot of people don't know that its music industry goes well beyond country. Memphis has an active music scene as well. As a city, it's grittier than both Nashville and Austin, but I think you should check it out while you're in Tennessee also.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,094,395 times
Yeah I would check out Austin great live music scene plus South By Southwest is here plus plenty of outdoor activities with parks and greenbelts and the area lakes

SXSW.com

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Greenbelts

Highland Lakes Visitors Guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOABhN4hj3I

Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 PM

What do you mean by grittier?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,738,189 times
If a smaller city would work, take a look at Athens, GA. It has a reputation for a good music scene, and, being a college town, it's going to have a young and lively feel.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,094,395 times
Here's a few more Austin Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwN-qJZC_Zg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXDa...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Wi_ptZ35A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmFcubU_5Bs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZqaf...eature=related

Old 11-10-2010, 06:07 AM

5,707 posts, read 8,773,655 times
Check out the entertainment section of metropulse.com for an idea of the music scene in Knoxville.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Without a doubt...Chapel Hill/Carrboro NC. Very non-small fish in big pond-like. Much easier to establish an identity and not get lost in the crowd. Affordable cost of living and good job opportunities in the Raleigh-Durham metro area. It's a young and fun college town (UNC) with a liberal demographic.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro Nightlife: Bars, Music Clubs and Cafes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.