U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,121,427 times

Advertisements

This topic thread is not exactly contemplative, but I thought it might be a bit interesting. That is, to ask if any of you have ever misunderstood and/or been confused when someone not from your locale/state/region used an abbreviation for their own...which you mistook for somewhere else.

Ok..ok...perhaps that explanation is confusing...so let me give my own personal example which might clarify:

Several years back I was having a beer in a motel bar in East Texas (actually, I have had lots of beers in lots of motel bars in East Texas, but this particular one during this particular year is the relevant one! ).

I was on a fishing trip and stopped in for a brew. During the course of the evening, I got into a conversation with another guy who was also fishing the area. It came out that neither of us were actually natives of East Texas, so I asked him where he was from. He replied "I'm originally from LA." (phonetically pronounced that way).

Well, my whole frame of reference as regards someone saying they are from "LA" was that the person was from Los Angeles, California.

So, a bit surprised, I replied "You sure don't sound like you are from Los Angeles; you talk like somebody from this part of the country. Have you lived here quite a while?"

The guy laughed and rejoined "Sorry, that confuses people sometime. I meant 'Lower Alabama'!" LOL I bought him a beer over that one!

I confess -- theretofore --I had never heard the southern part of Alabama referred to that way. Later on, I mentioned that episode to a distant cousin of mine from Alabama, and she said along the lines of "For someone as interested in Southern studies as you? You sure made a fool out of yourself!"

Yeah, I guess I did.

So to come the full circle? Has anyone out there ever had something similar occur...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:59 AM

791 posts, read 2,461,257 times
I've heard of airplane baggage getting sent by mistake to Dallas, TX (DFW) instead of Dulles, VA (IAD). And a traveler bound for Sydney, Aust. accidently was flown to Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,994,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This topic thread is not exactly contemplative, but I thought it might be a bit interesting. That is, to ask if any of you have ever misunderstood and/or been confused when someone not from your locale/state/region used an abbreviation for their own...which you mistook for somewhere else.

Ok..ok...perhaps that explanation is confusing...so let me give my own personal example which might clarify:

Several years back I was having a beer in a motel bar in East Texas (actually, I have had lots of beers in lots of motel bars in East Texas, but this particular one during this particular year is the relevant one! ).

I was on a fishing trip and stopped in for a brew. During the course of the evening, I got into a conversation with another guy who was also fishing the area. It came out that neither of us were actually natives of East Texas, so I asked him where he was from. He replied "I'm originally from LA." (phonetically pronounced that way).

Well, my whole frame of reference as regards someone saying they are from "LA" was that the person was from Los Angeles, California.

So, a bit surprised, I replied "You sure don't sound like you are from Los Angeles; you talk like somebody from this part of the country. Have you lived here quite a while?"

The guy laughed and rejoined "Sorry, that confuses people sometime. I meant 'Lower Alabama'!" LOL I bought him a beer over that one!

I confess -- theretofore --I had never heard the southern part of Alabama referred to that way. Later on, I mentioned that episode to a distant cousin of mine from Alabama, and she said along the lines of "For someone as interested in Southern studies as you? You sure made a fool out of yourself!"

Yeah, I guess I did.

So to come the full circle? Has anyone out there ever had something similar occur...?
Reading your story I thought to myself, "LA?, TexasRep will probably think he is talking about Los Angeles, when he is actually talking about LA the postal abbreviation for Louisiana." I guess we were both wrong, lol.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Reading your story I thought to myself, "LA?, TexasRep will probably think he is talking about Los Angeles, when he is actually talking about LA the postal abbreviation for Louisiana." I guess we were both wrong, lol.
LOL I thought about mentioning that potential source of confusion myself. That is, LA being the postal abbreviation for Louisiana. However, I didn't make THAT mistake simply because the "LA" came out in verbal conversation.

