U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 PM

275 posts, read 780,937 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24-y/o college graduate, who's lived in Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport News) for a little over 20 years. It's a nice area, but it's just about all I know, except for three years in Dallas. I'm looking to relocate in the next year or so, and have built about four factors:

-Crime rate: I know crime is everywhere, but in many places, it might be concentrated in certain spots. I'd like a nice mix of suburban and city life.

-Job economy: will I have difficulty finding a job, and furthermore, will I be paid what I'm worth?

-Cost of living: looking to live somewhere that won't break the bank, and would like to actually buy a place in the next 3 years.

-Singles scene: somewhere that looks at a man's background and ambitions, and not just the material items. Also somewhere where the singles are accommodating, esp. to someone with a degree and goals.

-Nightlife: I like downtown, but I also like something other than the clubs on a Friday night...on the other hand, I don't consider a visit to IHOP as a night on the town.

The places I've narrowed it down to, are Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. The first two are cool because they're East Coast, the latter two I have family in. I've read a few of the topics here, and was wondering would the cities I listed fit most of the criteria? I'm flexible, but I am looking for somewhere that could fit my factors as close as possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 AM

150 posts, read 645,464 times
Houston, nice urban life, nice downtown, nice nightlife, lowest cost of living out of any major metro, best job growth. From all the things you want, you have the best chance of getting them in Houston, and plus we got the beach, and seriously IMO the most genuine people out of any metro.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 AM

Cool, thanks!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 PM

Bumping...got one city's opinion, would love to hear from others.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:53 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,734,712 times
The Denver/Boulder metro area sounds like just what you are looking for! It has a lot of yuppies, at least in certain parts of town! Look at Boulder, LoDo, Cherry Creek, and also the Denver Tech Center.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:58 PM

351 posts, read 975,698 times
Best Cities for young professionals
bizjournals: Rank of large metros for young adult job seekers (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/73.html#l - broken link)

Top 15 Job Markets
America's best jobs in the hottest markets | 1 | Business 2.0

Old 07-11-2007, 05:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,188,774 times
There are a lot of cities to choose from. Not just your list. But based on your list....

check out threads on Dallas v Houston...always seems to be a ram head through wall debate on it...both are fine for young professionals. Both are very different, ...I would do better in Houston but I am not you.(live inside the loop if you go there or don't go)

I actually know a lot of people who chose between Charlotte and Atlanta. Atlanta of course is much bigger...the people I knew were in your shoes and chose Charlotte and aren't leaving it anytime soon. My issue with Atlanta is it is all suburbia...suburb to suburb traffic etc...I prefer living in cities as a young adult professional. The beaches imo for weekend trips will be better out East if that is a consideration. Cost of living is cheap in all of them. Texas is cheap.

You would do fine in any of your choices. Charlotte is much smaller than the other 3...just an fyi.

If you expand your list let me know.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:16 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
I don't consider a visit to IHOP as a night on the town.
Of course not, as IHOP is where one goes for Sunday brunch!

Old 07-14-2007, 11:41 AM

39 posts, read 157,652 times
I'm partial, but my vote is for Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill (I took the liberty of extending you Charlotte reference). With around 20 universities/colleges in the area there are a lot of educated young professionals. Many of whom stay here after college due to the job market and low cost of living. Housing is affordable and between the three cities there's tons of art/history/science/entertainment/food/bar/nightclub options. I don't know what field you're in, but IT/Tech, Science, Health Care, Marketing/Advertising, Management and Education are all fields that there's typically an abundance of jobs in. Charlotte is better than R-D-Ch if you're in banking or finances, and there are still tons of young professionals.

My brother is working on an advanced degree in Atlanta and he loves it down there. A little bit more expensive to be in the area that it sounds like you're looking for, but a great city none the less. If you do choose Atlanta, and you like dogs, I would highly recommend getting one if you don't already have one. The dog parks in Atlanta are some of the best places to meet people, and a lot of the restaurants around my brothers house have outside seating so you can bring your pet to dinner with you. When I'm down there, having a dog with you = instant party/get together invites.

I've never lived in Houston or Dallas so I can't help you with either of those.

Good luck and I hope you end up in a place that you Love!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:10 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
The places I've narrowed it down to, are Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. The first two are cool because they're East Coast, the latter two I have family in. I've read a few of the topics here, and was wondering would the cities I listed fit most of the criteria? I'm flexible, but I am looking for somewhere that could fit my factors as close as possible.

Thanks!
I think those four are good choices. I'm partial to Dallas over Houston, and Charlotte over Atlanta.

I'd also look at Nashville, Jacksonville, and Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or