Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

I think the only downtowns worth a visit are ones that have whites migrate there. Ones with dense neighborhoods and active downtowns. Like where ever you see an American Apparel is usually a sign that many young people are living in a downtown. Some downtowns suck, but some are worth the trip.

I can mention a bunch of cities in California that have these type of downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 04:06 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Personally, I hate to shop so a place where everything is in one location (mall) increases the chances of getting in and getting out quicker. Also, I prefer malls because a centralized downtown shopping area usually means street parking (as opposed to parking lots), homeless people/beggars/people pretending to be homeless, addicts, crazy people and getting wet if it's raining/snowing.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Cities with downtowns in California that I would consider to have a "hip" downtown and that has incorporated new urbanism and certain things that have drawn whites to migrate back to the urban areas are as follows:

San Luis Obispo
Santa Cruz
Santa Barbara
Palo Alto
Berkeley
Davis
Chico
Ventura
Claremont
Burlingame
Santa Monica
Pasadena
Malibu
San Jose
San Diego-Pacific Beach, Hillcrest, Gaslamp
Los Angeles-Hollywood, Studio City, etc...
San Francisco-Union Square, etc..
Santa Ana
Huntington Beach
Long Beach
Costa Mesa

Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A real Lifestyle Center doesn't have streets running through the center of it. That's a "strip center". An actual Lifestyle Center is built like an "island" with parking lots surrounding the stores and pedestrian thoroughfares through the center and of course along the frontage. The concept design is focused on pedestrian-friendly access versus a sea of asphalt. It makes people get out and walk, interact and slow down a bit, versus competitive driving competitions to get to the nearest entrance. Of course they're being built near highways, how else would they be accessed? And actually yes they're being built near population centers (not in cornfields unless it happens to the closest available land to a population center) as they rely on nearby resident traffic since they don't have the pull of a regional mall. It's common sense demographic planning. I'm guessing given your lack of knowledge on the subject you're a knee-jerk NIMBY, otherwise you'd get it.
Actually lifestyle centers or open-air malls are built based on income of an area, so they can be away from population centers. Much like outlet malls can be away from population centers because they become a tourist magnet. Malls were built in population centers-largest city in the regions and usually look where an area has 150,000 population within 25 minute driving time.

In my area, we have an outlet mall and then Downtown San Luis Obispo for shopping. Most people prefer Downtown San Luis Obispo because it has the high-end stores like Talbots, Abercrombie and Fitch, Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, etc...

Not to mention it's full of book stores, cafes, different ethnic resturaunts, a movie theater, frozen yogurt shops, art galleries, independent movie theater, Chipotle, and coffee shops galore.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:59 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,612 times
The main shopping area in Philly is King of Prussia, while many Dt Philly/Center City stores on Chestnut and Walnut Streets have closed. Check out the Liberty tower galleria on Chestnut/Market. Alot of stores have closed. The mall is struggling. I'm not talking about the Galleria on E. Market St. That's a black eye on Philly. The suburban malls have hurt the city proper since most of the upscale stores are not even in the city. That's ashame. I was disappointed.

When Center City is mostly restaurants and some bars with mediocre shopping, that's not a downtown. That's a office park with revelers roaming the town. The historical attractions help Philly tourism, and that is its saving grace.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Okay, I want to know why people see strip malls and restaurant chains as bad chains. Too many strip malls can be bad for a community, but just enough can draw families to shop in a certain town and generate tax revenue and revive cities and towns.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Okay, I want to know why people see strip malls and restaurant chains as bad chains. Too many strip malls can be bad for a community, but just enough can draw families to shop in a certain town and generate tax revenue and revive cities and towns.
Personally, I hate strip malls, because they typically have no character (meaning cheap buildings), are located in a place where I have to pile into the car to get to it, and commonly are filled with chains (Starbucks, Best Buy, etc.).

I see restaurant chains as bad, because I think that small privately owned shops contain better quality food with a unique flavor to it. Chains are run as businesses in the sense that increasing revenue and expanding on locations is more important than providing a good quality product. Pride in what you're serving, and then serving it in a place where there is diversity and a great environment is important to me. I worry that too many young Americans are going to grow up without experiencing a diverse offering of privately-owned shops and restaurants that have new ideas and quality products.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Personally, I hate strip malls, because they typically have no character (meaning cheap buildings), are located in a place where I have to pile into the car to get to it, and commonly are filled with chains (Starbucks, Best Buy, etc.).

I see restaurant chains as bad, because I think that small privately owned shops contain better quality food with a unique flavor to it. Chains are run as businesses in the sense that increasing revenue and expanding on locations is more important than providing a good quality product. Pride in what you're serving, and then serving it in a place where there is diversity and a great environment is important to me. I worry that too many young Americans are going to grow up without experiencing a diverse offering of privately-owned shops and restaurants that have new ideas and quality products.
this right here

Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

Well then there needs to be some sort of balance between the two. Like no more than 3 strip malls per city of 50,000 population. There are only 5 chain restaurants in the largest city near me-Apple Bee's, Olive Garden, Hometown Buffet, California Pizza Kitchen, and Chipotle. Then we have your fast-food joints and I-Hop and Denny's. And pretty sure we have no other dinners like I-hop or Denny's that are open til after midnight.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 PM

I think I like lifestyle centers the best. Only if they are large ones. The one near me has a movie theater, a city hall, offices, 80,000 sq. ft. retail, and plans for a department store. At 200,000 sq. ft+the department store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.