If, however, the fellow had written down "LA"? Welllll, that would have brought a second avenue of misunderstanding into the whole equation!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,690,021 times
I only know that LA means lower Alabama because I was stationed down in Hurlburt Field Fla near Fort Walton in the 70's and there were a lot of homeboys stationed there with me. We would never know this in ETx nor La unless we had been down there(near lower Alabama). As I have said before, the familiarity between the two areas is not as it would seem to outsiders. I think that the guy was just making a joke out of it to break the ice maybe, but if he was deadpan serious then he should have realized that the world usually hears LA as Los Angeles.

It wasn't until I started reading CD that I had ever heard of Joco which is Johnson county Kansas. We don't tend to abbreviate much in La or the South as we like to be understood. But up north it seems to be done on a regular basis. Must be the quest for fast speech.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,994,357 times
Quote:
LOL I thought about mentioning that potential source of confusion myself. That is, LA being the postal abbreviation for Louisiana. However, I didn't make THAT mistake simply because the "LA" came out in verbal conversation.

If, however, the fellow had written down "LA"? Welllll, that would have brought a second avenue of misunderstanding into the whole equation!
Los Angeles and Louisiana are the only two places I would have thought LA would stand for

Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I only know that LA means lower Alabama because I was stationed down in Hurlburt Field Fla near Fort Walton in the 70's and there were a lot of homeboys stationed there with me. We would never know this in ETx nor La unless we had been down there(near lower Alabama). As I have said before, the familiarity between the two areas is not as it would seem to outsiders. I think that the guy was just making a joke out of it to break the ice maybe, but if he was deadpan serious then he should have realized that the world usually hears LA as Los Angeles.

It wasn't until I started reading CD that I had ever heard of Joco which is Johnson county Kansas. We don't tend to abbreviate much in La or the South as we like to be understood. But up north it seems to be done on a regular basis. Must be the quest for fast speech.
Yeah, in retrospect it was obvious he was joshing me a bit. And I bit! LOL

Your mention of Kansas made me chuckle as I too have had a few "disconnects" in that regard. My ex is from Kansas and the first time we went up there (she had moved to Texas where we met and married) to visit her family, some of them mentioned a place which I initially heard/translated as "Casey-Moe". What the hell...?

As it was, they were referring to Kansas City, Missouri. KC-MO! Oh lord...

Another incident -- it was on the same original trip -- we crossed the Arkansas River. I commented on it, calling it the "Ar-kin-saw River." Oh man..! Up there, it is called the "Ar-KANSAS" river.

Well, I know, as the old saying goes, "When in Rome...". But I could never quite bring myself to pronounce it that way. I just kept my mouth shut! LOL

Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM

3,795 posts, read 3,456,814 times
I've seen addresses with "LI" at the end, where a state abbreviation is supposed to go. Seems some people use this when referring to an address on Long Island, NY. Not sure if the post office would actually deliver something to an "LI" address or not.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,690,021 times
Quote:
Yeah, in retrospect it was obvious he was joshing me a bit. And I bit! LOL

Your mention of Kansas made me chuckle as I too have had a few "disconnects" in that regard. My ex is from Kansas and the first time we went up there (she had moved to Texas where we met and married) to visit her family, some of them mentioned a place which I initially heard/translated as "Casey-Moe". What the hell...?

As it was, they were referring to Kansas City, Missouri. KC-MO! Oh lord...

Another incident -- it was on the same original trip -- we crossed the Arkansas River. I commented on it, calling it the "Ar-kin-saw River." Oh man..! Up there, it is called the "Ar-KANSAS" river.

Well, I know, as the old saying goes, "When in Rome...". But I could never quite bring myself to pronounce it that way. I just kept my mouth shut! LOL
Haha! Seems like those folks are into some kind of talking I don't understand either. Caseymo. Guess that's how they separate it from CaseyK. And calling that river AR-Kansas. Lord help me.

Oh I know of one- Lake Taneycomo- Taney County Missouri. Seems like people enjoy those abbreviations up there. But then, we have ARK-LA-TEX (OMA) so maybe we are guilty of some of that stuff.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:00 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,721,195 times
"Central PA" can mean Harrisburg-Lancaster-York, or State College which is in the actual middle of the state (Centre County) - about 100 mile variation there, requiring one to know the context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or