U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,474,152 times

Advertisements

Post mispronunciations regarding your state, whether it be the state name or a town name that is commonly butchered by outside folks/media/etc/etc.

The reason for this thread is because Im sick and tired of people saying Illinois incorrectly. Not a month goes by when I dont hear someone call it "Ill-i-noise". People, its pronounced "Ill-i-noy". I had to correct 2 people in Arizona on this, and my brother-in-law also said that when he moved down there, he had to correct TONS of people who called it "Ill-i-noise". Then I flipped on the show "The First 48", and that episode had some guy from Illinois who went to Florida and ended up getting killed. Even the detectives on that show were saying "Ill-i-noise". Good grief! LOL

Back on track, Im sure states like Mississippi and Tennessee have their state names misspelled often.

There is also a town in NM called "Abiquiu". I had to ask the locals on the NM how to pronounce it. LOL

So, share your stories! Anyone else bothered by these types of things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Noone? Maybe Im just agitated easily. LOL Either that or I have to wonder what gets taught in schools these days.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,968,804 times
It's hard to mis-pronounce Louisville since there are so many different ways to say it. Most natives call it Loua-vul but others usually call it Looey-ville(ugh) lol

Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 PM

18,622 posts, read 19,587,426 times
Steve-o,
I guess I don't get very upset on the mispronounciation thing. Most of the time I find it amusing. I just correct them and move on.

So a fun one would be Ja Jolla, CA should be pronounced La Hoya.

Funny story. A letter in the local paper from a new transplant to CA was having a problem pronouncing some street and city names. He went on and on about CA should change the names of these streets and towns to something more "english like" so he could pronounce them.

Well needless to say, he got pounded in the paper with rebuttalls.

Oh, where was he from, Connoquenessing, PA.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,270,316 times
Bangor, Maine...
BANG-ORE or BANG-GORE or even Bang-awe if you're local...

NOT Bang-GERR, Or Bungerr, or Bengerr..

We have a lot of Native American and French place names, too, but nobody really expects those to be pronounces correctly on the first attempt..
(Machias, Calais, Isle au Haut, Millinocket, Passadumkeag, Orono, Saco, Madawaska, Lubec etc..)

SORRY- I forgot one of the worst...

If you are coming to Maine, headed to the National Park down by Bar Harbor.. it's ACADIA- not ARcadia.. There's no "r". Never has been, never will be. It's uh-CADE-ee-uh. Please don't call it ARE-cade-ee-uh...you will just sound dumb.... Thank you.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:43 PM

275 posts, read 781,165 times
Norfolk and Suffolk...we joke that you can tell when someone's not from the area, because they pronounce it exactly how it looks. Around here, we say, Naw-fik and Suf-fik...almost like you're cussing. (It won't let me type in how we pronounce the second syllable, even though I didn't spell it as the cuss word...just know that it almost sounds like Naw-F-bomb or Suf-F-bomb lol)

Portsmouth is another one that gets the exact pronunciation...we say Ports-muth, not "mouth".

I once dated a girl from Illinois, and she was pleasantly surprised that I actually knew how to leave the "s" off in my pronunciation.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,801,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Not a month goes by when I dont hear someone call it "Ill-i-noise". People, its pronounced "Ill-i-noy". I had to correct 2 people in Arizona on this, and my brother-in-law also said that when he moved down there, he had to correct TONS of people who called it "Ill-i-noise".
I say "Ill-uh-noy" (but I don't accent the "uh" - it just sounds more like "uh" than "i".) lol. Seriously, anyone who says "Ill-i-noyse" is just ignorant.

We had this same post on the NJ board recently. Before my brother lived out there, I'd say "OR-EH-GONE", when it's actually pronounced "OR-EH-GUN".

Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
It's hard to mis-pronounce Louisville since there are so many different ways to say it. Most natives call it Loua-vul but others usually call it Looey-ville(ugh) lol
LOL

Oops! I call it Louey-ville. I have an excuse though, Im a yankee w/o an accent. LOL

Old 07-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I say "Ill-uh-noy" (but I don't accent the "uh" - it just sounds more like "uh" than "i".) lol. Seriously, anyone who says "Ill-i-noyse" is just ignorant.

We had this same post on the NJ board recently. Before my brother lived out there, I'd say "OR-EH-GONE", when it's actually pronounced "OR-EH-GUN".
Ive heard Oregon mispronounced several times too. I only know the correct pronunciation because there is a Oregon, Illinois, and I lived there for a year, so I know better.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:48 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,763,355 times
In Mpls. you can always tell an outsider because Nicollet Avenue to them has three syllables. Its Knic-lit, not Ni-coe-llette. That WCCO reporter should take note of the city she is reporting in. Btw, can anyone from New Orleans chime in here? Good God, the city streets and neighborhoods aren't mispronounceable, they are unpronounceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.