Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 PM

43 posts, read 115,261 times

Advertisements

My fiance' and I are wanting to relocate but we are having a really hard time finding a place that "fits" us. I have done a lot of searching/googling and I haven't found much along the lines of what we are looking for. So, I though that maybe someone on here could help.

What we are looking for:

1-We need a place that offers a lot of opportunity for business/finance related jobs as that is why my fiances' degree will be in.

2-I am working on finishing my degree so it would have to have a college/university near by ( I can do some minor research later as to which college would be best , etc.)

3-I want the area to be close to a beach. It doesn't have to be right on the beach (although ideally it would be) but very close.

4-We would also prefer to live in or near a fairly large/medium sized city.

Some Details we prefer but that are not necessarily deal breakers:

1-A somewhat low crime rate would be great.

2-The weather is kind of a biggie in my book. We both favor warm weather and tend to dislike the extremes (although I am more picky). I realize that no matter where we move there are going to be days that are more hot/cold than I would normally like however, I am really hoping to find a place that has an avg. temp in the 70-80's and is not too humid.

3-We really want to keep our cars! I originally looked at San Francisco (fell in love) and then found out that cars are pretty much a no go. Although we haven't ruled San Francisco out, we would really love to keep our cars.

4-Another biggie is the price of living. We are used to paying an avg. of $500-900 to rent a 2-3 house/apt. We assume that rent in most places near a beach and city will be somewhat higher but we have also been told that the pay tends to be higher as well. Were really not sure what to expect since we will be going from making the minimal income working a part time job to working full time job as a young professional. Any help in this area is appreciated

Places we have looked at are: San Francisco CA, Charleston SC, St.Augustine FL.

We like San Francisco and Charleston the most. St.Augustine just seemed a little too touristy and we weren't sure how much we would enjoy actually living there. Charleston may end up being the same way but I haven't had as much time to look into it.

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
LA, Orange County, or San Diego.

Double or triple your rent budget and you're set.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 PM

How is the pay in those areas? Would it compensate for the extra rent we would be paying? Also do you know about the crime rates there?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Florida can be humid if you can handle that then I would suggest the coastal areas of Texas like Corpus Christi it has a similar climate to Florida.

Corpus Christi Hotels, Attractions, Group Tours, Beaches & Texas Vacations in Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi Chamber of Commerce - Your business resource

Texas A&M University Corpus Christi - the Island University

Del Mar College

Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowYourDreams View Post
How is the pay in those areas? Would it compensate for the extra rent we would be paying? Also do you know about the crime rates there?
1. Higher than average. Your mileage may vary. Beaches and low humidity don't come cheap.

2. Not necessarily. However, if you think you can make it in SF, you can make it in anywhere in Southern California.

3. As with everywhere, there are safe and unsafe areas. Nail down a work/school location, and the members on that city/area's forum will help you pick a safe area that won't drive you insane traffic-wise.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 PM

Yeah tell me about it. I looked up rentals in SF Bay area and was blown away. I was expecting more around $1,000-1,500 for a decent 2 bedroom close to downtown, not 2,000-3,000. Other than that and the no car issue I loved everything I have read about CA.

As far a FL and TX go, I am worried about the humidity. Otherwise it would be nice because they are so much closer than CA to TN which is where we live now and we would love to have the option of visiting more often since our family is here.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Have you looked into the Hampton Roads area?

It does fill most of what you're looking for (I can't speak about the jobs part). As for the details part, there are parts of Hampton Rds that are safe. COL is a lot better than what SF would offer. And has good weather as well.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 AM

7 posts, read 10,791 times
I moved to Florida for warmer weather, if you do not like the extreme heat..then don't choose Florida. I am off to California now for the better weather year round. Florida was too hot for me.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Hampton Roads VA? or did you say Colorado? I couldn't find a Hampton Roads in Colorado. Where in Colorado were you suggesting?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Have you looked into the Hampton Roads area?

It does fill most of what you're looking for (I can't speak about the jobs part). As for the details part, there are parts of Hampton Rds that are safe. COL is a lot better than what SF would offer. And has good weather as well.
I thought that area too. Virginia Beach sounds perfect, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.