Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most scenic U.S. region?
Hawaii 8 8.99%
Alaska 5 5.62%
California 22 24.72%
Pacific Northwest (OR and WA) 14 15.73%
Desert West (NV, UT, AZ, NM) 8 8.99%
Mountain West (ID, MT, WY, CO) 11 12.36%
Great Plains (ND, SD, NE, KS, OK) 0 0%
South (TX, LA, KY, TN, MS, AL, AR, GA, FL, SC, NC, WV, VA) 5 5.62%
Midwest (MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, IA, MO) 2 2.25%
Mid-Atlantic (MD, DC, PA, NJ, NY) 3 3.37%
New England (VT, NH, ME, MA, CT, RI) 11 12.36%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:57 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times

Advertisements

Thought this would be a fun poll. Considering only scenery, and nothing else, what is your favorite?

I'm biased for Alaska honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
You should have split California, into west (coast and central valley) and east (the deserts) with east California in the Desert West region

Old 09-13-2016, 10:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,038 times
^Agreed. Having said that, I voted for California still...nothing beats the California coast.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You should have split California, into west (coast and central valley) and east (the deserts) with east California in the Desert West region
Only a couple counties in Southern California count as a desert, I don't feel that it was that important to make that distinction. I doubt few people will be on here saying, "I voted California because of Death Valley!" I mean there could be that one person but, people think of the coast when they think of California. Or Yosemite, maybe.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:34 PM

231 posts, read 226,716 times
What a great idea for a thread OP.

I do agree with splitting North and South California, and maybe the coast.

But I mainly think that the lumping together of Southern states is too wide of a net. Texas looks nothing like Southern Appalachia (Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee), which looks nothing like coastal Georgia and Florida.

My vote would be for Southern Appalachia as the most beautiful.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Why split CA when the other regions in the poll combine multiple states? Many equaling a larger area than CA.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
The Columbia River Gorge between OR and WA is still the most beautiful place I've ever seen. The drive from Portland to Hood River is simply awe-inspiring. The first time I saw it, I was 18 and reading The Hobbit for the first time, and I felt like I was in the book, that hobbits and dragons and wizards belonged there. Just magical. I'm now 60, and it still hits me like that every time I see it.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Why split CA when the other regions in the poll combine multiple states? Many equaling a larger area than CA.
This also. I believe all the regions are larger than CA, except for Hawaii, Mid-Atlantic, and New England.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
What a great idea for a thread OP.

I do agree with splitting North and South California, and maybe the coast.

But I mainly think that the lumping together of Southern states is too wide of a net. Texas looks nothing like Southern Appalachia (Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee), which looks nothing like coastal Georgia and Florida.

My vote would be for Southern Appalachia as the most beautiful.
I thought about splitting up the South as well but didn't know how to do it. Considering I've already been given flack for not splitting up CA I probably would get a lot more for attempting to divide the South. I was thinking about throwing Texas in with the Plains region (didn't feel that scenery wise Texas fit with most of the South) but wasn't sure so I decided not to. Also had no idea where to put West Virginia or Missouri either and just threw those around.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The Columbia River Gorge between OR and WA is still the most beautiful place I've ever seen. The drive from Portland to Hood River is simply awe-inspiring. The first time I saw it, I was 18 and reading The Hobbit for the first time, and I felt like I was in the book, that hobbits and dragons and wizards belonged there. Just magical. I'm now 60, and it still hits me like that every time I see it.
Sounds great. I do believe the Hobbit and all the Lords of the Rings movies were filmed in New Zealand. Also Narnia was filmed in New Zealand. Any place that looks like New Zealand at this point is a winner in my book.

However the Gates of the Arctic, the Aleutian Islands, "South Central" Alaska (Denali), and the SE arm around Sitka are automatic wins in my book. I think only the Mountain West and portions of Washington can even compare to that, and you don't get Colorado-like mountains on the coast until due north of Vancouver, BC if my memory is working correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.