U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,785,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I was a minority in one of my old neighborhoods/cities and it never bothered me. As long as I have good neighbors, I don't care what color they are. I think diversity is important, but I found other factors more important when it came to home ownership (lots of open space, big lots, not a lot of ugly development, a sound planning/zoning plan in place) so I wound up buying a house in a predominantly white town.
Exactly. It's about quality of life, regardless of the demographic. My minority-majority/mixed community happens to be a great place to live, but not every city/area has a place like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 PM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
I'm Asian American and proud of my Chinese heritage, but I feel most comfortable in a predominantly though not exclusively white community. My town in Maryland used to be mostly white but then there has been a lot of new immigration, especially from Latin America and Asia. I don't identify with a lot of the new Asian Americans who come here from new York and California because I grew up assimialted and Americanized. I don't have anything against the new Asians at all but its just hard to hang out and be friends with them compared with white Americans.

Like I don't do any stereotypical Asian things like watch anime or play ping pong so a lot of the new people say I'm too white or not Asian enough. This is before they find out I listen to mostly country music, fly the American flag in my window and that I'm a conservative Republican. I respect and welcome people from all over the world given that they are loyal to the U.S. and home here legally and abide by our laws, but its troubling how many newcomers from wherever are so into ethnic politics, identity politics, and just act so "ethnic" and wear their race, ethnicity, and sometimes religion (in the case of Muslims and a very tiny but vocal handful of Jews) on their sleeve. All of my black, Asian, and Hispanic friends are very Americanized or integrated (in the case of African Americans). I don't think its race that divides us, but rather culture.

I think diversity should be respected, people are entitled to their own beliefs, and people should not be discriminated because of their race and I try to be color blind when meeting people, but at the same time our society should not emphasize race and culture so much. White America should welcome immigrants and minorities but minorities also should at least make an effort to Americanize and assimilate and WANT to be accepted. I have a big problem with people refusing to learn English and demanding that ATMs and customer service hotlines speak Spanish to them.

I simply don't feel comfortable in a predominantly non-white or Asian community or even in an ALL-Asian community because its not the kind of place I grew up in. It's not that I've afraid I will get killed or anything, its just that cultural differences make things difficult. I'm not saying the new Aisan American or Hispanic cultures here are better or worse than regular American culture....I'm just more comfortable in the environment I was raised in and the enviornment my family assimilated into. Like it makes me uncomfortable when country music is replaced by music with a Latin feel on the local mix radio stations because I feel "my" culture is disappearing and everything around me just becomes less familar and more foreign.

And here's a question for thought. In an area like Miami or LA where white Americans are the minority, would it be appropriate to have a "white student union" or an "American culture club"?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,203,957 times
Yeah right, those groups would be protested into the ground if they were ever started.

Though down in Miami/South Florida its not so much a white/non-white thing because a lof of the Spanish people in Miami are fairly, or completely white people from Latin America (lots of the Cubans are 100% white from Spain/Canary Islands, and same applies for a lot of other Latin-Americans down there), its more of an English speaking culture v. a Latin American culture.

Of course you could say there is a racial component to it, but I'd argue that its not as big of an issue as it is in a place like Southern California where most of the Spanish speaking people are of Indian extraction and the English speaking people are of European extraction.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 PM

139 posts, read 476,895 times
Historically, countries and cities which are very racially diverse have not been very long lived. There is too great a potential for friction and dissent. We have been, in the United States, in a long period of expansion and affluence, where people tend to happily include others unlike themselves. When times get harder this changes. People contract and pull in, aligning themselves with people who seem like them.
So, to answer the question, I would prefer to live in an area where people are not too different from myself. But, I love to visit places where people are different, and to go to other countries. I have lived in several countries, and felt the experience was enriching.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah right, those groups would be protested into the ground if they were ever started.

Though down in Miami/South Florida its not so much a white/non-white thing because a lof of the Spanish people in Miami are fairly, or completely white people from Latin America (lots of the Cubans are 100% white from Spain/Canary Islands, and same applies for a lot of other Latin-Americans down there), its more of an English speaking culture v. a Latin American culture.

Of course you could say there is a racial component to it, but I'd argue that its not as big of an issue as it is in a place like Southern California where most of the Spanish speaking people are of Indian extraction and the English speaking people are of European extraction.
My community is actually full of Mestizo South Americans. But most Americans just label them as "spanish people", even though they can come in any race. Heck, I met a guy from Peru who was Black and Chinese (or Japanese, can not remember),but is still labeled as "hispanic". Hispanic is way too broad of a term!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:01 PM

35 posts, read 75,436 times
no,this is why i'm moving from dallas..to a city that's prdominanly white and very small.it's kind of funny but do you realise that it's now considered sinful for an area or community to be mostly white? our government attempts to force diversity on these areas.i guarantee you that any city or community that's predominantly white wil sooner or later recieve a court order that low income housing be built there.this is going on now in many cities in america that are pedominantly caucasian

Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 AM

5,952 posts, read 7,322,990 times
No, diversity fails in the end. Look at the Roman Empire, Greek Empire, Austria Hungary; all diverse societies that failed in the end. And can liberals get over the idea there can't be diversity amongst Europeans; do they really think Italians are the same as the English. Things like this is why America is falling we're becoming divided and this is one of the ways.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM

43 posts, read 71,055 times
On the contrary, cities with less Whites ARE diverse...if you look at most U.S cities like NYC Boston etc they all have majority white populations.

America is the same way...overwhelmingly WHITE...so if there is a city (like san jose or miami) with not a majority WHITE...then it is more different than any city in the U.S ... its not the "norm" it is DIFFERENT

Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 AM

18 posts, read 35,882 times
Default I do live in that city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I live in a town that is so ethnically diverse that White people are scarce. In fact people who can link their ethnic backgrounds to Europe are getting very rare nowadays. Most of the people moving into my hometown are Asian, Middle eastern, Black and Hispanic. I can not believe it was a White dominated town 10 years ago.

Most of the people I talk to say the nicest thing about the City is its ethic diversity. They like the fact that no one ethic group dominates the community. They say it is a much better place than 15 years ago when everyone was white.

Would you like to live in a City where White people are now a minority, but no one group dominated? Be honest now.
I DO live in that city. It is called Los Angeles. My life has been hell since I got here five years ago. It is not really like a city any more. It is more like a mess, and it is full of people who never shut up about racism. They hate each other and they hate whites. I can't believe I ever spent one minute of my life fighting for racial justice. If you want to live where people spit, drive and sleep on the sidewalk, come on down. If you want to live where you can't have a quiet coffee with a friend because of the noise, make your way to LA. The only way the people here know how to relate to each other is to try to get things off people. The idea of doing something for themselves does not compute. The thing about "diverse" people is that they do not includes whites in their "diversity." I can't get a cleaning job in this town. I am so sorry for the people who died in the cause of civil rights, and for their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or