U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 14,442 times

Advertisements

Any New Yorkers on here?

Lots'a outsiders pronounce Houston St. with the Houston like the place in Texas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,265,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
How are you supposed to say it?
nuh-VAD-uh (middle syllable like bad, not bod..)

Old 07-09-2007, 04:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Surprisingly I just learned that it was Nuh-va-duh, I always said Nuh-vah-duh. I also just noticed that the state just started (I think its new LOL) showing it with that little hyphen-like thing over the first "a" in Nevada. I assume thats meant to show the rest of the world how to pronounce it correctly?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:14 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,953,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,718,689 times
I totally agree, it's nuh-vad-uh! Obviously, we pronounce California as "cal-i-forn-yuh," not "kawl-ee-forn-ee-ah." A lot of Southwestern US place names are like that, where the local pronunciation is anglicized, not like the original Spanish. And the popular tourist village in Sedona, AZ is pronounced tuh-LACK-ee-pack-ee. Some people just aren't familiar with these names; but I can't stand snobs who think they are too sophisticated to say these names the American way and purposely try to impress everybody with their knowledge of (classroom) Spanish. The English language has butchered up foreign language words and names for hundreds of years. And there's nothing wrong with that; it's completely natural and makes the language diverse, but still coherent.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,905,446 times
The only ones that come to mind in my area would be Spokane Wa. it's pronownced Spoke-ann , and Moscow Id . is pronnounced Moss-koe .

Old 07-10-2007, 06:20 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-K View Post
Any New Yorkers on here?

Lots'a outsiders pronounce Houston St. with the Houston like the place in Texas..
yuppers. it's HOW-ston!

there's NEW-ERK in NJ, and NEW-ARK in DE.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM

286 posts, read 1,479,165 times
Default What a great thread! Thanks Steve-o!

My hometown area of Michigan has Okemos, a Native American word. Most outsiders chop it up into Oak-KAY-moos but it is locally pronounced Oak-i-mus. Another is Lowell. Outsiders pronouce it like is looks with two syllables Low-well, locals say Luul; a close cousin, Howell, is pronounced Howl but usually mistaken for How-well. A road in the local area that usually gets a few second looks is Onondaga, which is mistaken for some tumbled out version of how it looks, but is said On-nah-dah-gah. I want to say a lot of Michigan people tend to pronounce things the way it looks (at least Mid-Mi folks) when they are in new areas.

I'm having a heck of a time in Ohio.... in my mind, Medina should be Meh-dine-ah, but locally it is Meh-deen-ah. The other one that I just can't bring myself to say the local way is Elyria. My mind plays it as El-lie-rah, but locally it is El-leer-ah.

I'm sure there are more in both places, but I can't seem to remember them all right now.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:03 PM

239 posts, read 1,186,487 times
I was born in Presque Isle Maine. My mom grew up near Bangor. Learned those pronunciations early on but have heard them both 'mangled' much of my life.

Learned early on too, that Oregon is pronounced, "ORE-e-gun" not, "ORE-e-gone" or "ore-e-GONE". Still hear newscaster and other media folk pronounce it, ORE-e-GONE.

However, I blundered with a common town name after moving to Oregon. Eugene, a town I don't live in but have friends & relatives who do; I was pronouncing it, "YOU-gene!" Months after saying that over & over & over again, my husband pulled me aside and said, "you-GENE".

Opps.

I think the thing that irritates me the most, though, is the mispronunciation of the word, "mischievous". There is no VEE in mischievous, as in "mis CHEE VEE ous". It's pronounced like "mischief" only with an "vous" at the end, "MISS-cha-vous".

However, since language is culturally malleable (and well it should be, I guess), I'm seeing that newer dictitionaires and online 'speaking' dictionaires, are now including the (former) mispronunciation as a second pronunciation. It should thus be spelled, "mischievious.'

Old 07-10-2007, 07:22 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
In Mpls. you can always tell an outsider because Nicollet Avenue to them has three syllables. Its Knic-lit, not Ni-coe-llette. That WCCO reporter should take note of the city she is reporting in. Btw, can anyone from New Orleans chime in here? Good God, the city streets and neighborhoods aren't mispronounceable, they are unpronounceable.
Minne--When I first moved to the Twin Cities, I had trouble with Wayzata (Wy-zet'ta). Shakopee (Shocko-pee)and Mahtomedi (Mah Toe Me Die)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.