Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:36 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

To the OP, you might like the Research Triangle area of NC. Carrboro specifically seems to be your cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girltalk View Post
Hello!

I've been in the city 10 years and no doubt Chicago is a great city...just time for a change. I am a native Chicagoan, but have also lived in San Francisco, Seattle and Atlanta.

San Francisco--lots of fun, opportunity, interesting/wacky people, great topography. I liked the size, I did not like the weather. Cold and damp almost year round. I prefer Chgo's four seasons.

Seattle---great coffee, beer, food and scenery. Unfriendly people. while gorgeous in the summer, it is short lived and the rest of the year is terrible. PNW is the worst weather to me.

Atlanta---did not spend a lot of time here. Liked the weather. Did not like that it is a car dependent city and the racism and conservatism.

I am looking for a change in culture from Chicago. Again, I like Chicago, just need to experience something different. My other reasons are the traffic and while we have been experiencing great weather this year, I get depressed in the long bitterly cold grey winters.
I prefer warm weather (even hot), don't mind the change of seasons but as I stated above cannot tolerate rainy grey weather.
Of course I like the mountains and the ocean...but prefer the mountains much more.
I am a foodie and enjoy vegetarian food, good wine, beer and coffee.
Dog friendly city. I am in my early 40's
I am liberal. I enjoy artsy funky places and people. Enjoy live music and bike riding.
I am the jill of all trades, so I am not focused on an area specifically for industry, but need opportunities.

Places I am considering are: Denver, Asheville and Albuquerque.

Based on the above, where do you think I would like? Open to any and all suggestions.
I admit it up front that I am trying to change your mind.You asked a question and gave what you were looking for.All those things you could easily find in the city I live in because I have friends that seem to like what you looking for and they are thriving.
You said you spent little time in Atlanta.If that is so how can you make such broad assumptions on such little knowledge?Is it possible that you came with preconceived notions and/or prejudice against Atlanta?All I can say is that your assertions are totaly contradictory to what I and others see living here everyday.I advise you to look for the things you like in each city and determine by the communities like or dislike with the area they reside and move wherever accordingly.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:50 PM

33 posts, read 66,347 times
I was transferred from a job from SF to Atlanta. I was supposed to be there for a year, I left after 6 months. I did not have preconceived notions of the city. MAJOR culture shock from SF. Atlanta was the worst place I ever lived, could not get out fast enough. You are entitled to your opinion, but I am not a fan of Atlanta. The belief that Atlanta is more liberal than Chgo is just laughable though.
No reason to continue posting about Atlanta on this thread.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I was transferred from a job from SF to Atlanta. I was supposed to be there for a year, I left after 6 months. I did not have preconceived notions of the city. MAJOR culture shock from SF. Atlanta was the worst place I ever lived, could not get out fast enough. You are entitled to your opinion, but I am not a fan of Atlanta. The belief that Atlanta is more liberal than Chgo is just laughable though.
No reason to continue posting about Atlanta on this thread.
I gave u an honest opinion to help you.(So I thought).Based on your nasty retort im glad u left and on to what I hope you find your Utopia.Sometimes maybe its not the surroundings but your attitude.Just a thought....I think San Francisco is the PERFECT place for you.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I gave u an honest opinion to help you.(So I thought).Based on your nasty retort im glad u left and on to what I hope you find your Utopia.Sometimes maybe its not the surroundings but your attitude.Just a thought....I think San Francisco is the PERFECT place for you.

Why is it impossible for you to believe that some people would not like Atlanta - granted we all or many of us like our hometown but people hate/dislike NYC, SF, Philly, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, LV, LA, Dallas etc.

Why do you take it personally

I like Atlanta but honestly not everyone will, why then does this become personal. I know on my hometown some people love it some people dont, that is is fine it is what it is...

Old 11-23-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Why is it impossible for you to believe that some people would not like Atlanta - granted we all or many of us like our hometown but people hate/dislike NYC, SF, Philly, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, LV, LA, Dallas etc.

Why do you take it personally

I like Atlanta but honestly not everyone will, why then does this become personal. I know on my hometown some people love it some people dont, that is is fine it is what it is...
No I dont take it personal.I could care less If whoever moved here.Its not even my ideal place.But some of you insist to ignore the reality that what you write on here says alot about your thought process.I have never said Atlanta was a perfect place for everybody.I have never lied about its flaws.So for some idiot to try to pull it on me like "im some dumb thug" because he feels empowered when not face to face to "talk" to me any kind away;then YES.I do take it personal.He took it there.

But back to whether I think everybody should love Atlanta.NO.
You can go back to all of my threads randomly if you will.You will see that I have been all over the U.S.and there is NEVER been a place I hated other than Camden N.J. and North Philly.Even then I have noted the positives in that city.Same with Detroit.People love to mention Detroit as if it brings them pleasure of a once great cities downfall.

You know I have even said to you about moving and have lived in Philly.So how can I love Atlanta like its the only city yet profess a love for Chicago and Philly.At least when I gave an answer I give a solid reason that tells you why a place is not for me.The OP never really gave an answer other than racism and conservatism ONLY after she/he had stated how she did not even stay in Atlanta long.How do you form a solid opinion of a place without knowing whats going on?That was all I asked.I was not rude I just ask a question that made logical sense to me.

