U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 AM

33 posts, read 58,744 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've been in the city 10 years and no doubt Chicago is a great city...just time for a change. I am a native Chicagoan, but have also lived in San Francisco, Seattle and Atlanta.

San Francisco--lots of fun, opportunity, interesting/wacky people, great topography. I liked the size, I did not like the weather. Cold and damp almost year round. I prefer Chgo's four seasons.

Seattle---great coffee, beer, food and scenery. Unfriendly people. while gorgeous in the summer, it is short lived and the rest of the year is terrible. PNW is the worst weather to me.

Atlanta---did not spend a lot of time here. Liked the weather. Did not like that it is a car dependent city and the racism and conservatism.

I am looking for a change in culture from Chicago. Again, I like Chicago, just need to experience something different. My other reasons are the traffic and while we have been experiencing great weather this year, I get depressed in the long bitterly cold grey winters.
I prefer warm weather (even hot), don't mind the change of seasons but as I stated above cannot tolerate rainy grey weather.
Of course I like the mountains and the ocean...but prefer the mountains much more.
I am a foodie and enjoy vegetarian food, good wine, beer and coffee.
Dog friendly city. I am in my early 40's
I am liberal. I enjoy artsy funky places and people. Enjoy live music and bike riding.
I am the jill of all trades, so I am not focused on an area specifically for industry, but need opportunities.

Places I am considering are: Denver, Asheville and Albuquerque.

Based on the above, where do you think I would like? Open to any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 AM

726 posts, read 1,871,003 times
Sounds like you would like Denver. It offers all you seem to like. It's also cheaper than the other places you have lived (except maybe Atlanta)

Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 AM

56,687 posts, read 80,995,527 times
What about Boulder CO, which is known for being a very liberal city near the mountains and gets plenty of sunshine.

Austin TX is in the Hill Country and could definitely work. There is plenty of opportunity there as well.

Perhaps a place like Knoxville TN could be a sleeper due to having a heavy college presence with the University of Tennessee. It is in the mountains and is affordable.

Some others could be Athens GA, Charlottesville VA, Chapel Hill NC, Clemson SC and even some urban neighborhoods of the major Southern cities like Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Boulder sounds nice, except it is expensive.
How are the winters in Denver? Worse than Chicago?

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,130,277 times
I think Denver is worse than Chicago in the winter. It is colder and there are many more sub zero days. There is also more snow. Chicago can have nice weather into November and even as early as March. Add a few more months to the winter in Denver.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,577,157 times
I was thinking Denver as I read and then you menioned it. Snow's different in Colorado because the humidity is lower. I'm from Detroit and you know how it is with snowballs. You hit someone in the face with a Detroit snowball and they might be going to the hospital. Here you're lucky if the snowball makes it to the target before dissipating.

Sometimes the snow is heavy but as a rule it's not. So the winters aren't as bad as on the lakes. The cold doesn't last as long either.

I'm guessing you're African-American since you mention racism. Be careful. Understand your rights under Title VII and responsibilities to use it. Keep good records. I would advise this under any circumstances but coming from Chicago, I think you're going to witness white privilege in a way you've never seen before.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Hello The Homogenizer,

I am caucasion.

"I would advise this under any circumstances but coming from Chicago, I think you're going to witness white privilege in a way you've never seen before."

Please explain the above to me.

Thank you!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:33 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,577,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girltalk View Post
Hello The Homogenizer,

I am caucasion.

"I would advise this under any circumstances but coming from Chicago, I think you're going to witness white privilege in a way you've never seen before."

Please explain the above to me.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Employment and economics:
Racialized employment networks can benefit whites at the expense of blacks.
White privilege - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2010, 02:10 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,972,432 times
Denver's snowiest month on average is March. Keep that in mind.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:13 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,573,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Boulder CO, which is known for being a very liberal city near the mountains and gets plenty of sunshine.

Austin TX is in the Hill Country and could definitely work. There is plenty of opportunity there as well.

Perhaps a place like Knoxville TN could be a sleeper due to having a heavy college presence with the University of Tennessee. It is in the mountains and is affordable.

Some others could be Athens GA, Charlottesville VA, Chapel Hill NC, Clemson SC and even some urban neighborhoods of the major Southern cities like Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte.
All of these places are in conservative territory. I know the cities themselves lean liberal (except Clemson and Athens), but there are all in the middle of very conservative red states. They're dots of blue in seas of red. Especially Athens, GA, which I would consider more conservative than liberal (I have family there and I've visited there). If the OP didn't like Atlanta, she won't go for any of these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.