U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:17 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times

Advertisements

I hate to keep the political talk going, but I have to say there is little liberal about Georgia. Any state that can elect a governor like Nathan Deal (not to mention Sonny Perdue ten years ago) must be far to the right. Ditto for Georgia's numerous conservative Republican senators. Georgia is a far-right, Tea Party state. Atlanta (city, not suburbs) is a dot of purple in a sea of fire-engine red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 01:11 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,290,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I hate to keep the political talk going, but I have to say there is little liberal about Georgia. Any state that can elect a governor like Nathan Deal (not to mention Sonny Perdue ten years ago) must be far to the right. Ditto for Georgia's numerous conservative Republican senators. Georgia is a far-right, Tea Party state. Atlanta (city, not suburbs) is a dot of purple in a sea of fire-engine red.
No you don't.You just wanted another chance like all other haters of anything South to express your disdain again.The fact that we in NO way were talking about Georgia proves that.Even then you are wrong.Especially seeing how most votes by the state are by a slim margin.Georgia until recently for 10-20 years had a Black female statewide elected State Supreme Court Justice ,2 other black justices on a 7 seat bench,Secretary of Labor,State Attorney General.

Not to mention Sonny Perdue became the first Republican Governor AFTER 145 years of repeated Democratic Leadership.

Quote:
Any state that can elect a governor like Nathan Deal
George Ryan
Rod" Blagojevich
Quote:
Ryan's political career was marred by a scandal involving the illegal sale of government licenses, contracts and leases by state employees during his prior service as Secretary of State; in the wake of numerous convictions of former aides, he chose not to run for reelection in 2002. The scandals are widely believed to have hurt Republicans' chances for re-winning Illinois' governorship. Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan lost to U.S. Representative Rod Blagojevich in the 2002 election, ending 25 years of Republican governorships. All told, seventy-nine former state officials, lobbyists, and others have been since charged in the investigation, and at least 76 have been convicted.
Quote:
The corruption scandal that led to Ryan's downfall began over a decade earlier as a federal investigation into a deadly crash in Wisconsin that killed six children of Rev. Duane "Scott" Willis and his wife, Janet. The investigation revealed a scheme inside Ryan's secretary of state's office in which unqualified truck drivers obtained licenses through bribes. As the AP wrote: "The probe expanded over the next eight years into a wide-ranging corruption investigation that eventually reached Ryan in the governor's office."
In March 2003, Scott Fawell, Ryan's former chief of staff and campaign manager, was convicted along with Ryan's campaign fund on federal charges of racketeering and fraud. Former deputy campaign manager Richard Juliano pled guilty to related charges and testified against Fawell at trial. The investigation finally reached the former governor, and in December 2003, Ryan and lobbyist Lawrence Warner were named in a 22-count federal indictment. The charges included racketeering, bribery, extortion, money laundering and tax fraud. The indictment alleged that Ryan steered several state contracts to Warner and other friends; disbursed campaign funds to relatives and to pay personal expenses; and obstructed justice by attempting to end the state investigation of the license-for-bribes scandal. He was charged with lying to investigators and accepting cash, gifts and loans in return for his official actions as governor. In late 2005, the case went to trial
If by LIBERAL you mean this.Yes I am very proud I live in Georgia.Nathan Deal almost looks like it was a good DEAL compared to what in ILLINOIS!

A lesson in wisdom is to learn about the subject before you speak.
Whose Next?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,336,918 times
Quote:
None of us were thrilled about our choices in Georgia this last election.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,336,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No you don't.You just wanted another chance like all other haters of anything South to express your disdain again.The fact that we in NO way were talking about Georgia proves that.Even then you are wrong.Especially seeing how most votes by the state are by a slim margin.Georgia until recently for 10-20 years had a Black female statewide elected State Supreme Court Justice ,2 other black justices on a 7 seat bench,Secretary of Labor,State Attorney General.

Not to mention Sonny Perdue became the first Republican Governor AFTER 145 years of repeated Democratic Leadership.

George Ryan
Rod" Blagojevich

If by LIBERAL you mean this.Yes I am very proud I live in Georgia.Nathan Deal almost looks like it was a good DEAL compared to what in ILLINOIS!

Whose Next?
Stop being nasty. I love Georgia too, but you're making us look bad.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:07 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

George Ryan
Rod" Blagojevich

Whose Next?
I'm not from Illinois.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Stop being nasty. I love Georgia too, but you're making us look bad.
You have to understand that we have history.Im not just randomly attacking people.Certain people show their true selves over and over.I was simply calling him out.Especially after they had to change their profile name because of trouble they created before.

The fact that you see people on here quick to judge without looking in thier own backyard really gets me agitated.So if Im making Georgia look bad because I caught someone in a clear case of using double-standards?Oh well I digress.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not from Illinois.
Im aware you live in MN and live in GA when you were small.Yet you seemed qualified enough to chime in about that horrible Nathan Deal(I agree) and GA,but you gave Illinois some kinda pass.If you did not know then fine but once again like once before you made statements that were based on personal taste by selective reasoning rather than the whole true facts.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM

33 posts, read 58,697 times
Thank you Arushan. Yes please back to the topic at hand.
I find San Diego boring. Honolulu is too isolated.
Still considering Denver but it might be too cold/snow and too vanilla.
I am now throwing in Miami, West Palm Beach and New Orleans in the mix.
Anybody have experience living in these cities?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 AM

I am interested in insightful information. I know it is hot, humid and hurricane prone in these areas, so this does not need repeating. I also am one of those rare people that likes humidity. The only time I thought it was too hot was the heat wave of 2005 in Chgo! I've spent time in New Orleans, Jamaica, Thailand and Panama and was not bothered AT ALL by the heat.
Again I am interested in other things such as culture, friendliness, cost of living, job market, average age, etc.
Thanks!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 AM

Correction: Heat wave of 1995, not 2005
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.