Some expect you to not even give an opinion (as I stated it was not a fact)that from what I consider liberal.Then when I made a honest effort to say while I can see if other people think Chicago is more liberal than Atlanta just as I can see some say Atlanta is more liberal than Chicago.
Yet I am bashed because I have an opinion?

So its laughable where I live in a city that has one of the top three gay populations by percentage and in numbers,elected gay people to public office,had female mayors,black as well,is factually more intergrated than Chicago,has one of the largest most ambitious green city redevelopment projects(The Beltline)EVER only after completing another one prior(Atlantic Station) and yet IM THE ONE THAT ABSURD to at least say there are about the same?Its a major education center which breeds liberal minded people as well as attracting them from elsewhere,the Civil Rights movement roots while Chicago had the worst race riots in the civil rights era where MLK Jr gets hit in the head with a brick.

Atlanta was the first city to mandate that 25% of all contracts would be set aside for minority firms thanks to fmr Mayor Maynard H.Jackson.
Quote:
The result: increased the percentage of contracts to minorities from less than 1% in 1973 to roughly 39% five years later. In the process, strengthened the black middle class, created scores of black millionaires, and bolstered BE 100S companies such as The Gourmet Cos. and H.J. Russell & Co.
Quote:
In terms of black business development, Jackson not only opened doors for African American entrepreneurs in Atlanta, but others nationally. “He got the attention of black mayors, and some white mayors, in other major cities like Detroit, Los Angeles, Boston, and Chicago,†Russell adds. “He helped put us on another plateau in terms of our dollar volume, the larger jobs, and getting joint ventures with major contractors that would not look at us before. He opened the doors where we otherwise would have been shut out.â€
Yes Atlanta was THE model for cities that helped to bring up the middle class of blacks all over the U.S.
If Affirmative Action is not liberal ,then I guess I do not know what it is.

With that I'm out.(as long as im left out of the convo)Good Luck O.P.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Hello!

I've been in the city 10 years and no doubt Chicago is a great city...just time for a change. I am a native Chicagoan, but have also lived in San Francisco, Seattle and Atlanta.

San Francisco--lots of fun, opportunity, interesting/wacky people, great topography. I liked the size, I did not like the weather. Cold and damp almost year round. I prefer Chgo's four seasons.

Seattle---great coffee, beer, food and scenery. Unfriendly people. while gorgeous in the summer, it is short lived and the rest of the year is terrible. PNW is the worst weather to me.

Atlanta---did not spend a lot of time here. Liked the weather. Did not like that it is a car dependent city and the racism and conservatism.

I am looking for a change in culture from Chicago. Again, I like Chicago, just need to experience something different. My other reasons are the traffic and while we have been experiencing great weather this year, I get depressed in the long bitterly cold grey winters.
I prefer warm weather (even hot), don't mind the change of seasons but as I stated above cannot tolerate rainy grey weather.
Of course I like the mountains and the ocean...but prefer the mountains much more.
I am a foodie and enjoy vegetarian food, good wine, beer and coffee.
Dog friendly city. I am in my early 40's
I am liberal. I enjoy artsy funky places and people. Enjoy live music and bike riding.
I am the jill of all trades, so I am not focused on an area specifically for industry, but need opportunities.

Places I am considering are: Denver, Asheville and Albuquerque.

Based on the above, where do you think I would like? Open to any and all suggestions.
The suggestion is to go to the place where you can find a job. Perhaps the OP should look at the 2010 election map for the blue:

2010 Election: Live Election Results Maps for House, Senate and Governors Races (washingtonpost.com)

Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 AM

8 posts, read 23,532 times
I'm not sure when you posted this but curious if you have made a decision where to move?
I am in the same spot, trying to figure out where to live. I'm a native Maryland gal, in my 40's, single, no kids etc. The thought of doing this alone is daunting! I am tired of the cold, expense and rude people. I want a little bit of a slower pace but want an urban feel too.. I consider myself a liberal..so not sure what you would find a non liberal place. Seems the south might be a thought. I've heard great things about Nashville..

Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkiecallie View Post
I'm not sure when you posted this but curious if you have made a decision where to move?
I am in the same spot, trying to figure out where to live. I'm a native Maryland gal, in my 40's, single, no kids etc. The thought of doing this alone is daunting! I am tired of the cold, expense and rude people. I want a little bit of a slower pace but want an urban feel too.. I consider myself a liberal..so not sure what you would find a non liberal place. Seems the south might be a thought. I've heard great things about Nashville..
Nashville is a great choice!People are extremely nice!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 AM

33 posts, read 66,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkiecallie View Post

Hello.

I have not made a decision yet.
Top contenders are Miami, New Orleans and perhaps revisiting the possibility of Austin.
I am familiar with both New Orleans and Austin and plan on visiting the Miami area in a couple months.
Where I am, Chicago, sounds better and better though as I continue to search and explore.
Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.