U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 7,842 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a recently divorced mom (by choice lol) of a 3 year old boy and I now reside in the Midwest, born and raised - however I HATE the snow and always have.

I am soooo over being here and want to move but have no idea where the best places to look might be.

I did move to D.C. and lived in Alexandria VA for a bit some years back but came back to the Midwest simply because of a relationship gone bad. Looking back I wish that I would've given it more of a chance.

I often consider moving back to the East Coast to either D.C. or VA area which I really liked a lot (except for the winters). Lived in D.C. for a bit and then moved to Alexandria (more my living preference - suburbia) while still working in D.C.

I have a friend in Phoenix whose been there for 6 years and they love it out there - a beautiful city but so dang hot and I personally feel that it lacks the cultural diversity that I miss about D.C. for example.

Many friends have mentioned TX but I'm not sure what the appeal is specifically.

At this point I'm not leaning towards one more than the other but I just want feedback on others' opinions that maybe have more experience in any of these areas or others that maybe I haven't thought of.

I'm looking for more professional opportunity being that I have a B.A. and am pursuing my MBA and I just feel stuck here in the Midwest where I'm at. I want to purchase a home within the next 5 years and have my child in a great school and be progressing further now that the divorce is over - start anew again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 2 days ago)

31,323 posts, read 36,955,458 times
Maybe someplace in NC like the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, Greensboro, Charlotte or Winston-Salem. You might like the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA.

As far as Texas, you might like Austin and San Antonio.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 AM

12,379 posts, read 12,331,456 times
Given your criteria for suburbia with cultural diversity I also would recommend Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro in North Carolina. The Raleigh-Cary area of the metro area tends to be a bit "whitebread" and lacks the diversity in my opinion. Chapel Hill and Carrboro in particular are great small towns near bigger cities (Durham and Raleigh) yet offer bigger city amenities without having to commute as much. Employment opportunities are pretty good, with nearby Research Triangle Park and two major universities in the area (UNC and Duke), as well as countless other options. Chapel Hill is the home of the University of North Carolina and Carrboro is the neighboring town that shares many of the same similarities minus the college. Duke is in Durham which is just 15 minutes north. Chapel Hill and Carrboro both offer little congestion, overall safety, walkability, excellent public transit which is a nice option (public transit here is free!), as well as being bike-friendly. The public schools are among not only the best in the state, but the nation. The climate is pretty much a picture-perfect moderate four season climate. It gets hot in the summer for a few weeks but by the time you're starting to get over it, it's done. The same goes for winter. The area is also absolutely beautiful, with lots of greenery and gently rolling hills. Take a drive down and check it out. Good luck!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Town of Chapel Hill : About Chapel Hill Transit
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - CHCCS: Who We are Facts & Figures
The Research Triangle Park
http://www.unc.edu/about/index.htm
http://about.duke.edu/

Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 AM

908 posts, read 958,643 times
New Jersey

Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
New Jersey
LOL You were joking, right?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 AM

908 posts, read 958,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
LOL You were joking, right?
No im not, if she wants good career opportunities and good wages, New Jersey is at the top of the pack.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 7,782 times
There is a nice place in California named Lompoc. It is beautiful, and near to ocean. There are allot of opportunites in health care I presume, as I have only visited there, but when I did, it was just georgeous. Valleys of flowers, beautiful views, quiet, yet, city like. Lots of jobs there too! The area in sort of near Santa Barbara. I hope this helps, and I found this forum through searching for another place to live for myself. Good luck

Old 11-23-2010, 02:03 AM

12,418 posts, read 13,563,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niese97 View Post
Hello, I'm a recently divorced mom (by choice lol) of a 3 year old boy and I now reside in the Midwest, born and raised - however I HATE the snow and always have.

I am soooo over being here and want to move but have no idea where the best places to look might be.

I did move to D.C. and lived in Alexandria VA for a bit some years back but came back to the Midwest simply because of a relationship gone bad. Looking back I wish that I would've given it more of a chance.

I often consider moving back to the East Coast to either D.C. or VA area which I really liked a lot (except for the winters). Lived in D.C. for a bit and then moved to Alexandria (more my living preference - suburbia) while still working in D.C.

I have a friend in Phoenix whose been there for 6 years and they love it out there - a beautiful city but so dang hot and I personally feel that it lacks the cultural diversity that I miss about D.C. for example.

Many friends have mentioned TX but I'm not sure what the appeal is specifically.

At this point I'm not leaning towards one more than the other but I just want feedback on others' opinions that maybe have more experience in any of these areas or others that maybe I haven't thought of.

I'm looking for more professional opportunity being that I have a B.A. and am pursuing my MBA and I just feel stuck here in the Midwest where I'm at. I want to purchase a home within the next 5 years and have my child in a great school and be progressing further now that the divorce is over - start anew again.
You mentioned you like diversity.

What kind of diversity?

Texas is a very diverse state from its people to its cities.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 7,669 times
I am in the exact same boat as you. I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, In and am soo ready to move from hear. I don't know why it has taken me so long. I am single and have a little two year old daughter. I have been looking into the raleigh-durham-chapel hill area. It sounds great so far. The thought of moving and not knowing anyone is a little scary though. I guess that will all come in time. If anybody knows of great childcare places please let me know.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schilm02 View Post
I am in the exact same boat as you. I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, In and am soo ready to move from hear. I don't know why it has taken me so long. I am single and have a little two year old daughter. I have been looking into the raleigh-durham-chapel hill area. It sounds great so far. The thought of moving and not knowing anyone is a little scary though. I guess that will all come in time. If anybody knows of great childcare places please let me know.
Chapel Hill and Carrboro are both very child-care friendly places.

Check out the Community School For People Under Six in Chapel Hill (great program!), Carrboro United Methodist Church's daycare, the Chapel Hill Cooperative Daycare (neat concept!) and Amity United Methodist Church in Chapel Hill as well.

Childcare Information
Community School for People Under Six
Chapel Hill Cooperative Preschool
Day Care Center Amity United Methodist Church - Believe. Belong. Become
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.