U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:55 AM

791 posts, read 2,469,415 times

Advertisements

Duke, Vanderbilt, Stetson, and Hopkins universities were funded by individual philanthropists and named for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:13 PM

442 posts, read 707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
What you say makes sense. I will have to do some more research to see about education. While I do not disagree, I find that to be a hard pill to swallow. However, this aristocratic society in the South I believe still exists.
What makes the pill hard to swallow? Give us some reasons.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,078,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
What makes the pill hard to swallow? Give us some reasons.
I'm not sure what you're getting at and why you want me to provide reasons for my own personal opinion. What reasons are you looking for?

Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM

1,939 posts, read 4,000,848 times
There is poverty in every state in the union, just another slam at the South.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:02 PM

442 posts, read 707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at and why you want me to provide reasons for my own personal opinion. What reasons are you looking for?
That is assumed. Unless your opinion has no real factual reasons behind it.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 PM

20,913 posts, read 36,134,371 times
Outliers:

Florida: 7 counties
Okaloosa, Fort Walton Beach-Crestview-Destin metro, Nassau, Jacksonville metro, Clay, Jacksonville metro, St. Johns, Jacksonville, Flagler, Palm Coast micro, Seminole, Orlando-Kissimmee metro, Sarasota, Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice metro.

Maryland: 15 counties
Washington, Hagerstown-Martinsburg metro, Frederick, Washington DC metro, Carroll, Baltimore metro, Baltimore, Baltimore metro, Harford, Baltimore metro, Cecil, Philadelphia metro, Howard, Baltimore metro, Montgomery, Washington DC metro, Anne Arundel, Baltimore metro, Prince George's, Washington DC metro, Queen Anne's, Baltimore metro, Calvert, Washington DC metro, Charles, Washington DC metro, St. Mary's, Lexington Park micro.

West Virginia: 2 counties
Putnam, Charleston metro, Jefferson, Washington DC metro

Oklahoma: 2 counties
Major, rural, Canadian, Oklahoma City metro

Texas 24 counties
Roberts, Pampa micro, Hemphill rural, Carson, Amarillo metro, Randall, Amarillo metro, Borden rural, Irion rural, Glasscock rural, Reagan rural, Archer, Wichita Falls metro, Gillepsie rural, Kendall, San Antonio metro, Collin, Dallas-Ft. Worth metro, Denton, Dallas-Ft. Worth metro, Wise, Dalls-Ft. Worth metro, Kaufman, Dallas-Ft. Worth metro, Ellis, Dallas-Ft. Worth metro, Johnson, Dallas-Ft. Worth metro,
Somervell, Granbury micro, Chambers, Houston metro, Montgomery, Houston metro, Fort Bend, Houston Metro, Brazoria, Houston metro, Willamson County, Austin metro, Comal, San Antonio metro,

Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,078,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
That is assumed. Unless your opinion has no real factual reasons behind it.
Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm lost.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:58 PM

57,127 posts, read 81,546,892 times
I think everyone has made some good points, especially southbel. It does show that the migration is very major city based to the Southeast. So, you will see that counties outside of thos counties are going to be similar to what they have always been and knowing that history puts things into perspective.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 PM

20,913 posts, read 36,134,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think everyone has made some good points, especially southbel. It does show that the migration is very major city based to the Southeast. So, you will see that counties outside of thos counties are going to be similar to what they have always been and knowing that history puts things into perspective.
Basically, the vast percentage of in-migration into the South over the past several decades have been to counties that make up only a few percentage points of the total land area. Big metros are the obvious gainers in the region, with Virginia making the most economic progress of any state in the South. Coincidentally, Virginia also has the highest percentage of residents with a four year degree in the South as well.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 PM

6,571 posts, read 7,722,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
If you look at the evolution of the South, I think the answer lies in there. The South, in the 17th and 18th century, had a class structure with a well defined aristocracy. There was simply no middle class in this structure but rather the very wealthy land owners, then the poor small farmers, followed by the indentured servants and slaves. With the Civil War, this entire society collapsed, with both the landowners and the freed slaves catapulted into severe poverty. Reconstruction, as it was employed, served to reverse the policies and politics, albiet largely unsuccessful until the Civil Rights era of the 60s, with little thought or purpose brought to the reconstruction of the financial markets.

Even when industry finally came to the South in the late 19th century, it was primarily in the form of textile mills. These mills encouraged an uneducated populace and encouraged child labor until the government put a stop to that in the early 20th century. Thus, the majority of the South has been living in poverty for generation after generation. Remember, with the influx of industry moving into the South, this has been a recent phenomena.

I would hesitate to say the South doesn't value education. I believe it does like any other area but it is dealing with a lower tax base to help fund schools, a more geographically widespread poverty issue, and generations of its populace that has lived in poverty.

I was about about to say something similar. We underfund education, comparatively. Most of our growth in industry has been caused through lower taxes, incentives to move here, lower costs of living, and a higher quality of life.

We also, for better or worse, have newer infrastructure that forms our cities. It creates the city that more people want buy into now. In other words most people want a bigger house on a bigger lot and our newly built infrastructure is designed to give people that. Of course, our larger cities now have growing pains, because of this. (traffic)

I will say though... the child labor was pretty much a country-wide phenomena. That was legislated against country wide.

The south has come a long way to improve its education system. Many many people here have access to a decent education.

One of the biggest problems we have now comes down to race. Most people don't like to discuss it, because it is a touchy issue. But, black male students in particular are having trouble graduating high school by large margins, even when education funding is the same. I'm not exactly sure what we need to do to change this and reach out to that demographic, but if you remove the black race from the data the south becomes less poor and the education standards are more much more on par.

I think in the end of the day it takes more time to overcome the social problems created from a couple hundred years of slavery and another hundred years of discrimination laws. It was only 50 years ago that ended. It is also hard to grow academically and socially when your parents and other generations before you can't help you do it. Many do every year, but many many many more don't. The other issues are the populations that are more poor are also likely to have more kids and populate quicker. For better or worse and ignoring any ethics debates that is one reason people want to teach comprehensive sex education, proper use of birth control, and family planning. The general idea is if poorer families are more likely to have 2 kids and time when they have them instead of 4 or 5 unexpected they can put more resources and invest more time in making those kids more successful in life. However, in the south there is a large backlash against any of those programs.

The other issue is the in-migration of people from the midwest and northeast are generally only coming to major cities or wealthier rural areas in the south. This doesn't have much effect of diluting the poverty level in our most impoverished counties.

As far as our cities... we have done alot to remove our housing projects. Some people described them as warehouses for the poor. One of the major components of the removal was to invest resources into mixed-income housing programs where working poor have access to housing with different classes and kids are raised around different kinds of kids and end up in better schools. This is still at the early stages, but there is some evidence to show this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or