Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:58 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

I live in a town that is so ethnically diverse that White people are scarce. In fact people who can link their ethnic backgrounds to Europe are getting very rare nowadays. Most of the people moving into my hometown are Asian, Middle eastern, Black and Hispanic. I can not believe it was a White dominated town 10 years ago.

Most of the people I talk to say the nicest thing about the City is its ethic diversity. They like the fact that no one ethic group dominates the community. They say it is a much better place than 15 years ago when everyone was white.

Would you like to live in a City where White people are now a minority, but no one group dominated? Be honest now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
I was a minority in one of my old neighborhoods/cities and it never bothered me. As long as I have good neighbors, I don't care what color they are. I think diversity is important, but I found other factors more important when it came to home ownership (lots of open space, big lots, not a lot of ugly development, a sound planning/zoning plan in place) so I wound up buying a house in a predominantly white town.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 AM

117 posts, read 507,389 times
I live in an ethnically diverse city that is still racially segregated for the most part. I would love to move somewhere that is more integrated.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Diversity doesnt have to always equal a "scarcity" of whites. A truly diverse area would have equal parts white, black, hispanic, etc.

By the way, to answer your question, I would say no. Its human nature to group with people who are similar to you. Only in recent times has diversity been lauded so much. I still haven't decided if cultural/ethnic diversity in a single area is good or bad. I know there can be much ethnic strife and crime tends to be higher (not to mention bad schools). MAybe someone could list the benefits of cultural diversity?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:31 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
I really don't care if the city I live in has diversity or not, but I do object to the idea of celebrating diversity.

Basically to me, it looks like just a new flavor of the same old racism of the past. The only difference is that whites are the target now.

In a colorblind society, diversity would be meaningless because it just simply would not matter what ethnicity someone is. Each person would be considered individually by their own character, not by race or ethnicity.

Generally I believe that people who talk about how wonderful diversity is, are closet racists. (Present company excluded of course)

Last edited by Lucidus; 07-09-2007 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
I do and I like it.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
No, thank you.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
I'm currently living in the Bronx, one of the most un-white areas of the country (white people only make up 10-15% of the over one million people who live in the Bronx), however my neighborhood is probably around 90% white (and who said that only the South was segregated? ;-) ).. I have also previously lived in a neighborhood that was predominantly Black and Mexican.

I really don't know what to think about this topic to be honest with you. I'm white, but growing up I didn't really have white friends outside of my relatives. All of my friends were black or asian. My parents were also very open minded when it came to racial issues and never used slurs against anyone because of their race or even said any deragatory remarks against non-white people. During college I made a handful of white friends, but my friends and roommates (roommates were picked thru a lottery system & not me) tended to be non-white. I also did a study abroad for a year and lived in an area that only had a few white expatriates and tourists, everyone else was non-white.

Never really had any problems with minority people until I moved into that black and mexican neighborhood though. A lot of people in the neighborhood would curse me out, treat me poorly, or single me out because I was basically the only white person walking around on the street.

This really changed my perceptions of race in this country, mostly because I really did believe that diversity was a good thing for our country. I don't think I can say the same thing now though. If anything I have become very bitter concerning racial issues, because I feel like I was fed a line of BS and bought it hook, line, and sinker when I was growing up.

From here on out I really don't care what happens to non-white people, as I only focus on whats good for my own. This has pissed off more than one of my friends, however it is worth noting that they already had the same mentality (if they are Asian, they only really care what happens to Asian people; if they are Black, they only really care what happens to Black people, etc). Only White people are really expected to cow-tow to this idea of diversity. Basically everyone else is absorbed trying to gain an advantage for their little subsegment of the population.

From my perspective this situation in the country is pretty messed up and is likely only going to get worse in the future.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
I enjoy a great multi-cultural neighborhood/town. The only problem is, its not usually too varied. Most of the time its mainly Hispanics, which is getting old. Sure I love their food (and some good Mariachi bands), but its almost overwhelming in some towns. Id love to see more Asians, Africans, Europeans, Scandinavians, etc. Add a little variety, ya know? Nothing against Hispanics, but sometimes theyre just too deeply seeded, noone else wants to move in. In Chicago proper, there is about every ethnicity you can possibly dream of, and in large quantities too, but I dont live there. haha

Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I live in a town that is so ethnically diverse that White people are scarce. In fact people who can link their ethnic backgrounds to Europe are getting very rare nowadays. Most of the people moving into my hometown are Asian, Middle eastern, Black and Hispanic. I can not believe it was a White dominated town 10 years ago.

Most of the people I talk to say the nicest thing about the City is its ethic diversity. They like the fact that no one ethic group dominates the community. They say it is a much better place than 15 years ago when everyone was white.

Would you like to live in a City where White people are now a minority, but no one group dominated? Be honest now.
A town where white people are "rare" is not "diverse", unless there are many other groups in the city. In my city, there is no dominate group (but plenty of whites), but we have low crime, good school quality, and I enjoy the fact that everyone has something new to bring to the table. A town where a minority group dominates is not "Diverse" or multi-cultural, unless it is MANY minority groups.

I think diversity works, with a few terms and conditions.

1. A common language(Even if many are spoken amongst families)
2. High levels of education
3. A non-established neighborhood (Diversity works much better in newly built areas that were free from some of the old tensions of the U.S) OR
A neighborhood with a reputation for open-mindedness and likewise attitude from the new groups moving in.
5. Good education SYSTEMS.

So, would I live in a super diverse town? I already do. If a community has a high quality of life like mine, then I would without question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.